NS: Redskins head coach Jay Gruden fires [four from] defensive coaching staff (1 Viewer)

St. Geezy

⚜️
Reaction score
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Skins coach Jay Gruden is parting with his entire defensive staff I&#39;m told. Starting over on that side of the ball</p>&mdash; Jason La Canfora (@JasonLaCanfora) <a href="https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora/status/817056815645097985">January 5, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

With the consistent lack of success we've had on defense, I'm surprised we've never done something similar. Not sure if it is warranted at this juncture, but it is just interesting seeing how other teams handle their defensive woes.

As reference, they finished 28th in yards per game, Saints finished 27th.

They were 19th in points per game allowed, Saints were 31st

If true, that's my kind of guy right there. Nip it in the bud.

if it backfires, he knows he's 100% totally accountable therefore he'll go to great extremes to prevent it from happening. Go out on his own terms.

As reference, they finished 28th in yards per game, Saints finished 27th.

They were 19th in points per game allowed, Saints were 31st

I wonder if signing Josh Norman was a good idea. I am glad we didn't. Having money tie up to one player doesn't make the defense that much better. Ask anyone about Jarius Byrd.

I wonder if signing Josh Norman was a good idea. I am glad we didn't. Having money tie up to one player doesn't make the defense that much better. Ask anyone about Jarius Byrd.
Can I ask them about Von Miller and JJ Watt, too?

I wonder if he is going to make a play for Wade Phillips (if he becomes available), or who he will bring in. Does anyone know if he has some best friends (in coaching) that are looking for work? That seems like a rock solid way of shoring up a coaching staff.

If true, that's my kind of guy right there. Nip it in the bud.

if it backfires, he knows he's 100% totally accountable therefore he'll go to great extremes to prevent it from happening. Go out on his own terms.

We won a SB with Vitt/Johnson held over for 3G to work with in 09. Just saying. They were here for 13 under Ryan.

It's all about the philosophy of the coordinators and how it fits with the players and position coaches. Some schemes have flaws (Spags) and are hard for the players to learn AND the coordinators to teach.

I think the reason we keep Vitt is because he must be good in the classroom. The reason we as a fan base doesn't like him is because we can't seem to develop LB talent. However this kind of Dates SP and his staff. We haven't drafted a good LB in years.

Perhaps it's how we evaluate the talent. The similarities between Martez and Stephone are striking. That whole operation appears to be broken or there is a voice in that room that's remains constant and holds weight. The style and issues are the same. Even that LB we drafted in 2014 was an Athletic talent but had upstairs issues.

We were going to take AJ Hawk in 06 at #2 had Reggie not been available so the story goes. Maybe it is Vitt. He's the 1 constant that appears to have a strong voice in the organization. Heck he was made the defacto HC during SPs suspension.

A cap hit is a cap hit. That's still money you can't spend on something else. Even Von Miller and JJ Watt can be poor performers used incorrectly.

That doesn't sound like the "entire defensive staff". LaCanfora wrong again?
Washington Redskins &#8207;<S>@</S>Redskins <SMALL class=time>1h1 hour ago </SMALL>
The <S>#</S>Redskins announce today the team will not retain the following four assistant coaches: Robb Akey Joe Barry Mike Clark Perry Fewell

Norman was very good this year. But when you have a stud CB you damn well better have another good CB because he's going to get thrown at 20x a game. They didn't have anyone else in the entire secondary that was NFL quality.

When talking sports with fellow fans/friends, the Redskins are my easiest example of a team known for overspending on splashy free agents, changing coaches left and right and other acts of instability. I wouldn't be so quick to use this an example of "progress" just because we once again struggled on D. We struggled on D mainly due to the injuries, chiefly Rankins to start the season.

It's more about the Jimmys and Joes than Xs and Os so they say

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom