Odd pictures from nature (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
I'm sure that there is a thread like this somewhere, and if there is, I'm sorry.

Here's a few pictures I took this past weekend. We were walking in my grandma's yard in Amite, and came across this smelly, odd looking fungus. When I say smelly...I mean, "make you lose your dinner, your eyes are going to water" kind of smelly.

Being the nerd that I am, I took pictures and did research on it. Turns out that it's a stinkhorn fungus. I've never seen one before, and I found it rather interesting, so I'm just sharing.

Here are two pictures. One is of it while it was still intact, the other is after I had knocked it down. It has an egg type of thing that it hatches out of. You can kind of see the egg sack and the slime in it.

The slime (which is where the smell comes from) is to attract insects to the fungi, so that the spores will get on the insect, and be spread. That's how it reproduces.

I had to reduce the quality of the pictures to make the sizes smaller so they would upload.

Attachments

• stinkhorn1.jpg
    stinkhorn1.jpg
    225.9 KB · Views: 6
  • stinkhorn2.jpg
    stinkhorn2.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 5
Here's a couple more.

Attachments

• stinkhorn3.jpg
    stinkhorn3.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 4
  • stinkhorn5.jpg
    stinkhorn5.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 4
...and...

That's all folks!

Attachments

• stinkhorn7.jpg
    stinkhorn7.jpg
    271.4 KB · Views: 4
  • stinkhorn6.jpg
    stinkhorn6.jpg
    283.6 KB · Views: 2
Check out the Ocean Explorer "Living Ocean" gallery.
http://www.oceanexplorer.noaa.gov/gallery/livingocean/livingocean.html

To really appreciate the pic below, go to this website and set it as your desktop wallpaper.
http://oceanexplorer.noaa.gov/‌explorations/05deepscope/logs/sep3/media/aurelia3_rs.html
aurelia3_rs_600.jpg

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom