Offensive Line Thread (1 Viewer)

sfidc3

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Much of the talk this week will be about Taysom (and the much improved D), and rightfully so....but I wanted to give a shout out to our offensive line. I'm beginning to think we have the best run-blocking line in the NFL. Against one of the best run defenses (I think Atlanta is 6th), we ran 36 times at almost 5 yards a pop (168 yards total).

I'm pressed for time now but later I will compile our running stats during this winning streak. I'm pretty sure we have run 30+ times in every win.

Offensive lines rarely get the credit they deserve. And this one deserves some....

The line is generally solid, but we are still having some let downs on pass pro from the interior. McCoy simply can't hold on that bomb to Sanders, and Peat had a rough day. By the way, is he hurt again?

I've said before that I think there's something to be said about the effectiveness of a lineman when he has to drop back and take blows all game vs one that gets to go out and find someone to blow up.

Definite probs to the line yesterday having to adjust pass protection for a guy twice as fast at navigating a pocket as drew, but twice as slow at getting the ball out.

We have got to figure out how to get Ruiz up to speed. He shouldn't be struggling this much. He's too talented.

In fairness to Ruiz, he is a rookie who is having to learn while the bullets are flying. He didn’t get the benefit of a Rookie Camp, typical Training Camp or any of the customary off season routines most rookies go through before taking their first snaps. Not to mention he is playing a position that requires smarts and athleticism to play. I don’t think he’ll get his sea legs until next season and I’m fine with that. I still believe he will be a star on our line in the future.

In fairness to Ruiz, he is a rookie who is having to learn while the bullets are flying. He didn’t get the benefit of a Rookie Camp, typical Training Camp or any of the customary off season routines most rookies go through before taking their first snaps. Not to mention he is playing a position that requires smarts and athleticism to play. I don’t think he’ll get his sea legs until next season and I’m fine with that. I still believe he will be a star on our line in the future.
This is the key point with Ruiz. It takes time for an offensive line to gel, and missing training camp, preseason, etc. would be especially hard on a 21-year-old lineman. He has the necessary tools. Thank goodness we have Easton to platoon with Ruiz, though.

The line is generally solid, but we are still having some let downs on pass pro from the interior. McCoy simply can't hold on that bomb to Sanders, and Peat had a rough day. By the way, is he hurt again?

I didn't say they were perfect. Even the best olines have bad moments and they do sometimes struggle a bit in pass pro but as others have said both Ruiz and McCoy will get better (and keep in mind they will be playing different positions next year likely).

But man do they run block well....that can go a long way....especially since SP appears to finally be committed to the run...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom