Obama possibly could win PA? (1 Viewer)

silverback06

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
John Baer: Obama could actually win this thing (the Pa. primary)
By John Baer
Philadelphia Daily News

Daily News Political Columnist

BARACK OBAMA had a pretty good week in Pennsylvania.
In a state that pollsters and analysts call tailor-made for Hillary Clinton, Obama is seriously challenging the fit.

So much so, some wonder if an unraveling's in the offing.

One could make a case.

The average of multiple new polls, including one putting him slightly ahead, shows he has trimmed a large Clinton lead - 20 points in January, 16 last month - down to single digits, at 5.4.

His campaign yesterday announced that it raised $40 million in March amid persistent chatter that Hillary's running low and reports that she raised just half that.

More money means more TV, and Obama's clearly clubbing Clinton.

Last week alone, he spent $2.2 million on Pa. TV ads, compared with her $627,000.

John Baer: Obama could actually win this thing (the Pa. primary) | Philadelphia Daily News | 04/04/2008

I'm in Penn., getting some fishing in and have seen 2 Obama ads tonight during the NC vs. Kansas game.

That and the fact that Clinton has been caught lying again and it isn't looking good.

"Over the last five weeks, Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton of New York has featured in her campaign stump speeches the story of a health care horror: an uninsured pregnant woman who lost her baby and died herself after being denied care by an Ohio hospital because she could not come up with a $100 fee.

The woman, Trina Bachtel, did die last August, two weeks after her baby boy was stillborn at O’Bleness Memorial Hospital in Athens, Ohio. But hospital administrators said Friday that Ms. Bachtel was under the care of an obstetrics practice affiliated with the hospital, that she was never refused treatment and that she was, in fact, insured.
“We implore the Clinton campaign to immediately desist from repeating this story,” said Rick Castrop, chief executive officer of the O’Bleness Health System.
Linda M. Weiss, a spokeswoman for the not-for-profit hospital, said the Clinton campaign had never contacted the hospital to check the accuracy of the story, which Mrs. Clinton had first heard from a Meigs County, Ohio, sheriff’s deputy in late February.
A Clinton spokesman, Mo Elleithee, said candidates would frequently retell stories relayed to them, vetting them when possible. “In this case, we did try but were not able to fully vet it,” Mr. Elleithee said. “If the hospital claims it did not happen that way, we respect that.”

Ohio Hospital Contests a Story Clinton Tells - New York Times

http://www.youtube.com/v/A33DEl3y5Tg&hl=enhttp://www.youtube.com/v/A33DEl3y5Tg&hl=en<object height="355" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/A33DEl3y5Tg&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" height="355" width="425"></object>

I'm in Penn., getting some fishing in and have seen 2 Obama ads tonight during the NC vs. Kansas game.

That and the fact that Clinton has been caught lying again and it isn't looking good.

And then there's this, making the blog circuit in recent days.

March 31, 2008

Watergate-Era Judiciary Chief of Staff: Hillary Clinton Fired For Lies, Unethical Behavior

As Hillary Clinton came under increasing scrutiny for her story about facing sniper fire in Bosnia, one question that arose was whether she has engaged in a pattern of lying.

The now-retired general counsel and chief of staff of the House Judiciary Committee, who supervised Hillary when she worked on the Watergate investigation, says Hillary’s history of lies and unethical behavior goes back farther – and goes much deeper – than anyone realizes.

Jerry Zeifman, a lifelong Democrat, supervised the work of 27-year-old Hillary Rodham on the committee. Hillary got a job working on the investigation at the behest of her former law professor, Burke Marshall, who was also Sen. Ted Kennedy’s chief counsel in the Chappaquiddick affair. When the investigation was over, Zeifman fired Hillary from the committee staff and refused to give her a letter of recommendation – one of only three people who earned that dubious distinction in Zeifman’s 17-year career.

North Star Writers Group - Syndicated Commentary: Opinion, Humor and Features

What? No way a Clinton would lie and manipulate people for power! Too bad Bill was charasmatic, and she isn't.

Meanwhile, much as Sen. McCain rebuked one of his supporters who whipped up the crowd with inflammatory rhetoric about Sen. Obama a while back, today the Obama campaign did the same to one of their own.

"John McCain is not a warmonger and should not be described as such. He's a supporter of a war that Senator Obama believes should have never been authorized and never been waged."
Jen Psaki, Obama campaign spokeswoman

ASSOCIATED PRESS
Obama Campaign: McCain Not a 'Warmonger'
April 5, 2008

WASHINGTON (AP) &#8212; Democrat Barack Obama's presidential campaign on Saturday repudiated a liberal talk show host's description of Sen. John McCain as a warmonger, a comment made to an audience that Obama later addressed.

Ed Schultz, host of a nationally syndicated radio program that is based in Fargo, N.D., was warming up the crowd Friday at a $100-a-person fundraiser for the North Dakota Democratic party in Grand Forks when he tagged the Republican presidential nominee-in-waiting as a "warmonger," Schultz acknowledged in a telephone interview Saturday.

He said he has used the term many times on the air to refer to McCain because of his support for the war in Iraq.

"He voted for this war. He's a perpetrator of the war. He's an advocate of the war," Schultz said. "In my personal definition, that's a warmonger."

READ MORE
The Associated Press: Obama Campaign: McCain Not a

BokC20080403_low.jpg
:hihi:

Spike Lee throws the Clintons under the bus in New York Magazine.

"The Clintons, man, they would lie on a stack of Bibles. Snipers? That’s not misspeaking; that’s some pure bull****. I voted for Clinton twice, but that’s over with. These old black politicians -.( HAD TO EDIT SPIKE'S COMMENTS HERE :) ) - Hoo! Charlie Rangel, David Dinkins—they have to understand this is a new day. People ain’t feelin’ that stuff. It’s like a tide, and the people who get in the way are just gonna get swept out into the ocean."

READ MORE, UNEDITED
40th Anniversary: Q&A With Spike Lee on Making 'Do the Right Thing' -- New York Magazine

Being in PA I can tell if you Obama doesn't win PA I will be shocked. There seems to be a lot of Obama support around here. Yes there are a ton of Obama commercials on right now. I was guaranteed to see at least 4-5 a day watching TV for about 2 hours a night.

"Over the last five weeks, Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton of New York has featured in her campaign stump speeches the story of a health care horror: an uninsured pregnant woman who lost her baby and died herself after being denied care by an Ohio hospital because she could not come up with a $100 fee....

Clinton Told True Tale of Woe, Says Kin

Washington Post

By Anne E. Kornblut
The aunt of a young pregnant woman who died after a hospital told her she needed to pay $100 up front for care said in an interview on Monday that Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton has been telling the story accurately on the campaign trail -- following claims by a different Ohio hospital that it did not turn the patient away.

For weeks, Clinton repeated an anecdote she heard in Ohio on Feb. 28 involving a young woman who lost her baby and later died because she lacked health insurance and did not have $100 to gain access to a nearby hospital.

But over the weekend, Clinton came under fire when officials at O'Bleness Memorial Hospital, after reading about her remarks, demanded that she stop recounting it because the patient, Trina Bechtel, was admitted there and did have insurance.

That part, it turns out, is true. But so is Clinton's claim that Bechtel did not get care at another hospital that wanted a $100 pre-payment before seeing her, according to the young woman's aunt, Lisa Casto. "It's a true story," said Casto, 53.
Casto added some details that were not part -- or differed from -- the Clinton anecdote: She said her niece had previously been in debt to a local hospital that later sent her a letter informing her that she could only be treated there in the future if she gave them a $100 deposit. At the time she went into debt to that hospital, Casto said, Bechtel was uninsured, though she later obtained health insurance and was insured at the time of her death.....
Clinton Told True Tale of Woe, Says Kin | The Trail | washingtonpost.com

Clinton was clear the she was relaying a story a told to her by a local law officer.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2wqpEt_CdBk&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2wqpEt_CdBk&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

sabine!!!!!! where have you been my friend....i gotta tell you , i have been watching the news all the chanels, i have been reading every story that comes out about the campains, and i research for facts constantly on all the canadates...but i have not heard that story of an aunt telling everybody" hillary didn't lie ,she told the truth".

sabine!!!!!! where have you been my friend....i gotta tell you , i have been watching the news all the chanels, i have been reading every story that comes out about the campains, and i research for facts constantly on all the canadates...but i have not heard that story of an aunt telling everybody" hillary didn't lie ,she told the truth".

Hey Buddy, yeah the boss and kids are keeping me busy. It doesn't surprise me that the officer's and aunt's accounts aren't making the news and blogs like the hospital's did. It's just not as juicy. When I ran across the aunt's story and officer's video, I thought I should post it here. With a little effort, maybe we can keep each other better informed than the average guy. ;)

Speaking of staying informed... The blog article that DavidM posted about Zeifman firing Clinton...well... Zeifman has stated that he didn't fire Clinton and that he didn't have the authority to. He has also stated that he hoped she made First Lady and voted for President Clinton during his two-for-one campaign. It's suspicious to me that during the crest of the anti-Clintons period in the late 1990s, when anti-Clinton books were selling like hotcakes, Zeifman complained then that if he could have fired her he would have. If he thought at the time that she or any staffers did anything unethical, he could have reported it to the bar or others but he didn't. Watergate is now more than a third of a century behind us and Zeifman is in his 80's. Who knows what really happened? I'm not going to give any weight to the Zeifman post, but I'm sure many others will. It's juicy and thus easy to swallow. :mwink:

i mean that was so long ago anyway...maybe she was just willing to do things that the others on her team where not...not saying those things where right or wrong ...heck that was in the late 60's /early 70's..in other words who cares about that...if people can forget about mccain voting against an mlk holliday several times in the late 80's and early 90's, then people can forget about this watergate thing , real or imagined.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom