obscure stuff you saw as a kid that you can't figure out why is stuck with you forever (2 Viewers)

What's a K&B?
K&B (Katz and Besthoff) was a drug store chain headquartered in New Orleans.

It was a cool drug store. You could even buy big gallon tubs of ice cream there! :9:
the big one uptown had a kitchen that served bad*** hamburgers when i was a kid.

k&b also had their own beer. and a diy machine to test vacuum tubes for your hi-fi.

i bought my first flyrod/reel from k&b. another time, a couple cases of piper-heidsieck champagne.

"sears has everything" was hype. k&b and schwegmann's had everything.
Amazon product ASIN 0738582271View: https://www.amazon.com/Drug-Stores-Images-America/dp/0738582271

1589390441894.png

2nd grade, in school, saw that little “film strip” called Ricky Ticky Tavvy.....about a mongoose protecting a family from a snake.

For some reason, that 5 minutes has stuck with me 40 years later.

Thanks to this thread, I’m going to search for it...

That dirty little Mongoose lives here at SR in the VG board now.

You just described Tremors with Kevin Bacon lol, except not the 50's and not on another planet.
I've often thought that that '50s movie was where they got the idea and not just a figment of my childhood imagination.

I remember as a kid when we'd be on a road trip and seeing these huge signs saying "Lots for sale" and for years that sign always stuck with me. I didn't know what a property lot was and wondered what a lot of the stuff people wanted to buy. For some reason, that odd little memory stuck with me.

I remember as a kid when we'd be on a road trip and seeing these huge signs saying "Lots for sale" and for years that sign always stuck with me. I didn't know what a property lot was and wondered what a lot of the stuff people wanted to buy. For some reason, that odd little memory stuck with me.
the company i toured with went to italy a lot
everyone else had been to italy a few times when i joined - so we're riding a little bus from the airport to Aosta and i keep seeing these roadside diners with "toast" signs lit up outside
after the 5th one or so i can't contain it anymore, i shout out "what the **** is so special about 'toast'"
the others laugh at me bc they had all gone through the same thing
and yes, they were advertising toast
like, in the best food country in the world, a diner's ability to make toast was a major selling point

i still don't get it

How many of you remember that you could collect these tumblers at Shell gas stations in the greater New Orleans area back in the 70s just by getting a fill-up? :grin:

saints tumblers.jpg
I have a set of those.
They were sitting on my dads bar after Katrina flooded my parents house. The whole house was a mess
It was weird. Looked like people just had a few cocktails during the madness.
I still have them.

Playing hide and go seek with my friend, we were seven. While hiding, his mother came in the room naked from a shower. I was behind a rocking chair with a blanket over me and saw the entire buffet. That has stayed with me till this day. It was awesome !!!

Playing hide and go seek with my friend, we were seven. While hiding, his mother came in the room naked from a shower. I was behind a rocking chair with a blanket over me and saw the entire buffet. That has stayed with me till this day. It was awesome !!!

I would imagine this could have been the day you became optimistic (about life), Ozzy.

This is must be pretty obscure because it took me a while to find, as i couldn't exactly remember the title (( thought it was something like "Final Destination") , but only the approximate year (before 1993). I don't remember it being in the theatres, I just saw it on VHS so it might have been a direct to video.

Final Approach

I didn't recognize a single name on the cast list, although James Sikking played Doogie Howser's dad and was also on Hill Street Blues. Also Hector Elizondo, though didn't recognize the name, does have alot of recognizable credits such as Chicago Hope.

I don't remember a whole lot about the movie, but I just remember it had to do with a test pilot who crashed an military aircraft, and the whole thing took place in the psychologists office. I do remember the "twist" at the end however.

So there’s music I heard on early am radio in the car that grew into continuing listening pleasure music
Then there’s the music that I primarily remember hearing in the car:
“Ain’t gonna bump no more no big fat woman”
“Spinning wheels”
“If it don’t fit, don’t force it”
“Don’t call us, we’ll call you”
“I got ya”
AM radio in the early 70’s
Steam
The Raspberries
The Jackson 5
Stealers Wheel
Three Dog Night
Bread
Paul Revere and the Raiders
Sonny & Cher
Nitty Gritty Dirt Band

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom