N/S NS- USFL's New Orleans Breakers hires Larry Fedora as head coach (mod edit) (2 Viewers)

The best thing they have going is that they are owned by Fox Sports, so one would assume they will get some built in coverage and exposure.

But yeah, if it’s like the old Breakers where me, my dad, and about 3500 other people are the only ones giving a crap then it won’t last.

I’m just tired of the NFL monopoly and their Roger Goodell anti-Saints bs that I’m yearning for this USFL to catch on.
The one advantage to being owned by FOX that wasn’t there ten years ago is that they have FS1.

The best thing they have going is that they are owned by Fox Sports, so one would assume they will get some built in coverage and exposure.

But yeah, if it’s like the old Breakers where me, my dad, and about 3500 other people are the only ones giving a crap then it won’t last.

I’m just tired of the NFL monopoly and their Roger Goodell anti-Saints bs that I’m yearning for this USFL to catch on.
I had a Breakers pennant-style flag on my wall I really wish I'd kept. Stuff kept being thrown away each time the 'rents wanted to redo the house.

The original USFL was this interesting mix of established NFL veterans and camp-body types who were never going to make an NFL roster anyway. Just the names I remember are all over the place.....QB Johnnie Walton, former Rams and Eagles backup when Coury was on Vermeil's staff......RB Marcus Dupree, the famous "greatest that never was" who was a short-time star at Oklahoma when Switzer was there.....RB Buford Jordan, who outperformed Dupree that year and later starred for the Saints......WR Charlie Smith, from Grambling and the Rams and Eagles, played in Super Bowl 15.......WR Frank Lockett, the leading receiver on the team with the modern-day WR body type who had replaced Nolan Franz who had played at Tulane.......TE Dan Ross, who was a top-5 tight end in the NFL with the Bengals and briefly held the Super Bowl record for most receptions in a SB....MLB Marcus Marek, an All-American at Ohio State with big potential but didn't make it past the USFL years as a player.

I loved watching the USFL and cheering for the Breakers back in the day. I recall that Dick Coury would have fans submit trick plays for that week's game (maybe as part of his weekly coaches show) and he would run it!

And, we can't forget that the USFL really gave us a good part of our core for the Saints first successful run under Jim Mora (Philadelphia Stars) including the great Sam Mills and Vaughn Johnson. Also, our own Cajun cannon - Bobby Hebert came to us through the USFL (Minnesota team - can't recall the name).

I guess it's time to break out the wayback machine again. Here's what was the most thrilling game of the original Breakers one season in N.O. The Dick Coury-coached Breakers started 5-0, including this Week 5 barn-burner against the Marv Levy-coached Chicago Blitz. Ended up 8-10 in the 18-game season and went to Portland for the USFL's third and final year.

Damn St Dan you can’t just give us highlights :hihi:

I loved watching the USFL and cheering for the Breakers back in the day. I recall that Dick Coury would have fans submit trick plays for that week's game (maybe as part of his weekly coaches show) and he would run it!

And, we can't forget that the USFL really gave us a good part of our core for the Saints first successful run under Jim Mora (Philadelphia Stars) including the great Sam Mills and Vaughn Johnson. Also, our own Cajun cannon - Bobby Hebert came to us through the USFL (Minnesota team - can't recall the name).
Bobby played for the Michigan team, the Panthers.

L-Fed was our head coach in Hattiesburg at Southern Miss from 2008-2011. He had some success here and the last season he had us within 1 game of an at-large BCS game. He ran a spread offense here and at North Carolina, with plenty of RPO's. Lot's of one back formations, shotgun, and some pistol mixed in here and there. If he gets the right personnel, it's a fun offense to watch.

Last edited:
Honest question, where do the Breakers intend to play if they ever leave the Birmingham USFL bubble?

For those who remember, when the original 1984 Breakers moved to New Orleans to play in the Superdome, it ticked off then-Saints owner John Mecom (an absolutely terrible owner) so much that he started sending his head coach, Bum Phillips and team management publicly to Jacksonville to threaten a move of the team.

Hopefully that kind of silliness can be avoided this time.

Agree and I am finding myself increasingly interested to see how it goes. Hopefully it is successful.

Honest question, where do the Breakers intend to play if they ever leave the Birmingham USFL bubble?

For those who remember, when the original 1984 Breakers moved to New Orleans to play in the Superdome, it ticked off then-Saints owner John Mecom (an absolutely terrible owner) so much that he started sending his head coach, Bum Phillips and team management publicly to Jacksonville to threaten a move of the team.

He had already put the Saints up for sale when the Breakers moved. His coach had also blew the finale against the Rams by a coupla coaching decisions in that game, so the Breakers’ wide-open offense to start the season was a welcome change to what they were used to.

But I wonder the same thing — where are ALL those teams gonna play in 2023 when they hopefully survive the first season?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom