Obama salutes the fallen (1 Viewer)

BullDawg

Gone but will never forgotten. R.I.P. Nate
Reaction score
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB125679653332815355.html?mod=WSJ_hpp_MIDDLTopStories

OB-ET825_1029ob_F_20091029134024.jpg

Per the article, President Obama went out of his way to fly to Dover AFB to pay respect to these fallen soldiers on their final return home and meet privately with their families at the base chapel. President Bush never made such a trip feeling it was more appropriate to show respect by meeting with the families in private. While the trip to Dover was kept close to the vest, it was made known to the traveling press pool under oath of secrecy. So was this simply the Commander-in-Chief paying proper respect as best as he sees fit? Or, was it a merely a photo-op? I'm of the mind it's the former, but I'm sure some will feel the latter is closer to the truth. What do you think?

Photo-op. He seems more worried about being on T.V. than running the country.

Yeah, it means nothing for him to go pay respect to our fallen soldiers because it was caught on camera... clearly that is the only reason he would even CONSIDER doing such a thing.

Absolutely pathetic. This shouldn't give Obama brownie points (to the American people), but it's sickening to see people trash him for it.. simply because someone took a picture of it.

Wrist straight, fingers extended and joined, thumb aligned with forefinger...I'd say a U.S. Marine taught the CiC how to salute.

I mean, check out the two U.S. Army salutes next to him. :jpshakehead:

dignified-transfer.jpg

Yeah, it means nothing for him to go pay respect to our fallen soldiers because it was caught on camera... clearly that is the only reason he would even CONSIDER doing such a thing.

Absolutely pathetic.
Ask yourself this, if the cameras weren't there, would he be? Doubt it.

It would have impressed me if he would have paid his respects without any cameras around. With elections next week, his poll numbers slipping, and the Afghan war needing attention, it smells to me like a photo op.

Ask yourself this, if the cameras weren't there, would he be? Doubt it.

What are you basing that on? You are attacking the man for doing a good thing simply because it was captured on film. I don't understand your reasoning.

If he went without cameras, someone would have reported his presence.. and then drones would be out saying "Obama is just trying to make a story".

Stop turning this moment of respect for our troops into partisan, political nonsense because you don't like the man.

It would have impressed me if he would have paid his respects without any cameras around. With elections next week, his poll numbers slipping, and the Afghan war needing attention, it smells to me like a photo op.

How would you have been impressed? You wouldn't have known. Like I said in my above post, if it had been reported without pictures, we would be discussing whether or not Obama was "just trying to make a story".

How would you have been impressed? You wouldn't have known. Like I said in my above post, if it had been reported without pictures, we would be discussing whether or not Obama was "just trying to make a story".

With no cameras around and once the story leaked, yes, that would tell me his motives were pure. Yeah, maybe I am jaded, but I don't think this bunch does anything without attention to political implications.

I don't think it's a photo op. Now, W used to make a lot of these trips and not take photographers with him, but the important thing is to understand the sacrifice these men and women are making. I hope he makes more of these trips to Dover and Walter Reed.

I believe one of these fallen is from New Iberia. He was killed in Afghanistan in the last few days and was scheduled to be in Dover today or tomorrow.

With no cameras around and once the story leaked, yes, that would tell me his motives were pure. Yeah, maybe I am jaded, but I don't think this bunch does anything without attention to political implications.

"The only reason they would "leak" the story is to make it look like his motives were pure, obviously"

I have a sneaking suspicion that quote is what we would see from some people in this hypothetical situation.

Wrist straight, fingers extended and joined, thumb aligned with forefinger...I'd say a U.S. Marine taught the CiC how to salute.

I mean, check out the two U.S. Army salutes next to him. :jpshakehead:

dignified-transfer.jpg

Hey, one of the salutes passes muster! :ezbill:

For a good idea of what goes on at Dover, see the movie Taking Chance.
http://www.hbo.com/films/takingchance/

Truly awesome work that they do.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom