O Line Going Forward (1 Viewer)

saint_drago

I Must Break You
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Nobody does fist pumps and gives high fives after their team drafts a combo Center/Guard, but picks like this can pay off for years. Ruiz was the consensus top interior lineman in the draft. While some have questioned the pick, nobody has questioned the player. By all accounts he has Pro Bowl ability. I love the way our line is shaping up for the future. We're going to have a great blend of size and athleticism. These guys are all young so they'll be able to grow and play together for years.

LT - Terron Armstead, 6'5", 304 lbs, 28 years old (2nd Team All Pro, 2x Pro Bowler)

LG - Andrus Peat, 6'7", 315 lbs, 26 years old (2x Pro Bowler)

C - Erik McCoy, 6'4", 303 lbs, 22 years old (All Rookie Team)

RG - Cesar Ruiz , 6'3", 307 lbs, 20 years old or Larry Warford, 6'3", 330 lbs, 28 years old (3x Pro Bowler)

RT - Ryan Ramczyk, 6'6", 313 lbs, 26 years old (First Team All Pro)

Ruiz joins an accomplished unit adding versatility on the field and cap flexibility off the field. If this line can stay healthy they could be the most complete line in the league. This line should make life easier for the next QB.

It will be awesome, we will unload warford, save stacks of $$$$$$, hopefully get back into the 2nd round and grab a LB or WR.

All is good.

The main question I have is are we looking into trading Warford? Are we going to release him?
I'd think maybe we could trade him after the draft but I don't know how much value he has with his cap hit, though I don't know how much is owed and how much is bonuses

I’m kinda thinking we jump back into the second with a 2021 second or third and Warford trade. I’d be okay with this for the right player.

It will be awesome, we will unload warford, save stacks of $$$$$$, hopefully get back into the 2nd round and grab a LB or WR.

All is good.
I’m kinda thinking we jump back into the second with a 2021 second or third and Warford trade. I’d be okay with this for the right player.

I think considering the amount of salary and that he is on his last year of his contract, I think it is highly optimistic that we can get anything higher than a 4th-5th round pick for Warford.

At that point we have to consider what is more valuable to us, to keep him for another year and let him leave as a free agent, or trade a low draft pick this year.

We may get a better (compensatory) pick then what we may get by trading him this year.

Right now, I can see Warford leaving on a trade, only he is used to go up some spots without giving away picks, or using him and a pick to trade up.

I still think Ruiz is going to play center. McCoy's moving to RG. This year or next.

Not having the numbers in front of me, but is there a chance we keep Warford? I know he's getting paid starter money, but late season injuries have plagued our O-line in recent years. Is there some kind of rotation or packages that Warford could be used in and keep him as insurance? Getting rid of Warford would mean we maintain/improve a top O-line, but still have no depth.

Csp uses an extra lineman a good bit. I can see this working to our advantage by keeping warford. Hopefully warfords restructures.

Nice post except the team feels that despite how well McCoy played at Center, Ruiz will be even better so McCoy is going to Guard.

The main question I have is are we looking into trading Warford? Are we going to release him?
That is a question I posed about a week ago, thinking we could even draft a guy like Ruiz (response to a thread discussing surprise pick potential). My point then, and its real now, is if we did pick a guy like Ruiz then that wold seem to indicate that Warford was gone. For me I now believe we will try everything to get him off the books via a trade and if that doesn't work then cut him prior to camp. Sadly I don't see us getting more than a 4th and more likely a 5tyh round choice, but we will be getting rid of his high cap numbers. Hope we see something transpire during the draft so we can get another pick to tinker with this year!

Not having the numbers in front of me, but is there a chance we keep Warford? I know he's getting paid starter money, but late season injuries have plagued our O-line in recent years. Is there some kind of rotation or packages that Warford could be used in and keep him as insurance? Getting rid of Warford would mean we maintain/improve a top O-line, but still have no depth.
My initial reaction was “trade or release Warford” to save some cap space; however, the more I think about it, the line depth in Brees’ possible (probable?) final season is probably even more valuable. Even if it’s just a game or two at a time (God forbid more serious time away), linemen go down sometimes. We’ve seen how critical interior line stoutness is for Brees.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom