Numerous charges, pleas, and convictions resulting from Mueller investigation (amended) (8 Viewers)

DavidM

Admin Emeritus
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sticky Post
Washington (CNN)A federal grand jury in Washington, DC, on Friday approved the first charges in the investigation led by special counsel Robert Mueller, according to sources briefed on the matter.

The charges are still sealed under orders from a federal judge. Plans were prepared Friday for anyone charged to be taken into custody as soon as Monday, the sources said. It is unclear what the charges are.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/27/politics/first-charges-mueller-investigation/index.html

N.O.Bronco

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
You mean Richard Burr, who even Mark Warner at one time admitted he was doing a great job on it and even CNN today people admitted that committee was well respected on the Hill for the job they were doing? Now if you were talking HIC then yea.
Yes, the same.

It might not be the blatant interference running and partisan driven shirt show of the HIC, but Burr has routinely obfuscated and shut down paths of inquiry that would potentially lead to unfavorable outcomes and call into question the carefully parsed language he has used for the last two years to claim no collusion. For instance he refused to bring in for questioning a number of members inside the White House and the campaign simply because he told others the president might claim privilege. Apparently that is enough to just say fork it and go on Fox and claim no evidence of collusion and decide to leave out some important context. He has also refused to bring back Don Jr. for instance, despite some obvious worthwhile questions that arose after his initial behind closed doors session in 2017. Deciding instead to attack those that suggested it.

Back in August when he released the committees prioritization list, he laid out the current focus of the committee:

• A review of the January 2017 Intelligence Community Assessment
  • A report on election security vulnerability that barely mentions election vendor security
  • The planned report on Obama’s response to the Russian attack
  • The planned (and laudable) report on disinformation on social media
  • Per a bullet in the ICA report, “the contents of the [Steele dossier and its] handling by the United States Government “
Notice anything missing?

That is not someone that is exactly busting down doors to ensure questions about collusion get answered and trying to strive to the fullest letter of his oversight duties. And would you honestly say with a straight face that is how he would play it if it were Hillary? Because it wasn't. Burr has been peddling this line for two years now. But if his recent repeating amounts to anything for people it either signals they probably missed the this was the line for two years or they are looking for some confirmation bias.

Last edited:

N.O.Bronco

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
It's also worth noting that like in past moments, Burr chose a day like this to reiterate his no collusion position. One where some pretty big bombshells dropped about Manafort's lies to the special counsel around discussions with his Russian security linked deputy that occurred around the inauguration that involved possible quid pro quo arrangements along with payment, that the special counsel has framed as being at the "very heart" of what they are investigating.

insidejob

Respect existence or expect resistance.
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
Boy, Matt Whittaker is a complete tool. Actually telling the committee chair, "Your five minutes are up."

This dude ain't gaining any favor he may have had to gain if he'd come in there and treated the people and institution with respect.

This is why they have the subpoena in their back pocket. So they can subpoena him after this hearing to answer for things they deem are lies, or half-truths, etc. And once subpoenaed, he can immediately get locked up in the Capitol's very own jail if he keeps trying to play tough guy.

He still hasn't even answered a single question with a straightforward answer. Even yes or no questions. He's trying to "run out the clock" with this 5 minute clock so he won't have to answer questions. This isn't going to end well for him. They're laying out the playbook for everyone who gets subpoenas from the House going forward.

FullMonte

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
Senate panel chief sees no Trump-Russia collusion so far: report

“If we write a report based upon the facts that we have, then we don’t have anything that would suggest there was collusion by the Trump campaign and Russia,” Republican Richard Burr told CBS News in an interview published on Thursday.
From the same article:

While there has been extensive bipartisan cooperation on the Senate panel, including between Burr and ranking Democrat Mark Warner, Democrats seriously disagree with Burr on evidence of collusion, according to congressional sources familiar with internal committee discussions.

Reaction score
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/10/us/politics/manafort-mueller-russia-inquiry.html

According to the transcript, which was heavily redacted, Mr. Manafort and Mr. Kilimnik repeatedly communicated about a so-called peace plan for Ukraine starting in early August 2016, while Mr. Manafort was still running Mr. Trump’s campaign, and continuing into 2018, months after Mr. Manafort had been charged by the special counsel’s office with a litany of crimes related to his work in the country. The prosecutors claim that Mr. Manafort misled them about those talks and other interactions with Mr. Kilimnik.

“This goes to the larger view of what we think is going on, and what we think is the motive here,” Mr. Weissmann said. “This goes, I think, very much to the heart of what the special counsel’s office is investigating.”
I think we deserve to know the whole truth and not just what the GoP is willing to divulge politically.

Saintamaniac

Purple & Gold for Life
Reaction score
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/10/us/politics/manafort-mueller-russia-inquiry.html

I think we deserve to know the whole truth and not just what the GoP is willing to divulge politically.
Completely agree. I personally think that several GOP lawmakers may get caught up in the investigation. I think some key GOP lawmakers knew the truth and looked the other way while others actively sought to hide what really went on. And it was all allowed to happen because they were able to pass their legislation and get supreme justices they wanted. IMO, it was a calculated risk for them where the ends justified the means. If it turns out to be the case, I hope they all rot in jail.

BobE

Now with Covfefe
Reaction score
Washington (CNN)Former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort deserves 19.5 years to 24.5 years in prison for his conviction for eight financial crimes, special counsel Robert Mueller's office said Friday night.
Manafort, 69, was convicted by a Virginia jury last August for bank fraud, tax fraud and other financial crimes related to the money he earned working for Ukrainian politicians.
"In the end, Manafort acted for more than a decade as if he were above the law, and deprived the federal government and various financial institutions of millions of dollars," prosecutors wrote. "The sentence here should reflect the seriousness of these crimes, and serve to both deter Manafort and others from engaging in such conduct."
Manafort's age should not help him receive a reduced sentence, Mueller's office said.
https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/15/politics/paul-manafort-sentencing-hearing/index.html

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Roger Stone also in new trouble. I remember an observation that a journalist made a few months ago about how the subjects of the Mueller investigation and their interaction with the federal court system are showing that the real world of the criminal justice system doesn’t function like social media - where these people often think they wield real power through their numbers of followers. They soon learn their social media tactics not only have little power of persuasion, they can be harmful.

Here’s a new exhibit of that. How can Stone claim he didn’t mean to disrespect the court?? It seems like that’s exactly what he meant to do. Calling out your criminal judge on Instagram is among the stupidest thing a criminal defendant can do.

2EC65DB6-AC0A-4B0F-B25C-E92CE54F539D.jpeg

The federal judge presiding over Roger Stone’s case said Tuesday she’s considering gagging or jailing the longtime Donald Trump associate after he posted images on Instagram targeting her.
U.S. District Judge Amy Berman Jackson ordered Stone to appear at a Thursday afternoon hearing in Washington, D.C., to explain why his social media posts shouldn't change the terms of Stone’s bond and why she shouldn’t impose harsh new restrictions on his speech.

Story Continued Below
Jackson last Friday issued an order allowing Stone to discuss special counsel Robert Mueller's investigation into the 2016 presidential election, so long as he does not do so around the D.C. courthouse where his case is being heard.
Email
But the judge, an appointee of President Barack Obama, said in that order that she’d be paying close attention to Stone’s commentary and didn’t rule out changing the terms.
Stone, who faces charges of lying to Congress and obstructing its investigation into Russian election meddling, put himself in his latest predicament after posting an image of Jackson on Instagram on Monday with what appeared to be crosshairs in the corner.
He later deleted the photo and posted a new version without the crosshairs image. By the end of the evening, Stone had deleted that photo as well and his lawyers submitted a formal apologyto the court.

“Please inform the Court that the photograph and comment today was improper and should not have been posted,” Stone wrote in Monday night’s court filing. “I had no intention of disrespecting the Court and humbly apologize to the court for the transgression.”
https://www.politico.com/story/2019/02/19/roger-stone-instagram-post-1174793

insidejob

Approved Blogger
Reaction score
Roger Stone also in new trouble. I remember an observation that a journalist made a few months ago about how the subjects of the Mueller investigation and their interaction with the federal court system are showing that the real world of the criminal justice system doesn’t function like social media - where these people often think they wield real power through their numbers of followers. They soon learn their social media tactics not only have little power of persuasion, they can be harmful.

Here’s a new exhibit of that. How can Stone claim he didn’t mean to disrespect the court?? It seems like that’s exactly what he meant to do. Calling out your criminal judge on Instagram is among the stupidest thing a criminal defendant can do.

2EC65DB6-AC0A-4B0F-B25C-E92CE54F539D.jpeg

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/02/19/roger-stone-instagram-post-1174793
Yeah, I read his bail is pretty much revoked at this point after posting the bullseye on the judge's picture. How stupid can he really be? I can see how he and Trump have managed to stay friends for so long honestly.

buzd

party lamp
Staff member
Tech-Admin
Reaction score
Yeah, I read his bail is pretty much revoked at this point after posting the bullseye on the judge's picture. How stupid can he really be? I can see how he and Trump have managed to stay friends for so long honestly.
I'm not so sure his bail will be revoked. I could see a heavier gag order and more restrictions placed on him. Manafort didn't originally get rejailed either, until more charges were brought. I'm curious to see what happens.

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Credible sources now indicating that Mueller is preparing to send final report to the AG, as early as next week.

Justice Department officials are preparing for the end of special counsel Robert S. Mueller III’s nearly two-year investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 election and believe a confidential report could be issued in coming days, according to people familiar with the discussions.

The special counsel’s investigation has consumed Washington since it began in May 2017, and it increasingly appears to be nearing its end, which would send fresh shock waves through the political system. Mueller could deliver his report to Attorney General William P. Barr next week, according to a person familiar with the matter who, like others, spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss sensitive deliberations.

Regulations call for Mueller to submit to the attorney general a confidential explanation as to why he decided to charge certain individuals, as well as who else he investigated and why he decided not to charge those people. The regulations then call for the attorney general to report to Congress about the investigation.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/justice-department-preparing-for-mueller-report-in-coming-days/2019/02/20/c472691c-354b-11e9-af5b-b51b7ff322e9_story.html

insidejob

Approved Blogger
Reaction score
I just finished reading that article and was coming to post it. I wonder if he's going to drop a final round of subpoenas when he files the report. And the state cases that weren't part of Mueller's work are going to be interesting since Trump can't wield pardon power to entice people to keep their mouths shut. And I think the SDNY is going to go after their cases with extra enthusiasm since Trump has been getting away with crimes in New York for quite some time it appears. New Yorkers have hated Trump for decades and that likely goes for the prosecutors in the SDNY as well. The Cohen hearing should reveal a lot about his criminal history in NYC, I'd think.

insidejob

Approved Blogger
Reaction score
I'm not so sure his bail will be revoked. I could see a heavier gag order and more restrictions placed on him. Manafort didn't originally get rejailed either, until more charges were brought. I'm curious to see what happens.
I would think that threatening the judge presiding over your case is a crime and something he could have his bail revoked over. She's the same judge who locked up Manafort too.

I wouldn't be surprised if it goes either way.

mb504

Word.
VIP Contributor
Reaction score

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'll be happy once the report is done. It's really lingered on for too long. I didn't think Trump would be over halfway through his term before this finished up. I mean, we're already starting to look towards 2020. Would this ultimately be a massive waste of time and resources if Trump gets through this unscathed?

I can't stand Trump, but I would think at some point it's time to move on to other things.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 6, Guests: 2)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MV2 Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 36