Odd Rule at Home Depot (1 Viewer)

ClayT101

Tee Retriever
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The other day I was at Home Depot. I picked up a can of the texture spray paint (used for pots etc). I went to the self serve check out, and it turns out that you have to show ID to buy spray paint. Thats fine, don't want kids spray painting stuff.

Today I went to HD again to buy muracitic acid (weak hydrochloric acid). Again, I went to the self checkout, but for this product, no ID was needed.

I just found this very odd. You can do a lot more damage with the muracitic acid then the paint.

250px-Shrug.jpg

I don't remember the last time I got spray paint that I wasn't carded. It's been that way for a while, and not just as Home Depot. Even if I just run to Walmart to get some Krylon matte finish I have my I.D. out when I go to check out.

you mean muriatic? yeah. that doesn't make a lot of sense. isn't it used to cut a few drugs that rhyme with oke and rack?

you mean muriatic? yeah. that doesn't make a lot of sense. isn't it used to cut a few drugs that rhyme with oke and rack?
Yes, that is the stuff. I don't know what it could be used for. But it used to clean concrete. I am using it to remove hard water stains off of aquarium glass.

Yes, that is the stuff. I don't know what it could be used for. But it used to clean concrete. I am using it to remove hard water stains off of aquarium glass.
ahh gotcha. hmm.. wonder if it works on automotive glass

The other day I was at Home Depot. I picked up a can of the texture spray paint (used for pots etc). I went to the self serve check out, and it turns out that you have to show ID to buy spray paint. Thats fine, don't want kids spray painting stuff.

Today I went to HD again to buy muracitic acid (weak hydrochloric acid). Again, I went to the self checkout, but for this product, no ID was needed.

I just found this very odd. You can do a lot more damage with the muracitic acid then the paint.

You can do even more damage with hatchets, machetes, chainsaws, etc, but I've never been carded when buying any of those either. I'm surprised you were even able to get the spray paint off the shelf. Around here, spray paint is locked in a "cage" and you have to have a store employee get it for you...

Interesting. I may have to try this.

I remember trying to buy spray paint at Wal-Mart with some of my friends when we were all about 16-17. We had no idea a bunch of teenagers would get ID'd for trying to buy spray paint at 10:30 on a Friday night. I mean, all we wanted to do was vandalize public property...

Now when I go to but some I get ID'd and grumble until I remember why.

It's reactionary like everything else. As soon as acid or a nail gun get used in a crime by teens and make the news, IDs will b required.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom