Offensive gameplan (1 Viewer)

Derilicte

Banned
Reaction score
When will people realize that Payton's offense doesn't revolve around the TE. So many people want to have this all pro pass catching TE, most of which can't block worth a lick. Here's the deal -- we started the season with an Oline that has not only never played together, but most were starting a new postion for the first time. So Payton went with football inteligence and ability to block over athleticism. Conwell is one of the smartest players on the field. Campbell, Euhus can block well. The TE on our team is not a second option, not a third option, but the last option when throwing the ball. Brees is a good enough quarterback to find the open man rather than forcing it, so our TEs will get a few catches a game, but thats it. Get over it with this we need a TE who can catch BS. Why would we even want to be able to throw a pass to someone other than Horn, Colston, Bush, Deuce, or any other player with the speed to break the big one. I understand that a TE can be used affectively down the middle of the field to stop safeties from double teaming our WR, but we don't need one to be a successful offense.

You make a good argument. But, I think if we can be lucky enough to find a blocking TE that can catch as well like Tony gonzalez, tod heap or gates, our offense will be more potent especially in the red zone During next years offseason, I think a TE should be prioritized after a CB, LB, OL depth, and DT depth.

you can never have too man weapons on offense.

Actually Payton designs his offense around the weapons he has, he doesn't force his players into a certain system. I remember reading before the season how when he was hired he looked at film of Deuce McCallister to see what plays work well for him and put those plays in his offense. He did the same thing when we signed Brees and Bush. I can guarantee you that if we had or if we happen to acquire an all-pro, pass catching tight end in the future Payton would fit him into the offense. He knows how to use the weapons he has. Right now our tight ends are good blockers so that is how they are used.

We don't need anymore play makers. We need the ones we have to stop turning the ball over and we'll be fine on offense.

I mean I would like to get a TE that is capable of blocking/catching. But I see waaay too many posts saying we need to take on in the first round. I disagree with that. I would never want a TE in the first round I mean you can find good TE's in the third or second round. That is IF Payton feels it is necassary to get one in the next draft. I mean I just think that we need to go defensive in the first round next year. Of course all of this is wishful thinking because you never know what happens in free agency. Who would have thought we would get Drew Brees but I agree with Derilicte on his stance on the issue.

Payton's game plan is based on the players he has. If you noticed kast year in Dallas, he had Jason Witten, who was used quite a lot. Here, he has a young O-line and TEs who are known as blockers, not catchers, so -surprise, surprise- Payton is using them almost exclusively as blockers. This is simply smart player evaluation and coaching. He learned from the best, the Tuna, who has changed his offensive philosophy with each team he coached due to the personnal he had.
If the Saints get a TE who is a threat catching the ball, Payton will design his offense to use him. If he doesn't, he'll design his offense to the strengths he does have and safegaurd the weaknesses he has, just as he has been doing this year.
Give the man some credit. He is not a 1-size-fits-all type of coach like Bum Phillips. He is an excellent talent evaluator of his team (a rare gift - most people think what they have is better than it really is) and an excellent play designer based on his evaluations.

Payton's game plan is based on the players he has. If you noticed kast year in Dallas, he had Jason Witten, who was used quite a lot. Here, he has a young O-line and TEs who are known as blockers, not catchers, so -surprise, surprise- Payton is using them almost exclusively as blockers. This is simply smart player evaluation and coaching. He learned from the best, the Tuna, who has changed his offensive philosophy with each team he coached due to the personnal he had.
If the Saints get a TE who is a threat catching the ball, Payton will design his offense to use him. If he doesn't, he'll design his offense to the strengths he does have and safegaurd the weaknesses he has, just as he has been doing this year.
Give the man some credit. He is not a 1-size-fits-all type of coach like Bum Phillips. He is an excellent talent evaluator of his team (a rare gift - most people think what they have is better than it really is) and an excellent play designer based on his evaluations.

Well I for one am not yet ready to declare Payton God! Don't get me wrong I feel he is a good coach, but lots of things have tipped the scale in his favor. For one the Saints landed Brees, imagine this team with Culpepper!:dunno: The Saints OL is not that good at all folks, if you believe otherwise then your just fooling yourself. Bree's has made this OL look decent by getting rid of the football quickly & efficiently. The run blocking is atrocious and only Deuce because of his size can pound the ball & gain positive yardage. And this only happens because of Bree's ability to soften up the defense with the passing game. Our defense is average at best & this team is quite lucky to be 5-2 thus for IMO. I think we can be competitive the rest of the year but we have got to beat the lone (semi-weak so to speak) team in our division. Without a doubt the Saints are looking at 8-8 to 10-6 on the season and really need to win this division. The Saints control their own destiny and Payton along with his team will prove just how good he is by years end. If Payton puts this team in the playoffs then have the olive oil on standby.:9:

Well I for one am not yet ready to declare Payton God! Don't get me wrong I feel he is a good coach, but lots of things have tipped the scale in his favor. For one the Saints landed Brees, imagine this team with Culpepper!:dunno: The Saints OL is not that good at all folks, if you believe otherwise then your just fooling yourself. Bree's has made this OL look decent by getting rid of the football quickly & efficiently. The run blocking is atrocious and only Deuce because of his size can pound the ball & gain positive yardage. And this only happens because of Bree's ability to soften up the defense with the passing game. Our defense is average at best & this team is quite lucky to be 5-2 thus for IMO. I think we can be competitive the rest of the year but we have got to beat the lone (semi-weak so to speak) team in our division. Without a doubt the Saints are looking at 8-8 to 10-6 on the season and really need to win this division. The Saints control their own destiny and Payton along with his team will prove just how good he is by years end. If Payton puts this team in the playoffs then have the olive oil on standby.:9:

Reggie has made this OL look worse than they should. I stopped counting how many times Reggie ran to a spot than changed his run just to see the whole open like flood gates the second he lives the hole only because he's hitting the holes too fast. If he would just go half speed to his gap before he put the jets on, he'd have around 100-200 yards more right now.

I'm not saying the OL is great or even above average just that they are not as good at pass blocking as Brees makes them seem and they are not as bad at run-blocking as Reggie has made them seem.

It's not a coincidence Deuce has averaged close to 5 yards a carry this year, while Bush is around 3. It's patience hitting the hole........point blank! You could even go as far to say that this might be Paytons 1 true mistake thus far in the fact that he's not giving Bush a chance to get into a rythym running the ball. There is no way for Reggie to find his way running the ball unless you actually give him the ball during a real game, not practice. UNtil Reggie finds his "patience" he will continue to struggle.

I really feel he needs a game where he can carry the ball 20 times to accomplish this!

I really feel he needs a game where he can carry the ball 20 times to accomplish this!

I think if he is ready to go this Sunday, we will see him get alot more than his season average. I would guess around 18.

Payton's gameplan revolves around Reggie Bush,Reggie Bush and Reggie Bush

I basically agree with your premise. However, effectively taking away the Tight End as a pass catching option hurts the red zone offense. When you can not stretch the field, the windows the QB can throw through and get positive results get aweful small. Therefore it is better to have as many windows as possible. A good tight end also has the benefit of increasing his window size just with his size and strength, i.e. he can catch the ball in traffic.

Keep the blocking tight ends in until you get inside the twenty. Go to a big receiving corps in the red zone.

hopefully, Payton's ego wasn't shaken too much last week, but I still have confidence that he can evaluate the status of each of his players and gameplan and make adjustments as needed.

He is the leader of the leaders of the leaders, etc.

I agree with you completely on our offensive line benefiting from Bree's quick and efficient passing. Our O-line is not nearly as good (run or pass blocking) as many here believe and that more than anything explains why we need/have blocking TEs.

Actually Payton designs his offense around the weapons he has, he doesn't force his players into a certain system. I remember reading before the season how when he was hired he looked at film of Deuce McCallister to see what plays work well for him and put those plays in his offense. He did the same thing when we signed Brees and Bush. I can guarantee you that if we had or if we happen to acquire an all-pro, pass catching tight end in the future Payton would fit him into the offense. He knows how to use the weapons he has. Right now our tight ends are good blockers so that is how they are used.

My point exactly, in the preseason we didn't have one(pass-catching TE) and there weren't any available, so he went with what he had. It would be great to get a guy like the three you mentioned, but there is a reason why there are only three of them. I think our first need via draft or FA is youth at CB and DT.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom