Offensive Line [merged x6] (1 Viewer)

No players brought in through free agency, no players drafted and no improvement in the guys already here. How could the organization do nothing to improve this essential area, especially considering Drew Brees is 36 and in the last year of his contract? It makes no sense and it is starting to look like another wasted season due to refusing to improve an area which had to be second in need only to the defense.
You are correct. I'm not going to call the season a waste yet, but it's hard to see us going far as Playoffs or anything. OG was a glaring weakness and we put all our eggs in the andrus peat basket, when he can't even play his "natural" position of tackle, much less guard. Two things we needed were pass rush DE, and OG. We didn't do anything for OG, but may have lucked up with Edabali at DE. We can have one mediocre guard but can't have two. Because of that we cannot run the ball. If we can't run the ball then we only can go so far.

Lot of UDFAs were signed but none are showing much promise at Guard or Tackle.

We've got a serious Oline issue.

Landon Turner played really good at RG ... and Jack Allen played well at C .... Peat needs to get some work at the RT position ....

I don't know what the Cowboys' asking price is for Ronald Leary, but if it isn't unreasonable, I hope Loomis is on the phone tomorrow making the deal. IMO, the Saints should have taken La'el Collins in the third round instead of taking a backup quarterback. Maybe they see something special in Peat, but it looks like the Saints overdrafted him. I am not saying he won't become a serviceable player, but he is clearly not ready to start.

I don't fault the Saints for targeting defensive players in the draft. They had to get younger, faster, more talented and more intelligent and I believe they have some players now that will be a part of the next good Saints defense. But the problems with the offensive line cannot wait until the young players develop while praying that Strief still has enough left in the tank to last the season. As rsonza suggested, whether by trade or waiver claim, the Saints have to try to upgrade the production on the offensive line.

Drew Brees won't last long behind this Offensive Line

In my opinion, tonight's game represented the worse performance of the Offensive Line in the Sean Payton era. Preseason or not this is concerning for Saints fans. Zach Strief got ran over by Clowney early in the game; it was the same play where Brees got mauled and got a roughing the passer penalty. I know Andrus Peat is only in his second year but he was a first round pick that I shook my head at when was picked and I'm flat out disgusted with him!!!! This guy is awful and if he's supposed to eventually replace Strief well then I guess we're truly rebuilding because Brees will not be healthy for long given Peat's shoddy play. Also, the Saints lack of ability to run the ball is very alarming. That's two weeks in a row and although I know the Texans are a top defense Sean Payton has to be in "what to we do" mode. There is no way this team will be a top 10 offense with a lack luster running game that we've seen so far. In my opinion the blocking is horrific to the point where there are no holes to run through and the run play calling is unimaginative. It seems that opposing teams always have cutback lanes against us but that's not the case when the Saints have the ball. I'm trying not to overreact after only two Preseason games but for the last 10 years Saints fans are used to having a top 10 offense. However, after two weeks this is the first time where I'm actually a little pessimistic about the offense going forward. At least the defense seems to be treading in the right direction. They're not "there" yet but at least they're not going backwards.

I was beating the drum to draft Tunsil instead of Rankins or trading down with the Jets picking up an extra 2nd to draft Whitehair and got red thumbed out the wazoo. Just as I thought Fairley has looked really good making Rankins a luxury pick. Just as I predicted, the O-line has looked horrible and now everyone is worried....

Any chance our team has of winning begins and ends with Brees. He's not young any more and way more susceptible to injury and we might be trotting out the worse oline he's ever played behind....

I don't know what the Cowboys' asking price is for Ronald Leary, but if it isn't unreasonable, I hope Loomis is on the phone tomorrow making the deal.

The problem is reports have noted the Saints have discussed a trade for him previously.

If I'm the Cowboys, after watching the Saints first two games whatever my asking price was I'd be asking for even more now.

I'm just surprised nobody realizes that we played two really good defenses the last 2 weeks. This is what we want to do in preseason. Plus it doesn't get any easier next week. In preseason you want to play the best to see where you are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No...our oline is pretty meh. A week after us the Pats DLine gave up 5ypc. The week b4 us the Texans gave up 5ypc. Might b off on the numbers but both teams were gashed in the running game when it wasn't us running the ball.

On some offensive lines 5 guys playing together can help each other and carry the weaknesses of one poor lineman if there happens to be one on the line. What the Saints are currently trying to do is have two guys in Unger and Armstead carry three poor lineman, it's not going to happen .

I agree.. I know that young players take time to develop but a first round OL should be at least be able to block an opponent.. Peat is hopeless and is going to get Brees killed. Trade him to Dallas for Leary. Every other OL is trying to compensate for his flaws.

The metrics came out and somehow convinced everyone that Strief was great. Lelito, too. You guys remember that? People actually WERE using grades to tout them up.

Somewhere, the Atlanta fan who makes up those metrics is titteeing like an old cartoon villain.

I remember hearing about a zone scheme for the o-line? I haven't been able to watch the games. Is this the scheme in these games? I thought the consensus was switching to the zone scheme for blocking was going to mask the deficiencies of the line. Hence why we kept the same guys

OL

Just think we could have had Tunsil and Collins the 2 best lineman to come out the SEC in awhile. Don't mind me just playing shoulda coulda woulda. Obviously we would have to move Tunsil to RT. armstead, Collins, unger, kelemete, and Tunsil would have been unstoppable with Brees back there.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom