NY Times "5th down" article on Shockey (link) (1 Viewer)

neworleanshoo

hoodat
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
talks about building rapport with Drew, continuing his aggressive playing style, and Payton's belief in him. but mostly it's just a teaser for the upcoming matchup against the Giants.

A Year Later, Shockey Is Fitting In
By GREG BISHOP

METAIRIE, La. — It took one year, two injuries and zero touchdowns for tight end Jeremy Shockey to feel comfortable here.

In 2008, after the Giants traded him to New Orleans, Shockey suffered from a sports hernia and an ankle injury and a touchdown drought. He still caught 50 passes in 12 games, but he was not the player that Sean Payton, the offensive coordinator in New York for Shockey’s rookie season in 2002, had traded for.

“This game’s hard enough,” Shockey said Wednesday in the Saints’ locker room. “If you’re not healthy, it makes it superhard. Being hurt last year, it wasn’t a good feeling. But in the same sense, I got to step back.”

Then Shockey pointed at the group of reporters surrounding him. He picked one in particular, zeroed in, looked him in the eye.

“That’s the way the game is,” Shockey said, laughing by that point. “If everyone was healthy the whole time, you’d probably be playing.”

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/10/01/a-year-later-shockey-is-fitting-in/

Thank you for the link.

One thing I am loving about Shockey is how much I'm seeing of him--not just making plays he needs to make on the field, but his behavior on the sidelines. He's everywhere. When Bell was injured, Shockey was one of the first to go to him; when Bush was frustrated at having a bad game, Shockey was giving him a pep talk; when anyone scores, Shockey's right there celebrating.

I'd say he's more than fitting in; he looks like an integral piece of the puzzle. He's such a passionate and involved player and it's really good to see him turning that passionate involvement into an asset. He was passionate in NY too, but there it became frustration; it's great to see that now, he's with the right team at the right time and all that emotion he brings is a positive thing.

It just plain makes me happy to see him happy. :)

One thing I am loving about Shockey is how much I'm seeing of him--not just making plays he needs to make on the field, but his behavior on the sidelines. He's everywhere. When Bell was injured, Shockey was one of the first to go to him; when Bush was frustrated at having a bad game, Shockey was giving him a pep talk; when anyone scores, Shockey's right there celebrating.

He's always done that. But apparently some on his old team didn't appreciate it. Payton does:

“He’s healthy now,” Payton said. “I’d rather have a player that’s passionate about what he’s doing. He comes here in the morning, and it’s all football. Bring me a bunch of those guys.”

He praised the Saints fans, who met the team at the Saints’ facility at 1 a.m. last week after they returned from their win at Buffalo.

Kudos to all those who went. I've read so many quotes from players who mention how much it means to them to see the fans lining the road at the airport after an away game

Kudos to all those who went. I've read so many quotes from players who mention how much it means to them to see the fans lining the road at the airport after an away game

:plus-un2:

"Shockey said his injuries have not changed his go-for-broke, physical playing style"

I love his fearless attitude!!! Its always been play hard or go home for him. Shockey gives his all on the field and its nice to see it paying off for him now. Can't wait to see him tearing it up against the Giants in a few weeks!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom