Number of defensive snaps by a LB not named Demario or Anzalone thus far? (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
By my very quick research, number looks to be 3. 3 by Kaden Elliss all in 1st week. None thus far by Baun. None by Robertson. None by Hansen. All the while we haven't even had Davenport in the lineup.

Just very strange to think we're like 98% a full time 2 LB defense. Anzalone of which gets pushed around a bit and isn't some big line stuffing LB.

They're playing that 3 S look they love so much. They did a lot of 4 S looks too.

They're playing that 3 S look they love so much. They did a lot of 4 S looks too.

So why such a need high in the 3rd rd pick of Baun. Is Baun really a backup plan to Anzalone with his health history? Baun isn't on the depth chart behind Anzalone. Why do we need a backup Sam when we don't play a SAM?

So why such a need high in the 3rd rd pick of Baun. Is Baun really a backup plan to Anzalone with his health history? Baun isn't on the depth chart behind Anzalone. Why do we need a backup Sam when we don't play a SAM?
Baun is a long term piece. Covid has hurt all of the rookies.

Hard to make any judgment about what Baun is. He's pretty much learning a new position while transitioning to the NFL with a crazy offseason. A 3rd rounders expectation shouldn't be that high regardless. He's was a talented college player but not a sure thing, that should be the expectation around that point in the draft. Shoot we haven't even seen but a handful of snaps from our 1st rounder so far (granted he was injured for a few weeks).

The NFL is moving toward lighter lineups. I don't think we'll see 98% for the rest of the season but it isn't too surprising. We were only in base 16% of the time last year. That wasn't unusual and some good defenses were lower. It's not like our run defense has largely suffered from it.

Only on our roster. Plenty of rookies in the NFL balling out right out the gate.
Not at the positions that require a lot of communication and coordination between teammates on defense, i.e. LBs and secondary. Rookies will always shine at WR and RB and DL because even though they also work with the line and other receivers, they mainly make their $ based off of attacking and with what they can do with the ball in their hands, not how they interact with others in their position group. OL, TE, and LB are a little different.

I'm sure Baun will get some snaps eventually. At this point I'm just hoping he is a nice rotation piece as the season progresses.

In Week 1 I know we faced a lot of 11-personnel from the Buccaneers which forced a heavy dose of nickel formations. Haven't looked at the tape from the Raiders game (nor do I want to) to see if the case was the same although it wouldn't surprise me if it was.
I usually keep every Saints game on DVR. Not that one. There is nothing to be gained by relooking at that.

Get used to it. Just looking at our schedule you can expect to see two backers on the field most of the time. For one DA wants to maximize the talent he has at Safety and two, we're just not that deep at LB.

In theory our pass defense should be better with more speed on the field. That theory is thrown out the window if the other team has a monster playing TE I guess but the logic is sound. And with the way CGJ plays the run he's like a mini backer.

I thought Baun was more of a pass rusher anyways. 12 sacks his last year.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom