Obama Will Be In NOLA Tomorrow (1 Viewer)

I heard he closes the show with a rocking cover of Free Bird.:hihi:

Seriously, how can a politician "bring down the house"? It's all the same rhetoric. He is not going to say anything he hasn't said in the past. When did we start associating politicians with being rock stars? Probably the same point that politics became more about image than substance.

And, to be clear, this is not a specific shot at Obama. He seems as more or less as substantive as any of the people running. I just don't get the rock star worship and "go team" attitude that surrounds politics these days.

Well, I didn't mean people would be holding up lighters and women would be throwing their panties on the stage and stuff. I meant, as far as stump speaking goes, he usually brings down the house - which really means infusing the audience with enough enthusiasm to incite action (volunteering, donating, etc) as well as making the event memorable to the people who are in attendance, much like a rock concert. "Back when I saw Pink Floyd in 1992, blahblahblahblah." = "Back when I saw Obama in 2008, blahblahblahblah."

I don't think everyone gets as into those things as I do but I think more people lean in my direction on the "inspired by words" front than yours.

Just to clarify, because I don't think this sentence is completely clear, I think more people get inspired by speeches not necessarily agree with me on the issue.

I don't think everyone gets as into those things as I do but I think more people lean in my direction on the "inspired by words" front than yours.

I don't doubt that at all. There is an entire industry of people who make a living off of inspiring sayings and inspiring speeches so I'm sure I am the oddball. I guess it just concerns me that politics has become more about that stuff than real issues. We have become a sound bite society in so many ways, I guess it shouldn't suprise me that it's the case in politics as well.

Well, I didn't mean people would be holding up lighters and women would be throwing their panties on the stage and stuff. I meant, as far as stump speaking goes, he usually brings down the house - which really means infusing the audience with enough enthusiasm to incite action (volunteering, donating, etc) as well as making the event memorable to the people who are in attendance, much like a rock concert. "Back when I saw Pink Floyd in 1992, blahblahblahblah." = "Back when I saw Obama in 2008, blahblahblahblah."

It just seems really odd to me. And it quite possibly could be that I'm the odd one. I just couldn't imagine wanting to go hear some politician speak and if I did, I can't imagine being inspired by it.

I wanted to go just to check it out, I couldnt make it though.I will be voting for Obama but I dont need any inspiration from him,.

It just seems really odd to me. And it quite possibly could be that I'm the odd one. I just couldn't imagine wanting to go hear some politician speak and if I did, I can't imagine being inspired by it.

No, you are not the odd one. Most don't care, don't get involved, don't even turn out to vote on election day.

I absolutely understand the phenomenon with regards to younger voters. You've got a generational candidate who thinks like and speaks the language of college kids and young professionals. They understand and relate to him. This is a marked contrast to a guy like Bush, who never appealed to young progressives, and even John Kerry, who could have if his personality weren't so stilted.

Plus, it's always more reassuring to have a candidate within your same ideological plane in the seat of power, particularly when it's been a long time coming. The prospect alone is enough to drive people wild. I imagine pentecostal congregations nationwide are giddy over Mike Huckabee, and his chances of winning the presidency aren't remotely as good as Obama's.

No, you are not the odd one. Most don't care, don't get involved, don't even turn out to vote on election day.

Well, I do care, I am involved and I do vote, I just don't let a planned and scripted show influence my vote.

Well, I do care, I am involved and I do vote, I just don't let a planned and scripted show influence my vote.

So what does influence your vote? It has to be some kind of outside influence.

So what does influence your vote? It has to be some kind of outside influence.

The totality of what I read about a candidate from both the candidate himself and those opposed to the candidate. I also take into account their past history/voting record and position on issues. The problem with campaign speeches is that they tend to tell a crowd what they want to hear to get them pumped up. It tends to have little to do with what they actually would do in office and more about what they think will make you put them in office.

And, as I have mentioned to SBTB before, I tend to vote based on the philosophy behind their decisions as opposed to specific decisions. In the end, because of the compromising nature of our system, whether they intend to do it or not, most candidates never do what they say they are going to do. So, in the end, the best I can hope for is someone who follows a consistent philosophy behind their decisions and logically applies that philosophy as much as possible.

The totality of what I read about a candidate from both the candidate himself and those opposed to the candidate. I also take into account their past history/voting record and position on issues. The problem with campaign speeches is that they tend to tell a crowd what they want to hear to get them pumped up. It tends to have little to do with what they actually would do in office and more about what they think will make you put them in office.

But the writings of candidates and those opposed to them are just as scripted and planned and attempt to present themselves or their positions in the best possible light just like a stump speech does. And a voting history/position on issues changes with the seasons; people make a big deal about 'flip-flopping' but they shouldn't because people change their minds as things progress. A world event or future problem can cause lots of flip-flopping. Conservatives become liberal on some issues. Liberals become conservative on some issues.

I've never been a fan of putting faith in a candidate. I like Obama simply because he is the most liberal candidate who has an actual shot at winning the White House I've seen in my lifetime. Will he disappoint? Almost certainly.

But think about who attends stump speeches and how much smoke blowing is really necessary in that atmosphere. You are talking to your supporters trying to get them to take action, you aren't trying to win the undecideds - you are trying to get your hardcore supporters to do that.

Obama, who makes "hope" a central theme of his campaign, spent a few moments talking about signs of New Orleans' resiliency and recovery: the Endymion parade's return to Mid-City, the return of the streetcar to its traditional Uptown route, even the Super Bowl success of New York Giants quarterback and New Orleans native Eli Manning.

But he acknowledged that restoring New Orleans to its pre-storm stature would be difficult.
"But there is another side to this story. Because we know that this city - a city that has always stood for what can be done in this country - has also become a symbol for what we could not do," he said.

Obama made his case as the leading agent of change, not using any contrasts with his Democratic primary opponent, but by focusing on the Bush administration's failures in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.

The speech's first big cheers came when he referred to Bush's flyover viewing of Katrina's destruction. He called it a "metaphor for his entire presidency."

He went so far as to say that many of his supporters are inspired simply by knowing that "George W. Bush's name won't be on the ballot."

---------------------------

+1

But the writings of candidates and those opposed to them are just as scripted and planned and attempt to present themselves or their positions in the best possible light just like a stump speech does.

Yeah, but when it's in writing, it removes the emotion from the equation. Beyond that, obviously all political writing is going to be biased, but if you get to read it dry in writing, you can compare the two sides and have time to expose the holes and compare both sides.

what is a good website to go to to see candidates voting records, stands on positions, etc?
i'm looking for more than just abortion, gay marriage, etc. More stuff like trade, foreign policy, etc.

Thanks

Obama, who makes "hope" a central theme of his campaign, spent a few moments talking about signs of New Orleans' resiliency and recovery: the Endymion parade's return to Mid-City, the return of the streetcar to its traditional Uptown route, even the Super Bowl success of New York Giants quarterback and New Orleans native Eli Manning.

But he acknowledged that restoring New Orleans to its pre-storm stature would be difficult.
"But there is another side to this story. Because we know that this city - a city that has always stood for what can be done in this country - has also become a symbol for what we could not do," he said.

Obama made his case as the leading agent of change, not using any contrasts with his Democratic primary opponent, but by focusing on the Bush administration's failures in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.

The speech's first big cheers came when he referred to Bush's flyover viewing of Katrina's destruction. He called it a "metaphor for his entire presidency."

He went so far as to say that many of his supporters are inspired simply by knowing that "George W. Bush's name won't be on the ballot."

---------------------------

+1

See, that's just the kid of stuff I'm talking about. Bush will be gone, he's was incompetent in so many ways, but just saying you will change things doesn't do anything. It's empty hope to think that change for the sake of change is a good thing. At least based on what you posted, he gave no real plan for how he thinks he will help New Orleans and how he will make up for the errors and omissions by the government that put us in the position that we are in.

And, I'm not saying Obama has no plans for this, from what I've seen on his website, he does have some good ideas. But, a speech like this does nothing to tell me what he is going to try to do. All it does is creates emotion against a man who can't even run for President again.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom