Offensive line didn't get 4 preseason games to gel and missing its 1st round rookie. (1 Viewer)

Taker597

Hall-of-Famer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Plus, The Bucs where throwing in new wrinkles that we haven't seen before till yesterday.

We are just gonna have to be patient and let the interior line go through its growing pains. Offense will struggle against good dline till we iron out the kinks.

This game is also why I rather have Mccoy at guard, because I don't trust a rookie with gap stunts or delay blitz. Let Drew handle the line calls.

Hopefully, Ruiz gets in next week so we can get the interior to gel and some continuity.

Last edited:
The Bucs also had a month to study Saints game tape. Saints had no such luxury with Tampa moving so many pieces.

Next weeks opponent has no such luxury. The Raiders dont have the talent to thwart the Saints offensive game plan

The Bucs also had a month to study Saints game tape. Saints had no such luxury with Tampa moving so many pieces.

Next weeks opponent has no such luxury. The Raiders dont have the talent to thwart the Saints offensive game plan
Good point, I just want to stress the point is that despite Brees usually a no show in Pre-season. Starting Oline is present for every game. Even playing going into the 3rd quarter.

And with no official offseason program, no preseason games and reduced time in training camp, not just the Saints but all teams will take a while to fire on all cylinders. We are going to have some sloppy and substandard play for a few weeks across the league.

And that's a big reason I'm not writing off the Bucs with the massive amount of offseason change they have experienced this year.

Good game, really good Saints team and really nice win

Plus, The Bucs where throwing in new wrinkles that we haven't seen before till yesterday.

We are just gonna have to be patient and let the interior line go through its growing pains. Offense will struggle against good dline till we iron out the kinks.

This game is also why I rather have Mccoy at guard, because I don't trust a rookie with gap stunts or delay blitz. Let Drew handle the line calls.

Hopefully, Ruiz gets in next week so we can get the interior to gel and some continuity.

Have to be patient with Peat I guess. But he missed multiple assignments in the run game, right now I would start Easton and the rook (if healthy) over Peat....but not going to happen. Hopefully he improves (he did have a great block on the screen play to Harris) but he wasn't exactly rock solid against TB.....

Speaking on this game. I'm going to find that Raiders game a lot more easier since they won't have a crowd. Think it would have been a much tougher game with a crowd and being their first ever home game in Vegas.

You are correct, but I still can't give them a pass. It's the same line from last year, minus one guy. I know we'll clean it up, but it was disappointing to see the line play so badly.

Have to be patient with Peat I guess. But he missed multiple assignments in the run game, right now I would start Easton and the rook (if healthy) over Peat....but not going to happen. Hopefully he improves (he did have a great block on the screen play to Harris) but he wasn't exactly rock solid against TB.....
Felt like even with the missed assignments. This year Peat was clearly better than last year Peat by a solid margin. He was flat out awful at times and I'm done giving him a pass for injuries for last year.

You are correct, but I still can't give them a pass. It's the same line from last year, minus one guy. I know we'll clean it up, but it was disappointing to see the line play so badly.

Maybe I missed it but I didn't think the OL played particularly badly. They were decent enough against a very strong front 7. I've watched the game twice now and just don't see anything other than at worst a creditable draw for the OL.

Peat and Kamara just whiffed on some blocks. Easton looked like the better guard yesterday which is worrisome.

Maybe I missed it but I didn't think the OL played particularly badly. They were decent enough against a very strong front 7. I've watched the game twice now and just don't see anything other than at worst a creditable draw for the OL.

You're right that it was a tough defensive front to protect against. I thought we were a lot more inconsistent than usual. Missed blocks, Brees was pressured a good bit. It wasn't the worst performance, but it wasn't really good. Lots to clean up, IMO. Not just for the o-line, but Cook dropped a pass, Brees made some bad throws, play-calling wasn't great, etc. Thankfully we were still able to overcome the issues, but I guess I thought, as did many, that we would come out and look more sharp considering the unit is mostly unchanged from last year.

Peat and Kamara just whiffed on some blocks. Easton looked like the better guard yesterday which is worrisome.

Peat missed a block which led to a TFL. Then made a key block on the TD right after that. He had another 3-4 minuses and may have given up a pressure (hard to tell who was meant to have who on the alabama blood cross) but also made another key block for a big play. So, as far as I could tell, he played pretty well over the course of 68 plays.

You're right that it was a tough defensive front to protect against. I thought we were a lot more inconsistent than usual. Missed blocks, Brees was pressured a good bit. It wasn't the worst performance, but it wasn't really good. Lots to clean up, IMO. Not just for the o-line, but Cook dropped a pass, Brees made some bad throws, play-calling wasn't great, etc. Thankfully we were still able to overcome the issues, but I guess I thought, as did many, that we would come out and look more sharp considering the unit is mostly unchanged from last year.

Agreed. It wasn't a great offensive performance from us - lack of rythm, poor play calls and/ or poor decisions/ passes by Brees, and TE's/WR's could have done better as well. All in all, much to correct but I don't think this is a scenario where somehow if only the OL hadn't played so poorly we would have been great - far from it, the problems were mainly elsewhere.

Agreed. It wasn't a great offensive performance from us - lack of rythm, poor play calls and/ or poor decisions/ passes by Brees, and TE's/WR's could have done better as well. All in all, much to correct but I don't think this is a scenario where somehow if only the OL hadn't played so poorly we would have been great - far from it, the problems were mainly elsewhere.

I guess I can mainly agree with that. I still know it was not the best performance from this o-line, which we all feel is one of the best in the league. The run lanes weren't there, and there was a little too much pressure allowed, although not absolutely terrible there. I think most impressive was the lack of false start and holding penalties. That's huge for the first game in a crazy year. You're right that there's a lot of blame elsewhere. Receivers seemed to struggle getting open and just lots of bad plays. But hey, we won, so all in all, it's not that bad! I know we'll get the offense cleaned up. What's great is seeing the defense off to a faster start than normal. That's very encouraging.

All 5 starters were on the team last year.

That's not gonna fly. Not even remotely close.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom