NW/DL to Merge (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Looks like I need to dust off and update the resume...

internal01tw0.jpg

Minneapolis Star Tribune | Atlanta Journal Constitution | Delta and Northwest: Creating America's Premier Global Airline

Last edited:
You really think the unions will go for it, MLU? i'm less than convinced they won't drag this out and good.

for the record, i don't think this much consolidation is a good idea. Granted, i don't fly either of these airlines unless i have some sort of emergency. But sooner or later they may consolidate to the point at which my choices are so diminished as not to be choices anymore.

Maybe this type of activity is a good time for the emergence of a well-managed economy-line start-up.

think they finally said to heck with the unions, lets do this...

i'm sure they'd love to have that option, but they can still be delayed considerably by existing and pending collective bargaining agreements.

The ALPA for NWA will probably fight it because the NWA pilots are more senior, but will lose out on their seniority in a merger to DL (I assume because the DL pilots now seem to be onboard with this and that was their sticking point). Delta's frontline employees (the ones that are left) are not union. NWA's frontline people (the ones that are left) are union. However, Northwest has already replaced every single mechanic after they went on strike. Frontline employees would probably be easier to replace and they know it. Same can be said for Flight Attendants. NWA last year outsourced 69 cities and collectively they are doing better than before they were outsourced. With a large pool of Delta pilots who are pretty happy and a flowthrough program with two regional carriers, I wouldn't be one bit surprised to see the new Delta take some Northwest business saavy and call the NWA pilots bluff. They did it once shutting the airline down for two weeks and came out pretty strong. This should be nowhere near as disruptive.

People point to US Airways and America West as what could potentially happen, but I don't really know what is up with those carriers. I do know that NWA will take a nickel and turn it into a dollar quicker than any other legacy carrier.

The current speech is that no hubs will be closed, no frontline employees or pilots will be furloughed. I'm sure that's the case until the merger is approved. Then I expect to see Memphis and Cincinnati closed and regional carriers Comair, Chautauqua and Mesa out of business. ASA, Skywest, Mesaba and Pinnacle will likely make it through. Pinnacle and Mesaba do it the cheapest and Mesaba probably does it the best and cheapest. The new airline will have the Delta name (which is a no-brainer since Delta by far has the more valuable name) and become the largest US carrier to Europe, Japan, Latin America, etc.

You will see the least fuel efficient aircraft retired (MD-80, DC-9, older B737's, etc.) and more B757 Transatlantic and the B747 in Delta livery.

Also, if Memphis shuts down expect it to turn into a Southwest hub. They have been dying to get in there, but know better than to mess with Northwest in Northwest's backyard.

I have mixed feelings. My check is tied up in Northwest's bank account, but my hometown is the birthplace of Delta airlines. It's amazing to think that little Monroe gave birth to a crop dusting service that became the largest airline in the world.

Here is what NWA emailed me as a Worldperks member:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NORTHWEST AIRLINES
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Your WorldPerks # is 0XXXXXXXX

Dear Xxxxx Xxxx,

As a valued Northwest Airlines customer and WorldPerks(R)
member, I wanted you to be among the first to hear that we have
announced a merger with Delta Air Lines. Subject to regulatory
review, our two airlines are joining forces to create America's
premier global airline which, upon closing of the merger, will
be called Delta Air Lines.

By combining Northwest and Delta, we are building a stronger,
more resilient airline that will be a leader in providing
customer service and value. Our combined airline will offer
unprecedented access to the world, enabling you to fly to more
destinations, have more flight choices and more ways than ever
to earn and redeem your WorldPerks miles.

You can be assured that your WorldPerks miles and Elite program
status will be unaffected by this merger. In addition, you can
continue to earn miles through use of partners like WorldPerks
Visa(R). And once the new Delta Air Lines emerges you can look
forward to being a part of the world's largest frequent flyer
program with expanded benefits.

The combined Delta Air Lines will serve more U.S. communities
and connect to more worldwide destinations than any global
airline. Our hubs - both Delta's and Northwest's - will be
retained and enhanced. We will be the only U.S. airline to offer
direct service from the United States to all of the world's
major business centers in Asia, Latin America, Europe, Africa
and around North America.

Both airlines bring tremendous strengths to this new
partnership. Our complementary service networks form an
end-to-end system that is truly greater than the sum of its
parts. This is a merger by addition, not subtraction, which
means all of our hubs - both Northwest's and Delta's - will be
retained. In addition, building on both airlines' proud,
decades-long history of serving small communities, we plan to
enhance global connections to small towns and cities across the
U.S.

All of these positive benefits of our combination mean that we
can:

1. Offer a true global network where our customers will be able
to fly to more destinations, have more schedule options and more
opportunities to earn and redeem frequent flyer miles in what
will become the world's best and most comprehensive frequent
flyer program.

2. Continue to serve our current roster of destinations and to
maintain our hubs in Atlanta, Cincinnati, Detroit, Memphis,
Minneapolis/St. Paul, New York, Salt Lake City, Amsterdam and
Tokyo.

3. Improve our customers' travel experience, through new
products and services including enhanced self-service tools,
better bag-tracking technology, more onboard services, including
more meal options, new seats and refurbished cabins.

While we work to secure approval of our merger, which may take
up to 6 to 8 months, it will be business-as-usual at both
airlines. We will continue to operate as independent airlines
and the people of Northwest will remain focused on providing you
with the very best in safe, reliable and convenient air travel.
At the same time, both airlines will be planning for a seamless
integration of our two airlines, one that delivers to you the
enhanced benefits that will earn - and retain - your preference.

As we work through this process, we will keep you informed at
every step along the way. Thank you for your business and we
look forward to serving you on your next Northwest flight.

Sincerely,

Bob Soukup
Managing Director, WorldPerks

Whatever the airlines are saying right now will change after the merger is approved.

AA bought out Reno Air and promised to keep SJC as a hub - gone

AA brought out TWA and promised to keep STL as a hub - gone

US and HP merged and shortly there after the majority of US people in CLT and PIT (not ato but higher ups) were advised to move to PHX or lose their job. No moving/relocation package.

In BTR you will be in trouble because of the large operation DL runs there. If you have a good relationship with the station GM or CMSs there you may want to start dropping the hints about moving over. It'll take a while before changes are made but you'll want to position yourself for whatever scenario plays out.

They could make you an offer of - choose one of these three destinations to keep your job. ATL, JFK, MIA (just something i've heard with other airlines being taken over - which is similar to this) Pick one or buhbye.

Good luck. Wanna work for AA?

DL doesn't run the operation in BTR. ASA and GAT do.

I don't know how it's going to shake out, but with a NW guy already running DL I am familiar with how he does things. He wants the company who does it the cheapest and he will hold them to the same standard of service. Express Jet in BTR just lost their contract with Continental for this very same reason. They got arrogant and now their employees are taking large paycuts to work for American Eagle or find jobs elsewhere.

I do know that my company is in reasonably good position in the grand scheme of things, but who knows where that leaves me. I know that I do my job and do it well, so I am sure that I can find a place somewhere.

think they finally said to heck with the unions, lets do this...

I think that's the same thing happening to Alitalia. They weren't even invited to the merger talks with Air France / KLM. That's not going to go over well.

DL doesn't run the operation in BTR. ASA and GAT do.

shows you how long it's been since I worked in BTR or even flown in there. Little eagle flights are always full. no room for standbys. I fly into MSY or just drive.

NW and DL don't use the same CRS do they? Shares?

shows you how long it's been since I worked in BTR or even flown in there. Little eagle flights are always full. no room for standbys. I fly into MSY or just drive.

IIRC you're 1 acronym short of the limit. Care to edit your post to include just one more?

:hihi:

IIRC you're 1 acronym short of the limit. Care to edit your post to include just one more?

:hihi:

no.. you see... it was IIRC that was banded!

Actually, acronyms are unavoidable in the airline biz.

ps - Aerobiz is one of my favorite lame games to play of all time. anyone know about this game?

NW uses Worldspan still. DL uses shares. ASA employees said they were supposed to be learning some PARS material a few weeks ago. NWA's system is much less buggy and the programmers seem to be more on top of things than the Shares folks.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom