NYT: It's official: Clinton Plans to Press for Florida and Michigan delegates (1 Viewer)

Absolutely.

As Mr. Sparkle said, this will be the first time most of us will get to see an honest to goodness "old school" nominating convention. It will be historic.

I don't want "old school". I want this:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6FDuCfRaj5w&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6FDuCfRaj5w&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

For the first time in my adult life, I'm really looking forward to watching the Democratic Convention.

Same here...knowing full well I'm not voting for anyone who survives it anyway.
/no sarcasm

Also, I wonder if Obama had carried Michigan and Florida if she would be doing this. And if the roles were reversed, if Obama would be doing what Hillary is going to do.
/sarcasm off

Wrestling and politics have at least thing in common as illustrated by this quote from Bobby "The Brain" Heenan:

"Everything is legal as long as you don't get caught."

Last edited:
Absolutely.

As Mr. Sparkle said, this will be the first time most of us will get to see an honest to goodness "old school" nominating convention. It will be historic.

Doubtful. I suspect when you include Super Delegates Obama will be so far ahead he may actually be able to just say "go right ahead and seat them".

What she may end up doing is destroying her credibility for the future.

Doubtful. I suspect when you include Super Delegates Obama will be so far ahead he may actually be able to just say "go right ahead and seat them".

Possibly. I even said in my first post that she would be dumb to attempt it because it would destroy any future shot that she has, whether that shot is in 4 or 8 years.

I don't think she would be successful in any attempt to circumvent the process but Pure Energy is right in stating that we're all kind of secretly hoping that she does go for broke at the convention just for the entertainment value alone. I, for one, do.

That doesn't make me anti Hillary so much as it makes me pro Obama and pro excitement!

The 1964 Dem convention refused to seat a black rogue delegation from Mississippi, keeping their segregated white group official. I'd like to see this again for the entertainment value and the hypocrisy on display. Civil Rights ends when it conflicts with the Hildebeest's birthright.

Exactly. The best thing for Republicans would be for Hillary to remain strong enough to force a fight at the convention. The way she's going this will be all over with well before then.

It's good news for Obama fans, not so much so for McCain fans.

I was just coming here to post the same thing.

And some wonder why I despise the Clintons? Terrible.

"It's all about ME!" will wind up sandbagging the Democrats' chances of taking the White House. And Team Clinton's legacy will be secure. Securely terrible, that is.

It's funny how the media opined that Hillary's last answer in yesterday's debate had a valedictory tone and was allowing herself a graceful exit.

Not likely.

On the other hand, she might be trying to send a signal to her supporters, and those who might support her if it looked like she had a chance, that she is in it for the long haul and that there is the possibility that she could see a large delegate increase that would eat into Obama's lead. Unfortunately for her, it is a tone deaf move which reeks of desparation and arrogance. Does anyone really think it would be fair to seat Michigan's delegation when Obama was told it wouldn't matter and thus didn't put his name on the ticket?

I'm with SBTB though. I don't think it's going to matter, and Obama wraps it up before the convention I bet those delegations get seated.

Wow, this started out as a partisan giggle fest, from all the wanks hoping for a party implosion.

It won't happen. She won't get the delegates seated, and the party won't fracture. If nothing else, the enthusiasm of the black vote and the specter of permanently alienating them from the party will keep even the idiocy of the Democratic party in check.

I suspect that her active campaigning to seat those delegates will likely create a massive backlash against her within the party.

She's an idiot to follow this course of action.

Wow, this started out as a partisan giggle fest, from all the wanks hoping for a party implosion.

It won't happen. She won't get the delegates seated, and the party won't fracture. If nothing else, the enthusiasm of the black vote and the specter of permanently alienating them from the party will keep even the idiocy of the Democratic party in check.

I suspect that her active campaigning to seat those delegates will likely create a massive backlash against her within the party.

She's an idiot to follow this course of action.

Just today I was pondering "what now for Hillary?" My thought was with the nomination all but lost what would she do next? Being a longtime Clinton observer my first thought was her minions still have something nasty waiting for Obama but were waiting until the last possible second to drop it. In order to influence the voting but slow the negative backlash until the primaries are over and she has the nomination. After that she could put out the olive branch and demand "healing" going into the convention.

My second thought was she'll exit the campaign graciously and throw her support behind Obama then return to the senate and regroup. Set up for a possible run in 2012 (if McCain wins or an Obama administration collapses/struggles ala Carter in '80). She could become a Senate leader then set herself up as "the" power broker in Washington.

But now......this is the last act of desperate woman. A full scale "damn the torpedos, full speed ahead" moment. After this what makes anyone think that Clinton would be willing to consider what's best for Democratic party and not herself? She would certainly fracture the Party if it meant she'd get the nomination with the thought that she could "fix everything" after being elected........

Last edited:
Just today I was pondering "what now for Hillary?" My thought was with the nomination all but lost what would she do next? Being a longtime Clinton observer my first thought was her minions still have something nasty waiting for Obama but were waiting until the last possible second to drop it. In order to influence the voting but slow the negative backlash until the primaries are over and she has the nomination. After that she could put out the olive branch and demand "healing" going into the convention.

My second thought was she'll exit the campaign graciously and throw her support behind Obama then return to the senate and regroup. Set up for a possible run in 2012 (if McCain wins or an Obama administration collapses/struggles ala Carter in '80). She could become a Senate leader then set herself up as "the" power broker in Washington.

But now......this is the last act of desperate woman. A full scale "damn the torpedos, full speed ahead" moment. After this what makes anyone think that Clinton would be willing to consider what's best for Democratic party and not herself? She would certainly fracture the Party if it meant she'd get the nomination With the thought that she could "fix it" after being elected........

I hadn't thought about it much, until Saintsfan11 made a rather insightful post about how she could step aside, and really consolidate even more power. Senate majority leader?

It really makes an awful lot of sense--if she doesn't have a great showing in Texas, she could play her cards right and still be the most powerful female figure in political history.

If she pushes down this front, I wouldn't be surprised to see her ostracized from the party. It's really short-sighted and stupid.

Everyones vote should count.

Everyones vote should count.

*** does that mean? We've been down this road. It's a GOP talking point that makes no sense at all.

How about all the GOP voters that were disenfranchised in Louisiana? How about all the voters in Louisiana that were disenfranchised by a closed primary that doesn't allow them to vote openly for the candidate they feel is the best?

Horsecrap.

I hadn't thought about it much, until Saintsfan11 made a rather insightful post about how she could step aside, and really consolidate even more power. Senate majority leader?

It really makes an awful lot of sense--if she doesn't have a great showing in Texas, she could play her cards right and still be the most powerful female figure in political history.

Of course the problem with bowing out is that she is so tantalizingly close to being President, and not just being President but being the first female President. Even a mediocre run as the first female President would make her an incredibly beloved historical figure. There might be a monument on the national mall, or a face on the currency for such an achievement. It's hard to walk away from that, especially since she has an outside shot at still winning.

I don't think her current posturing is neccessarily going to diminish her, but if she follows through she will be damaged. Like I said, this may just be a ploy to convince people she still has a good chance. I think if she see's that she has no chance she will bow out. There is still alot at stake, including a run at the Presidency in four years (maybe even eight), and the aformentioned position of Senate Majority Leader.

Of course the problem with bowing out is that she is so tantalizingly close to being President, and not just being President but being the first female President. Even a mediocre run as the first female President would make her an incredibly beloved historical figure. There might be a monument on the national mall, or a face on the currency for such an achievement. It's hard to walk away from that, especially since she has an outside shot at still winning.

I don't think her current posturing is neccessarily going to diminish her, but if she follows through she will be damaged. Like I said, this may just be a ploy to convince people she still has a good chance. I think if she see's that she has no chance she will bow out. There is still alot at stake, including a run at the Presidency in four years (maybe even eight), and the aformentioned position of Senate Majority Leader.

Another good point.

I don't think, by any means, that she should drop out any time soon...even for the sake of party unity. It's still a very close race, and lots of things could still happen. But as you said, if she actually follows through on trying to seat the delegates, it would be terribly self destructive, IMHO.

If she handles herself gracefully, it would be hard to name a more powerful Democratic figure, except for Obama, should he win the Presidency. Should McCain win, I think her position would be unrivaled.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom