Nurse & Doctor 'In Training' Pic Causes Stir (1 Viewer)

Additionally, I can say that my medical school class was basically 50/50. So it's worth noting that this norm is no longer a norm...at least in my personal experience at an East coast medical school for whatever that's worth. However, I'm not bold enough to say what should or could be offensive to someone with a totally different experience set from me.

just a couple of years ago, it tipped in the direction of female majority for the first time - very slightly, but still

As far as nursing being dominated by women, to a large extent that is driven by biology. Generally speaking, women are more interested in people than men are and that, in part, drives their career choices. Nothing at all wrong with that.

If they really wanted to stoke the fires of outrage, they should have taken a picture of a male kid nurse in a pink scrub suit and a male kid in the doctor's green scrub suit walking hand-in-hand. People would have lost their heads because "they're trying to program our kids". Lol

This is pretty innocuos to me. I understand the debate surrounding traditional gender roles, but I don't see how this would have any long term impact on that. I happen to think it's cute too. My sister is also a nurse, so I fail to see how becoming one, regardless of traditional gender roles is in any way negative or bad.

If they really wanted to stoke the fires of outrage, they should have taken a picture of a male kid nurse in a pink scrub suit and a male kid in the doctor's green scrub suit walking hand-in-hand. People would have lost their heads because "they're trying to program our kids". Lol

This is pretty innocuos to me. I understand the debate surrounding traditional gender roles, but I don't see how this would have any long term impact on that. I happen to think it's cute too. My sister is also a nurse, so I fail to see how becoming one, regardless of traditional gender roles is in any way negative or bad.

I agree, nursing has become an honorable profession. Not like just a couple of decades ago when the only time I saw people in nursing uniforms was at bachelor parties.

I agree, nursing has become an honorable profession. Not like just a couple of decades ago when the only time I saw people in nursing uniforms was at bachelor parties.

Did they look like this?

tenor.gif

LOL, then there would be a whole different group of people that are offended.

That's the thing that's so absurd about people feigning outrage over what offends someone else. It's always someone easily offended by something else that thinks they have a handle on what everyone should or should not be offended by. It's the height of being obtuse. I may not agree with the people who object to the picture, but I understand where they are coming from. I can acknowledge the historical context without agreeing with the argument. That allows one to objectively participate in the conversation.

It's problematic. What if it was CEO in training and secretary in training - same genders? Or astronaut in training and teacher in training? It's not a good look these days. Not that all of the above aren't honorable professions, but the juxtaposition of the two side by side is instilling support of harmful gender roles and stereotypes that we should be working to get past.

LOL, then there would be a whole different group of people that are offended.

That's the thing that's so absurd about people feigning outrage over what offends someone else. It's always someone easily offended by something else that thinks they have a handle on what everyone should or should not be offended by. It's the height of being obtuse. I may not agree with the people who object to the picture, but I understand where they are coming from. I can acknowledge the historical context without agreeing with the argument. That allows one to objectively participate in the conversation.

Yep.

I also think that we shouldn't push the idea/belief that the only way for women to progress is to seek out traditional male gender roles. Part of that progress of breaking down those gender barriers should also be that we as a society learn to value and fairly compensate the traditional occupations that women have worked in to a greater extent throughout history. Also by removing the stigma of men occupying those roles. I'm thinking of jobs like nursing, teaching, clerical, home care, child care, etc.

Last edited:
My daughters aren’t looking at some god damn “viral pic” and deciding “well crap, I guess I can’t be a doctor.” I think that idea is far more offensive than the “gender-roles” this pic supposedly endorses. Come on.

You obviously don't know how things work in this brave new world of social media, grandpa. :hihi:

I can sort of understand the idea that the girl could have been a doctor and the boy a nurse.

But being a nurse isn’t actually an “inferior” role. Nurses have college degrees and are trained professionals, like engineers or accountants. You can even get a PhD in nursing. The CEO of the hospital I work at is a woman who started as a nurse.

It isn’t a knock to be a nurse. It’s something to be proud of. And I say that as someone who has practiced as a doctor for 17 years now.

I can sort of understand the idea that the girl could have been a doctor and the boy a nurse.

But being a nurse isn’t actually an “inferior” role. Nurses have college degrees and are trained professionals, like engineers or accountants. You can even get a PhD in nursing. The CEO of the hospital I work at is a woman who started as a nurse.

It isn’t a knock to be a nurse. It’s something to be proud of. And I say that as someone who has practiced as a doctor for 17 years now.
Honestly, if I were to be offended, I think an actual nurse would be more offended by someone treating the nursing profession as if it's inferior.

But it's not people looking to be offended. Really, it's the internet is filled with people who all are offended by various things. So it's not the same people being offended each time which leads to the idea there's a group out there looking for offensive things on the internet. Do the people offended by this have any more or less merit than the people offended by kneeling during the anthem or the name Redskins? The internet gives all these groups a voice. And what offends any of them is no less important than what offends you. And based off of the rants you have had here, you do get offended too.
Trying not to derail. Ckaep is first party in that chain.
My annoyance is not first party. I’m annoyed at a person who is annoyed.

Trying not to derail. Ckaep is first party in that chain.
My annoyance is not first party. I’m annoyed at a person who is annoyed.

I'm not sure what you mean, but it sounds like you're clarifying why you were offended. And that's fine. It doesn't take away from my point. You have every right to articulate why something offends you. Your feelings are valid and are shaped by your experiences and perspective. Someone can disagree with you, but they can't say what offends you is not offensive. Or they shouldn't say you're just looking to be offended if you have a genuinely unpleasant reaction to something or it goes against something you believe in. There's a difference between disagreement and trying to invalidate someone, devalue a person's ideals, or discount them as an equal contributor to our society. When someone says that this or that isn't offensive, they're saying that your opinion doesn't mean as much as mine and my opinion should hold sway.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom