Offenses with the lowest rates of pass-catchers being considered open or wide open...32. New Orleans Saints (1 Viewer)

Whether its scheme, or running poor routes, or lack of effort... I've seen the coverage that most of our plays are getting and there aren't many places to throw the ball.

Winston has missed a few wide open guys, but that's only part of the story.

I'm just trying to get people to acknowledge that the problem is not isolated to the QB position. There are major issues everywhere on offense and a QB change is not going to solve all of them.
Yeah, 100% agree with this and it's why I had a meltdown after the game. Even in spite of Winston., we should of coasted to a 10 point victory against Carolina. There is so many issues across the board and DA and Pete are providing no presence or accountability on offense in 3 weeks.

That's not how that works, but thanks for the effort, I suppose.
So how does it work? You have a top 10 offense, mostly top 5 for the entire time Brees is your QB and he leaves and you become one of the worst? That’s not a scheme issue that’s a QB issue. You can spin it however you want but PC and the scheme are fine it’s on field management of thst scheme that is the problem.

I got a lot of neg rep for suggesting our receivers were a part of the problem and aren't getting any separation.

Anything that isn't placing all of the blame on Winston doesn't fit the narrative that most of this board are pushing.

So how does it work? You have a top 10 offense, mostly top 5 for the entire time Brees is your QB and he leaves and you become one of the worst? That’s not a scheme issue that’s a QB issue. You can spin it however you want but PC and the scheme are fine it’s on field management of thst scheme that is the problem.
To go one further, Joe Brady took that same scheme to LSU and won a national title and destroyed every D they faced, they had an accurate QB thst could read a D and get rid of the ball.

Here’s the thing, we’re top 10 on total yards, top 10 in passing yards, and right outside of the top 15 in rushing yards. And yet our scoring offense is in the bottom half of the league.

That suggest that we’re a bad team especially once you look at the turnovers. We dead last in turnover differentials, have the most turnovers in the league, and we’re doing it both on the ground and through the air.

On top of that, we are 2nd highest penalized team in the league and our run defense is near the bottom of the league.

Then you have special teams…. We are currently hitting 50% of our field goal attempts. That’s absolutely horrible.

The answer is simple. We are just undisciplined and are constantly making mental mistakes. You can’t win playing this bad in all phases of the game.
Embarissing for a so called veteran team. Allen is making McCarthy look good.

I don't think the WR are the problem. It's that they aren't being scheme open good enough to be honest.
It’s a meme but Mike Thomas isn’t running his best route. He got separation on slants with the regularity before. I think the problem is our current QB just isn’t suited to those routes or the playcaller doesn’t trust him.

It’s a meme but Mike Thomas isn’t running his best route. He got separation on slants with the regularity before. I think the problem is our current QB just isn’t suited to those routes or the playcaller doesn’t trust him.
Your last sentence is exactly what I think is a big problem with the offense. Last year when Winston played everyone said it looked like SP was holding him back, I think it’s more limiting the playbook to what he could do. I’m not sure which QB it was, Dalton or TS, that the Saints playbook was the most complicated offense they’d ever seen. With the right QB the playbook expands to a more difficult scheme to defend.

My only push back is that MT is not a separation guy, you got to give him a ball he can make a play on. I agree it's bigger tan Jameis but he does deserve part the blame-that's part of being QB.
But his share of the blame doesn't merit benching him for the great ginger savior.

Our plays take longer to develop than our Offensive line can block.

To go one further, Joe Brady took that same scheme to LSU and won a national title and destroyed every D they faced, they had an accurate QB thst could read a D and get rid of the ball.
Because it's really not that simple. LSU fell apart afterwards. Joe Burrow doesn't have the offensive line to get back to his GOAT season. Joe Brady flamed out.

Why did the greatest show on Turf fell apart.... MArtz didn't reinvent the system. QB that made it work got old. Every year you have to reinvent your offense just enough to stay ahead of the curve,hide tendencies, and create opportunities.

Payton was working some good things with WInston, but we did have a WR talent problem due to injury and lack of a timely reloading. Once WInston got taken out.... Even Payton's offense was getting exploited.

You promoted a guy that never made an offense. He just call plays from someone else's offense. We need more games to compile a tendency profile, but even people here are catching onto some bad tendency in just three games. Pete doesn't make this offense feel creative or adaptive at all. It's a constant running into a brick wall sloppy. We draw up a good play what feels like once every 4 calls.

We ran a picture perfect slant to MT for 17 yards... Penality brought it back... Not a single slant for the rest of the game.

Defense live on tendency by formation/personel too nowadays. We got to find ways to be more creative and bust coverage way better.

So, you go from having a square peg going into a square hole, then you change coaching and QBs. Now you have a square peg trying to fit a round hole, it’s going to be ugly. Not to mention we’ve been running the same offense for well over a decade with the last 4 seasons limiting the deep ball.

Every wanna be Up and coming OC and DC has studied our offense because at one time it was one of the very best that couldn’t be defended. They know our offense better than Carmichael at this point and how to defend it. QB is only a part of the issues.

Your last sentence is exactly what I think is a big problem with the offense. Last year when Winston played everyone said it looked like SP was holding him back, I think it’s more limiting the playbook to what he could do. I’m not sure which QB it was, Dalton or TS, that the Saints playbook was the most complicated offense they’d ever seen. With the right QB the playbook expands to a more difficult scheme to defend.
I could accept that thinking if Jameis just got in the building but he's been here by invitation for three years and the coaches have known for months he was their guy. If the playbook doesn't fit Jameis why did you bring him and keep him? If you know Jameis is your starter why are you not catering to what he does well. I'm not saying Jameis doesn't deserve blame but coaching and planning is part of it as well.

I could accept that thinking if Jameis just got in the building but he's been here by invitation for three years and the coaches have knwn for months he was their guy. If the playbook doesn't fit Jameis why did you bring him and keep him? If you know Jameis is your starter why are ypu not catering to what he does well. I'm not saying Jameis doesn't deserve blame but coaching and planning is part of it as well.
I think it was because he was our last resort. According to the media the saints went after 3 or 4 QBs this off-season then settled on Winston.
I think they are catering to what he does well and that’s why our D is sluggish. He throws more deep balls in 2 games this year than Brees would throw in a season. Brees read the d at the line and had an idea which routes would be there and checked down quickly if it wasn’t. I’m not sure Winston checked down once this year. Secondly we have always been a screen team but those short accurate passes aren’t a part of Winstons positives that’s why everything he throws is over 10 yards it seems.

If Dalton were to come in and play well and lead us to a win would be the only way to tell if it’s scheme or QB.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom