Obama Will Be In NOLA Tomorrow (1 Viewer)

gah. Need to go to work...but I also want to volunteer for 5 hours so I can meet Obama!

Biggest natural (read: man-made) disaster in American history and Obama is the only one coming to Louisiana. I know political realities come into play, but anyone who doesn't come here after all this area has been through will never get my vote.

Too bad he isn't hitting the north. I guess Clinton doesn't plan to compete here.

edwards ended his campaign in New Orleans -- and I am guessing that Hillary thinks she has no chance in LA due to the demographics of the state

I might go to this, anyone else planning on going?

I'm planning on attending a rally in Texas - I wish I could go to the one tomorrow in New Orleans, though. I expect Obama to bring down the house.

The deep south is Obama territory, but it will not help in the general election. The midwest is the pivotal region, and the winner there will have the better case in November. Momentum and money favor him, and McCain will be a marked contrast on many levels.

Kennedy was 43 and Nixon just 47 when they debated, but it could have been an eon separation. Same for Clinton at 46 and Bush at 68. Appearances count.

I'm planning on attending a rally in Texas - I wish I could go to the one tomorrow in New Orleans, though. I expect Obama to bring down the house.

I heard he closes the show with a rocking cover of Free Bird.:hihi:

Seriously, how can a politician "bring down the house"? It's all the same rhetoric. He is not going to say anything he hasn't said in the past. When did we start associating politicians with being rock stars? Probably the same point that politics became more about image than substance.

And, to be clear, this is not a specific shot at Obama. He seems as more or less as substantive as any of the people running. I just don't get the rock star worship and "go team" attitude that surrounds politics these days.

I don't get the "go team" attitude toward parties but I can certainly understand it to individuals IF it's someone you really believe in. In the case of Obama I think it's also fueled to some degree by someone many are feverishly against in Hillary. I'm in that category since I probably won't even vote for Obama in the general but if he wins the primary I'm assured of no more Clinton's or Bush's for at least 4 years.

The bringing down the house thing really has a lot to do with his speaking style which gets people fired up. By the time he walks off the stage people are lathered up in a tizzy. It's something that has happened with many great speakers in the past. Heck you see it in churches all across the country every Sunday morning. There's something to be said for being inspiring (Obama) vs. putting people to sleep and stumbling over your words (McCain).

Heck you see it in churches all across the country every Sunday morning.

Maybe that's the problem, I don't really experience that.:hihi: I'm just not a person who gets "inspired" by the words someone speaks in a 10 or 15 minute speech. Actions get me fired up and books make me think, speaches without the actions to back them up just don't do much for me.

I do but I'm a pretty emotional and empathic person. Excited people around me get me excited, same with sad people. Inspiring speeches get me inspired. It doesn't mean you'll get my vote, but it does mean I'll be more pumped up.

I don't think everyone gets as into those things as I do but I think more people lean in my direction on the "inspired by words" front than yours.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom