October 2012 memo warned of “chance of failure” for Superdome power (1 Viewer)

Yep this is the scathing black eye for the city that officials thought the fans were going to bring to the city. Now we are in the news for all the wrong reasons.

I'm still trying to find the memo from Cowboys stadium that warned of "ice falling off the roof".

it sounds like a bunch of finger pointing is about to go down..Its was a power outage,no need to play the blame game,move on.

This is stupid spinning by the national media. Take a look at the source article:
AP News: Documents: Worries about outage before Super Bowl

The memo said utility Entergy New Orleans and the Superdome's engineering staff "had concerns regarding the reliability of the Dome service from Entergy's connection point to the Dome."

The memo was prepared for the Louisiana Stadium & Exposition District, the state body responsible for the Superdome.

Authorities then authorized spending nearly $1 million on Superdome improvements, including more than $600,000 for upgrading the dome's electrical feeder cable system, work that was done in December.

"As discussed in previous board meetings, this enhancement is necessary to maintain both the Superdome and the New Orleans Arena as top tier facilities, and to ensure that we do not experience any electrical issues during the Super Bowl," said an LSED document dated Dec. 19.

Superdome commission records show a $513,250 contract to replace feeder cables was awarded to Allstar Electric, a company based in suburban New Orleans.

This problem wasn't ignored, the way it's being portrayed here. That's just a spin job.

it sounds like a bunch of finger pointing is about to go down..Its was a power outage,no need to play the blame game,move on.

I mean serious... Who really cares... This kinda thing happens... This is much to do about nothing and creating news where there is none...

Apparently they are failing to report that the deficiencies were indeed addressed so they wouldn't in fact be the cause.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Florio needs to stick to legal issues.. engineering is obviously not his strong suit.

Yes, a memo was released in October 2012.. but the linked article clearly states that the issue was addressed and corrected:

The memo said utility Entergy New Orleans and the Superdome's engineering staff "had concerns regarding the reliability of the Dome service from Entergy's connection point to the Dome."
The memo was prepared for the Louisiana Stadium & Exposition District, the state body responsible for the Superdome.
Authorities then authorized spending nearly $1 million on Superdome improvements, including more than $600,000 for upgrading the dome's electrical feeder cable system, work that was done in December.
I am an electrical engineer.. the problem with fixing electrical issues involving decay and overheating is that you also expose issues further up the line that were also caused by the circuit overheating.

Thornton said nothing inside the Superdome malfunctioned, but that the stadium's power supply was cut off from a nearby substation, and that once power was restored, everything inside the dome resumed normal operation.
I think we'll find out eventually that it was just a breaker ready to trip (from prior overheating issues) at the substation and the firing up of the lighting right after the halftime show was just enough to trip it. As Thornton said, once power was restored, everything was ok.. if there was an actual fault, the power would have gone right out again!

Florio needs to stick to legal issues.. engineering is obviously not his strong suit.

Yes, a memo was released in October 2012.. but the linked article clearly states that the issue was addressed and corrected:

I am an electrical engineer.. the problem with fixing electrical issues involving decay and overheating is that you also expose issues further up the line that were also caused by the circuit overheating.

I think we'll find out eventually that it was just a breaker ready to trip (from prior overheating issues) at the substation and the firing up of the lighting right after the halftime show was just enough to trip it. As Thornton said, once power was restored, everything was ok.. if there was an actual fault, the power would have gone right out again!

I speculated this same scenerio in another thread, but you have the degree to back it up! Shame on Entergy, though, for not upgrading any of their equipment that would have a direct impact on the dome and the event. It could happen anywhere(just like it did in San Fran on MNF), but that doesn't make it any better. City officials need to press Entergy to upgrade any relevant equipment so we can assure the NFL it won't happen again.

If this starts getting more attention than the warnings that the levee system could fail, I will be . . . annoyed.

People need to focus on what COULD have happened that would have been a tragedy. Isn't the reason breakers tripping in the first place is a safety precaution to prevent fires and/or explosions? This was not a "Black Sunday" security breach, it was a minor 30 minute annoyance caused by a safety mechanism in place to prevent catastrophes from happening.

Who freaking cares? I don't ever remember a super dome outage like that prior to any live event and we've hosted multiple national title college events, final fours, superbowls, Saints games, it was a fluke accident.

They need to move the hell on already, it is stupid. Poop happens, deal with it, if anything it made a game that was an absolute blowout turn into a thriller.

Who freaking cares? I don't ever remember a super dome outage like that prior to any live event and we've hosted multiple national title college events, final fours, superbowls, Saints games, it was a fluke accident.

They need to move the hell on already, it is stupid. Poop happens, deal with it, if anything it made a game that was an absolute blowout turn into a thriller.

Not only ^this^, but this incident virtually assures that this breakdown in the system will NEVER happen at the Dome again.

I mean, what other venue will be as concerned about getting the problem sufficiently upgraded?

Trust me, electrical systems will now be scrutinized by the league as Priority 1 from now on no matter who is awarded the big game. It's not likely that we will ever see this problem again even if it means that massive standby generators will have to be placed at the ready at every host stadium.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom