Obama has us small town folk figured out (1 Viewer)

IMO, the worst gaffe of the Obama campaign.

It will surely blow over but it's stunning that a guy who's been pitch perfect so far could make such a bonehead statement.

Not a good way to court the vote of a demographic you're already struggling to reach.

Whatever. Unless something radical occurs, he's still the best hope for the country.

What do you expect from the political class in this country? People who, for the most part, have never had a job in the private sector, never had to meet a payroll, never balanced a checkbook, they go out and beg for money to get elected, and when they get there, think they have all the answers based on convoluted thinking like the above quote from Obama. They know nothing of the real America.

Time for election silliness. First, Dick Cheney's hand holding a fishing rod is a nekkid lady, now Obama just called you all hicks.

Looking forward to what's next with great anticipation.

Time for election silliness. First, Dick Cheney's hand holding a fishing rod is a nekkid lady, now Obama just called you all hicks.

Looking forward to what's next with great anticipation.

The cheny stuff is fluff garbage. this stuff though, I cant let pass. Even if his intentions are pure, which I dont be live they are, its a fairly dumb thing to say. As I noted before, the paragraph was great, dead on, totally right, up until he said that last line.

Sen. Obama

<object height="355" width="425">Sen. Obama

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Sc9PepjyDow&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" height="355" width="425"></object>

this obama b.s. is fluff.........plus cheny has proved his self to be a *edit*

I mean, I'm not saying you are wrong, but could you expound on that?

Also, if you can't see how that speech by Obama was a political misstep, then you might want to pay closer attention to political conversation. Maybe he didn't mean to mess up like that, but it doesn't mean it wasn't a mess up.

Also, be careful on the vieled profanity, I know you used the "*" but you still used "jack" and it's part of the word you were using.

I mean, I'm not saying you are wrong, but could you expound on that?

Also, if you can't see how that speech by Obama was a political misstep, then you might want to pay closer attention to political conversation. Maybe he didn't mean to mess up like that, but it doesn't mean it wasn't a mess up.

Also, be careful on the vieled profanity, I know you used the "*" but you still used "jack" and it's part of the word you were using.

*fixed* sorry about that....but to what i was saying...there was really nothing that obama said that was wrong...but the way he said it , he left himself open to be attacked by way of spin, wrong context,etc....so it was a mistake as far as some political views...but i can see this being wayyyyyyy overblown for weeks going into the future....that's the only way the other 2 canidates can make any leaway....when the campain was just about the issues clinton lost 12 straight states, then she went negative...mccain will join in soon enough, after the dem primary is over....when he starts losing running his clean campain he will go negative too....just tired of that....that's all

*fixed* sorry about that....but to what i was saying...there was really nothing that obama said that was wrong...but the way he said it , he left himself open to be attacked by way of spin, wrong context,etc....so it was a mistake as far as some political views...but i can see this being wayyyyyyy overblown for weeks going into the future....that's the only way the other 2 canidates can make any leaway....when the campain was just about the issues clinton lost 12 straight states, then she went negative...mccain will join in soon enough, after the dem primary is over....when he starts losing running his clean campain he will go negative too....just tired of that....that's all

Thanks for responding......and for the edit! I was actually talking about the comment on the Vice President though. I was wondering what he'd done to raise your ire as much as he obviously does. I mean, lets not rehash the whole hunting accident thing......I mean beyond that of course. Again, I was hoping to glean some understanding by reading your view on him as it regards to his personal politics and such.

I admit my view of the whole administration has taken a somewhat downward turn the last couple of years for various reasons including the war and the circumstances that led us there....but I was wondering about your opinion on Cheney as an individual.

I will comment on the whole "naked lady in the sunglasses" thing.....it's total BS.....I cannot believe that this is what has begun to pass as news in this country.....Walter Cronkite is turning in his grave...*(he IS dead, isnt' he? lol!)

Still trying to figure out what's offensive about these remarks. Is it the word "bitter"? I guess "bitter" can have a negative connotation if you associate it with your psychotic ex-lover who left a dead rabbit boiling in your kitchen pot, but based on Merriam-Webster's definition "bitter" is a valid state-of-being for sane and well-adjusted folk as well. Hell, if my property value doesn't level out soon I'm gonna have "BITTER" branded across my forehead, and no one would mistake me for a small-town unemployed white steelworker.

just saw this post on another board:

To cut through the ^%$^%$ people like Obama spew.
quote:
<hr color="gray" size="1">"You go into some of these small towns in Pennsylvania, and like a lot of small towns in the Midwest, the jobs have been gone now for 25 years and nothing's replaced them," Obama said. <hr color="gray" size="1">​
Unemployment rate in Pennsylvania 25 years ago this month:

13.5%

Unemployment rate in Pennsylvania right now:

4.9%

Too bad the idiots that were there, the idiots that see this on TV and the idiots that read it will never know that Barak served them a big steaming pie of %$#%$#%

Yeah, things are so much better now than 25 years ago....
Manufacturing Job Losses Cripple New Job Creation in Pennsylvania

"As with the rest of the country, Pennsylvania’s hemorrhaging of manufacturing jobs has crippled net new job creation. Since 2001, manufacturing employment in Pennsylvania has declined by 24.3 percent, a loss of 207,300 jobs. Not only are Pennsylvania’s manufacturing job losses considerably worse even than the record shattering U.S. figure of -19.7 percent, but only nine other states have experienced a greater percentage of losses. As a result, Pennsylvania only added a paltry 94,200 jobs for an anemic employment growth rate of 1.7 percent in the last seven years. This growth rate was less than half of the weak 4.2 percent U.S. increase (a 6.9 percent growth rate was necessary for the United States to maintain employment at 2001 participation rates) and the 13th-slowest job growth among the 50 states. Moreover, Pennsylvania’s job losses from the worsening trade deficits with China doubled, from almost 40,000 in 2000 to near 80,000 in 2007, a loss of

40,000 jobs.

As High-Wage Jobs Are Lost, Pennsylvania Incomes Fall While Debt Rises

The loss of higher-wage jobs in manufacturing and in other sectors (almost certainly) caused household incomes to lose purchasing power in Pennsylvania and in the United States for the first time during any business cycle since the Depression. The U.S. Census Bureau has not yet released household income figures for 2007, but inflation-adjusted median incomes fell by $903 (a drop of 1.8 percent) in Pennsylvania and by $962 (a drop of 2.0 percent) nationally between 2000 and 2006. The purchasing power of median household incomes is thought to have stagnated or perhaps fallen slightly in 2007. That is, most households in Pennsylvania and throughout the United States entered the current 2008 recession both with less real income than they had in 2000 and with far more debt."

Manufacturing job losses cripple growth in Pennsylvania

Welcome to McDonalds, may I help you?

Gee, I've never come across ANY small town folk that fit Obama's description. He just pulled that out of thin air!
Shame on him for making the claim that decades of economic depression, politicians' lies, false hopes and unfulfilled promises might contribute to reactionary attitudes and prejudices.

What's interesting is that he goes into predominantly Black audiences, and criticizes those who don't want to hold a job, those who don't get involved in their kids education, who don't ever make their kids turn off the video games and open a book, who embrace homophobia, who don't have money for rent, but buy rims for their car, who blame teachers for their kids' poor grades....he demands that they take responsibility for their own lives rather than pointing fingers........

But that's NOT seen as condescending, but "keeping it real.". Just a bit of a double standard........

"You go into these small towns in Pennsylvania and, like a lot of small towns in the Midwest, the jobs have been gone now for 25 years and nothing’s replaced them...And they fell through the Clinton administration, and the Bush administration, and each successive administration has said that somehow these communities are gonna regenerate and they have not.

And it’s not surprising then they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren’t like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations."
Mayhill Fowler: Obama: No Surprise That Hard-Pressed Pennsylvanians Turn Bitter - Off The Bus on The Huffington Post

So if you live in small town America and believe in gun rights, or religion, or a strong border policy, it's only because you're bitter over the last 25 years of economic policies. I get it. Thanks Obama. By the way, he made this analysis to a gathering of wealthy contributors in San Franscisco, who already no doubt have their own unique view of "fly-over country".

Because wealthy Republicans think so much more of 'the little people.'

He's not so far off. I think he's aiming at extremes of any of the outlets he mentioned. I get it.

I'm from those places, and he's right.

Obama, Hillary, and McCain are totally disconnected. They have people write their speeches. We don't have leaders anymore. These people are drones. I can't believe people buy into this bologna. Bush clinton reagan carter who cares it is all the same.

Because wealthy Republicans think so much more of 'the little people.'

He's not so far off. I think he's aiming at extremes of any of the outlets he mentioned. I get it.

I'm from those places, and he's right.

Why are rich republicans against "little People"? This is far from the truth. Any business owner will say if i get an honest worker then they will have a job. People aren't out to get anyone. Republicans aren't trying to kick the little people down. Perhaps if little people paid more than 5k a year in taxes perhaps they can argue about taxes instead of saying yeah rich don't need tax breaks. We need the money.

Welfare and social security ruined the lower class.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom