Odds of DA Getting the Job (2 Viewers)

This is a drawback to the rule, yes. Disagree with it resulting in less minority hires. Maybe not the progress or retention they'd like to see, but it has made a significant difference.
Well, by the end of this season there was only one black head coach in the NFL, Mike Tomlin. And he might not be around much longer. Considering that, you gotta wonder if it's actually working as intended. I'd like to see more minority hires, but GMs and owners have to get it done. They can't just say they followed the Rooney rule. That's not enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don’t get everyone bringing up his tenure at the Raiders, I know that was his last head coaching gig, but it was also 8 years ago. Do you not believe someone can grow in their knowledge with experience? In a similar opportunity would you want someone to cap your experience (and potential compensation) at where you were 8 years ago?
I see this a lot in all walks of life. A lot of people seem to believe that whoever you were 20 or 10 years ago is who you will always be. That you will not grow as a person, learn from your mistakes and make improvements. I know I'm not the same person I was 10 years ago.

I don’t get everyone bringing up his tenure at the Raiders, I know that was his last head coaching gig, but it was also 8 years ago. Do you not believe someone can grow in their knowledge with experience? In a similar opportunity would you want someone to cap your experience (and potential compensation) at where you were 8 years ago?
I have to think that DA having worked with and around Payton for however many years it's been now can really only have had a positive effect on him since his last head coaching job.

For continuity purposes I'd like to see DA get the gig and promote Carmichael to full time OC and asst HC. We need continuity until the team can weather the shock of both Brees and Payton leaving then head in a different direction if they want to.

And this is the problem with the Rooney rule.

It forces teams to waste people's time interviewing when they already have their mind set on a specific hire.

And it hasn't actually resulted in more minorities being hired.

Just another example of the NFL putting on a show for PR purposes.
It was a response to a potential lawsuit but it's just become a joke now.

I have reservations about DA, which are expressed in a prior post. But in this instance, I have to readily concede that I do not know what type of head coach Allen might be. I have not worked with him, have not interviewed him, have not spoken with others who worked with or played for him, have not even met him. I have concerns about the relationships in the Saints organization being too cozy and insular. And Payton was with personnel decisions the key voice in the room. I like the idea of Doug Petersen. I like the idea of an outsider bringing new ideas and views. But on this occasion, I will plead guilty to the Jim Mora accusation that I really don't know.

I think the decision has already been made, and there will be no serious national search and due diligence. Payton's decision was not a shock to those in the organization. They have been discussing that possibility and the options for at least the last two weeks, if not longer. The Saints are a very insular and personal-relationship driven organization where the powers that be have been in place for a long time. And it seems Payton is pushing Allen.

The likelihood of Allen getting the job are in the 75 to 80 percent range. Odds 1 to 4.
I agree and think it’s the right decision .

sdafdf
It was a response to a potential lawsuit but it's just become a joke now.

Here's a statistical analysis by some bright guys who love sports (and politics). Looks like the evidence is a mixed bag. The Rooney Rule started out having an impact but that impact seems to have faded over time.

FIVE THIRTY EIGHT

This is a defensive team now. Don't mind them going that route at HC.
I don’t mind it, you just don’t see those coaches winning in todays NFL. Not at all saying he can’t or won’t win, not saying at all that it’s a bad hire. Risk will come with this hire like any hire. Regardless who the coach is, if we don’t fix the QB position we won’t be true contenders.

I know DA struggled in Oakland, and at the end of the day you are you record.
But I did some digging and read into those teams...
In 2012, Mark Davis and Reggie McKenzie, first GM beside Davis the team ever had,
took the reins from Al Davis.
This was after the Hue Jackson & Tom Cable fiasco that took place.
The had no 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 7th round pick heading into the draft.
The only player of note from there picks and UDFA was P Marquette King.

Not saying in shouldn't have gotten better but the Roster Moves and Drafting wasn't much better in 2013. They finally hit on Khalil Mack and Derek Carr in 2014 the year he was fired.

So for a New Owner, New GM, first time head coach it was not an ideal situation.
But you hope if DA is the guy those season's along with the much better team makeup from top to bottom should give him every oppuritnity to find the success he never had.

im fine with Allen , but can anyone really replicate the mental minutae that CSP was so good at- billbaords, mindgames etc

sdafdf

Here's a statistical analysis by some bright guys who love sports (and politics). Looks like the evidence is a mixed bag. The Rooney Rule started out having an impact but that impact seems to have faded over time.

FIVE THIRTY EIGHT
I wasn't was referring to their numbers in that article I cited just the idea the rule was created as a preemptive measure where there was a possibility of a lawsuit being launched against the NFL. That said, I don't think anyone can argue that the current number of Black head coaches is defensible.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom