Odds of DA Getting the Job (1 Viewer)

Sean mentioned yesterday that one of the things he's most proud of is the "building". By that he meant the organization and mission from top to bottom, the execs, coaches, players, ect. Most FA's we've signed have commented on how the organization is run so well compared to others. In my opinion, you don't mess with that and you keep the train on the tracks by promoting from within if there's a suitable candidate. The players love DA and the coaches. Definitely pulling for him as the HC, Pete as OC, and Richard or Nielson as DC.

I'm not to the point of saying I definitely want Allen as the next coach, but I do see the positives of that decision, and I think you and others are making some good points.

I'd still like to see an earnest search conducted. Even when a situation is good, the mindset shouldn't be that it can't be improved upon. If we are going to consider what could go wrong with wholesale changes, we should also consider the possibility that it could work in the team's favor. That said, I do trust Loomis to make a good decision.

Allen was coaching on an impossible mission.

If you remember, Reggie McKenzie was the General Manager and Dennis Allen the Head Coach.

They had to severely clean the cap, it was not a rebuilding job. It was destruction first. And even with that impossible job, Reggie McKenzie brought great draft picks as he chose Khalil Mack and Amari Cooper.

Frankly, I would love to have both McKenzie and Allen on my team at any time.
The big problem is in that third year it was clear his players had quit on him.

I don’t think he has the personality to hold together a full football team. The Saints will need someone more dynamic if they want to keep the current team culture together.

• 1Like
Reactions: mcg
Bill Belichick had a losing record as Cleveland's head coach.
He had two 7-9 seasons before going 11-5 and a playoff birth. The next year he was 5-11 and left the team, but that was also the year the relocation rumors started and everyone that didn’t want to deal with a team moving cities jumped ship. The owner announced the move half way though the season and they only won one more game after that.

Completely different situations.

Last edited:
I agree that they should conduct an ernest search, but I’m conflicted with the fact that if we do hire from outside the building, the new coach would want “their” staff. Changing the staff in addition to the head coach signals a rebuild in my opinion and I believe we should continue with the “Building” that has been built. If a new head coach would be willing to keep the current staff, I’d be for it, but that is HIGHLY unlikely.

good. i sure hope he's not our HC. I was not impressed nor thrill at what he did at the Raiders.
You gotta take into consideration the culture in the Raiders organization too. They aren’t the best organization, nor are they in the middle. They change coaches like they change under clothes. Sometimes more frequently. Lol

I agree that they should conduct an ernest search, but I’m conflicted with the fact that if we do hire from outside the building, the new coach would want “their” staff. Changing the staff in addition to the head coach signals a rebuild in my opinion and I believe we should continue with the “Building” that has been built. If a new head coach would be willing to keep the current staff, I’d be for it, but that is HIGHLY unlikely.

It’s on Allen and any other internal candidate to sell continuity if that’s his vision. Of course we’re only guessing that’s what he’d do if he gets the job. Expected, but he should get the same freedom to build the staff that he thinks will keep him in the job three years from now as any other candidate would.

You don’t cancel your interview if you don’t have a job already. The Saints have to fulfill the Rooney Rule before they can announce Allen
And this is the problem with the Rooney rule.

It forces teams to waste people's time interviewing when they already have their mind set on a specific hire.

And it hasn't actually resulted in more minorities being hired.

Just another example of the NFL putting on a show for PR purposes.

You don’t cancel your interview if you don’t have a job already. The Saints have to fulfill the Rooney Rule before they can announce Allen
Thanks. I was also going to post that re the Rooney rule

8-28 record as a head coach, with the Raiders getting worse every year he was there.
Not his fault at all. The Raiders were completely dysfunctional at that time with Al Davis, who was not on top of his game, meddling and firing coaches left and right.

Last edited:
And this is the problem with the Rooney rule.

It forces teams to waste people's time interviewing when they already have their mind set on a specific hire.

And it hasn't actually resulted in more minorities being hired.

Just another example of the NFL putting on a show for PR purposes.
This is a drawback to the rule, yes. Disagree with it resulting in less minority hires. Maybe not the progress or retention they'd like to see, but it has made a significant difference.

Last edited:
Continuity will rule because the rest of the organization is staying. I have mixed feelings about Allen being named. First, I at times was critical of Allen as a defensive coordinator. I thought him a good, though not exceptional, DC.

Second, I wonder whether Allen has the command presence, vision and leadership qualities one looks for in a head coach. And though Allen has interviewed for HC openings in recent years, my impression is that he has never been a finalist for any of those openings.

Were he not currently on the staff, would he be a top candidate to replace Payton? I am not sure that he would. However, I recognize that he is currently on the staff, and this organization prides itself on continuity. Promotion from within often does not work. But at times it does. We will find out because he is the prohibitive favorite for the job.

I don’t get everyone bringing up his tenure at the Raiders, I know that was his last head coaching gig, but it was also 8 years ago. Do you not believe someone can grow in their knowledge with experience? In a similar opportunity would you want someone to cap your experience (and potential compensation) at where you were 8 years ago?

I'm not to the point of saying I definitely want Allen as the next coach, but I do see the positives of that decision, and I think you and others are making some good points.

I'd still like to see an earnest search conducted. Even when a situation is good, the mindset shouldn't be that it can't be improved upon. If we are going to consider what could go wrong with wholesale changes, we should also consider the possibility that it could work in the team's favor. That said, I do trust Loomis to make a good decision.
It really all comes down to this, we still have a VERY talented roster with good people within a great organization. Now, if we were fairly devoid of talent, then I'd be all for hiring from the outside if that was the best option. Do we need some pieces? Absolutely, and we need the most important piece, the QB. I'm just saying that with what we have on roster now, with the cap issues supposedly getting a lot better after next year, then let's keep trying to win this thing with what we have in house.

It’s on Allen and any other internal candidate to sell continuity if that’s his vision. Of course we’re only guessing that’s what he’d do if he gets the job. Expected, but he should get the same freedom to build the staff that he thinks will keep him in the job three years from now as any other candidate would.
Very true, If Allen gets the job he will have that opportunity just like anyone else. My guess is he’ll keep the vast majority of the staff. Also, keep in mind that they know exactly what they have in Allen. He’s been in the building on and off for a LONG time. I’m sure they have a very strong idea of how he thinks, his personality, his strengths and weaknesses and his ability to lead a team. I’m sure they’re not going to just hand him the keys because he’s already there. Whether or not he gets hired will be a decision made with a very good amount of information. They know who they have and will act accordingly.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom