obscure stuff you saw as a kid that you can't figure out why is stuck with you forever (1 Viewer)

Zack Lee

VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sticky Post
I always remembered seeing this short film. I didn't remember much except the concept. For whatever reason I just remembered it again and actually found it online.

such a weird piece to have stuck with me forever. Must be some serious underlying FOMO going on.

In a nutshell, kids are in some odd time or world where it rains all the time. The rain finally stops for one day and the kids go out and actually see the sun but as a practical joke one of the kids had been previously locked in a room and misses it. They discover the fact only after the rain starts again. Avid readers probably will not it better because its Bradbury.

what are yours?

OP
Zack Lee

Zack Lee

VIP Contributor
Reaction score
this movie, was another that I could not take my eyes off of as a kid. I think I assumed that it was an old movie back then because it was shot in black and white. I wonder what was the first movie to actually go back and choose black and white for the values it hold artistically. What actors too. Of course I had no idea what I was watching back then.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvJuJKOmZAY

OP
Zack Lee

Zack Lee

VIP Contributor
Reaction score

On top of that, film fans know that some filmmakers continue to choose to shoot their films in black and white decades after color film became the standard—Notable examples include "Young Frankenstein" (1974), "Manhattan" (1979), "Raging Bull" (1980), "Schindler's List" (1993), and "The Artist" (2011). In fact, for many years in the earliest decades of film, shooting in color was a similar artistic choice—with color movies existing for far longer than most people believe.

An often-repeated—but incorrect—bit of trivia is that 1939's "The Wizard of Oz" was the first full-color movie. This misconception probably comes from the fact that the film makes great symbolic use of brilliant color film after the first scene is depicted in black and white. However, color movies were being created more than 35 years before "The Wizard of Oz!"

msusaintsfan

All-Pro & Resident Ninja
Reaction score
Diamondhead, MS via Houston, Tx, via Starkville, M
The Rosenbergs jingle. I will never forget that. Tastee Donuts king cakes and their sliders. I loved those.

Other than that I have plenty of those random memories there was some movie in the 80's about spiders and I remember a guy driving up to a house and spider webs over all the ground and in the house and him opening a door a somebody was covered actually cocooned in webs. I can still see it in my head.

Another 80's commercial or maybe movie around Halloween where Frankenstein is behind a tree and staring at this guy walking on the sidewalk. It was black and white so probably a movie. It just creeped me out and scared the crap out of me as a kid, because I lived out in the county and a lot of woods around so young kid imagination got to me.

msusaintsfan

All-Pro & Resident Ninja
Reaction score
Diamondhead, MS via Houston, Tx, via Starkville, M
So for my entire adulthood (so, you know, like the last 3 years), I've been trying to find evidence of this old, old black and white sci-fy movie I saw when I was a kid. I think it was Japanese and I think it was from the 50s. They were on another planet that was all sand with boulders and as soon as you stepped off the boulders, some kind of monster worm or reptile would come out of the sand and you had to either outrun it or make it back to a boulder. That's all I know and I'm convinced it did exist but have never been able to ID it.
You just described Tremors with Kevin Bacon lol, except not the 50's and not on another planet.

boutrous

the only way I know how
Reaction score
Other than that I have plenty of those random memories there was some movie in the 80's about spiders and I remember a guy driving up to a house and spider webs over all the ground and in the house and him opening a door a somebody was covered actually cocooned in webs. I can still see it in my head.
Arachnophobia?

itztime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
What's a K&B?
K&B (Katz and Besthoff) was a drug store chain headquartered in New Orleans.

It was a cool drug store. You could even buy big gallon tubs of ice cream there! :9:
the big one uptown had a kitchen that served bad*** hamburgers when i was a kid.

k&b also had their own beer. and a diy machine to test vacuum tubes for your hi-fi.

i bought my first flyrod/reel from k&b. another time, a couple cases of piper-heidsieck champagne.

"sears has everything" was hype. k&b and schwegmann's had everything.
View: https://www.amazon.com/Drug-Stores-Images-America/dp/0738582271

1589390441894.png

49erKiller

I am 100% human
Reaction score
2nd grade, in school, saw that little “film strip” called Ricky Ticky Tavvy.....about a mongoose protecting a family from a snake.

For some reason, that 5 minutes has stuck with me 40 years later.

Thanks to this thread, I’m going to search for it...

That dirty little Mongoose lives here at SR in the VG board now.

Madmarsha

Love this team!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
You just described Tremors with Kevin Bacon lol, except not the 50's and not on another planet.
I've often thought that that '50s movie was where they got the idea and not just a figment of my childhood imagination.

DaveXA

I love the Lord!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I remember as a kid when we'd be on a road trip and seeing these huge signs saying "Lots for sale" and for years that sign always stuck with me. I didn't know what a property lot was and wondered what a lot of the stuff people wanted to buy. For some reason, that odd little memory stuck with me.

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I remember as a kid when we'd be on a road trip and seeing these huge signs saying "Lots for sale" and for years that sign always stuck with me. I didn't know what a property lot was and wondered what a lot of the stuff people wanted to buy. For some reason, that odd little memory stuck with me.
the company i toured with went to italy a lot
everyone else had been to italy a few times when i joined - so we're riding a little bus from the airport to Aosta and i keep seeing these roadside diners with "toast" signs lit up outside
after the 5th one or so i can't contain it anymore, i shout out "what the **** is so special about 'toast'"
the others laugh at me bc they had all gone through the same thing
and yes, they were advertising toast
like, in the best food country in the world, a diner's ability to make toast was a major selling point

i still don't get it

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom