Obvious strategy (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Saints realize their best chance to win in this last couple of years of the Brees era is to free up cap money to obtain one or two great front 7 types. Because they stay in the middle of the pack, they never get high enough on draft day to get a Wilkerson, a Mack, a Von Miller, a Leonard Williams, etc.
We have to be patient in the short term (this year) while they clear the space. Brees will keep them relevant and fun but 8-8 is about as high as they can hope to go with the injuries to the key defensive guys like Breaux and Rankins.

I'm never in favor of that word that rhymes with bank and starts with a T, but Myles Garrett would change our defense almost single handed.

But a Tim Williams would help too.

I don't get to watch many college games, so who is Myles Garrett and Tim Williams?
Myles Garrett is the defensive end from Texas A&M. He's 6'5" almost 6'6" 275bs. Allegedly runs a 4.46, 38.5" vertical. An absolute athletic freak. I like him better than Jadaveon Clowney. Had nearly 20 tackles for loss and 12 sacks or so last season.

He'll likely be the first non-quarterback taken this year.

Tim Williams plays the same position for Alabama. Not nearly as big, 6'4" 237lbs, but he's very athletic, fast around the edge. Daniel Jeremiah said he reminds him of a smaller, not as long Ziggy Ansah.

He's given flak because he's not shown any particular skills in stopping the run. Could call him quite raw too. But I don't mind it. Either one has a skillset we sorely lack. Speed off the edge.

Obligatory highlight reels:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZScgx_BlZmA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/G9wTtXm9PtA" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

i don't know what the heck is going on with our team right now. But this is getting nuts. Cutting players, signing players to replace them, cutting PS members and signing more players. Cutting Richardson is a head scratcher. They resigned Calhoun and TE- Stoneburner. It's getting me dizzy. I think we may be planning to bring in someone maybe and we are trying to free up enough money to sign him. IDK.

Myles Garrett is the defensive end from Texas A&M. He's 6'5" almost 6'6" 275bs. Allegedly runs a 4.46, 38.5" vertical. An absolute athletic freak. I like him better than Jadaveon Clowney. Had nearly 20 tackles for loss and 12 sacks or so last season.

He'll likely be the first non-quarterback taken this year.

Tim Williams plays the same position for Alabama. Not nearly as big, 6'4" 237lbs, but he's very athletic, fast around the edge. Daniel Jeremiah said he reminds him of a smaller, not as long Ziggy Ansah.

He's given flak because he's not shown any particular skills in stopping the run. Could call him quite raw too. But I don't mind it. Either one has a skillset we sorely lack. Speed off the edge.

Obligatory highlight reels:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZScgx_BlZmA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/G9wTtXm9PtA" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

Thanks for the info Eman. That dude is a beast. Tim Williams is a little raw, but has the tools to be an every down player.

Saints realize their best chance to win in this last couple of years of the Brees era is to free up cap money to obtain one or two great front 7 types. Because they stay in the middle of the pack, they never get high enough on draft day to get a Wilkerson, a Mack, a Von Miller, a Leonard Williams, etc.
We have to be patient in the short term (this year) while they clear the space. Brees will keep them relevant and fun but 8-8 is about as high as they can hope to go with the injuries to the key defensive guys like Breaux and Rankins.

Uhhh didn't we pass on Wilkerson not once but twice for Jordan and Ingram. Good talent is at the end of the draft but when you drafting low impact positions in the first round every year like running backs, guards, strong safeties and 2 down inside linebackers what do you expect....

If you're going to lose, do it the right way and get a good pick. Killed us the last two year a loss would have put us up several more picks. But we can't seem to hit on those either.

We need to have the best year possible. Make a legit run in the playoffs. Then we can go all in for Von Miller, who is an UFA after this season.

If we look like we are a pass rusher away from a super bowl, I don't see why he wouldn't come here. They key to this is competing this year to make him want to come.

Edit: Well looks like Von Miller signed a big new deal in July... So much for that.

^Von Miller is locked in at Denver with a 6-year contract he signed back in July.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom