Offensive or not? Chicago Cubs 2008 print ad... (2 Viewers)

Wow! This turned into an anti-japanese love fest pretty fast. Haven't all countries done their wrongs? I completely understand that some get touchy (not to be taken lightly) over certain events/symbols/actions. I'm not trying to lessen your situation, but I really don't feel that this should just be a singular attack against the Japanese for their wrongs. All are guilty of the same actions.

Personal attachments aside, to tie in the Cubbies symbol inside as the rising sun is a good idea cause the Cubs could be on the rise (said every year faithfully just like Saints fans).

I'm of Filipino descent so there's no love lost between me and wartime Japan. For those that think Pearl Harbor was the only heinous act committed by Imperial Japan, read up on the Rape of Nanking, The Bataan Death March, Comfort Women, their treatment of POWs, the list goes on. The contempt for that flag by WWII vets and non-Japanese Asians is well deserved.

I hear what you are saying, but those types of things are not reserved to the Japanese during WWII. Similar things have been done by the U.S. and most every other nation during times of war, "Trail of Tears", Mi Li, internment of Japanese-Americans during WWII, the fire bombing of Dresden, etc. and I don't think the U.S. flag should offend anyone.

Arguably, even the use of the second atomic bomb on Nagasaki or the use of nuclear bombs at all were heinous acts. The Japanese would have given up even if we had only dropped one and we would have won no matter what. In the end, I agree with the decision to drop them to save the lives of our soldiers, but many, many Japanese civilians paid that price.

Last edited:
Yes, I agree. I suppose though, plenty of people could still find anything Japanese offensive depending on their situation. I'm sure some survivors of Pearl Harbor hold resentment, as you mentioned.

I also agree think placing people in ovens or relegating them to concentration camps and carrying out their cleansing is enough to make most people despise the swastika forever.

A little off topic, but I remember visiting Pearl Harbor. Most of the people in the boat we were on were Asian and the rest looked like old WWII vets. The Asain people were very happy and taking pictures while the older caucasions kept side glancing (almost sneering) at the Asians.

Kind of random, but I think something huge like WWII is really hard to get past.

A little off topic, but I remember visiting Pearl Harbor. Most of the people in the boat we were on were Asian and the rest looked like old WWII vets. The Asain people were very happy and taking pictures while the older caucasions kept side glancing (almost sneering) at the Asians.

Kind of random, but I think something huge like WWII is really hard to get past.

Oh yeah, I don't doubt that and depending on the varied reactions at Pearl Harbor like you described it could certainly lead to tensions between certain parties. But I certainly believe it's generational. Me personally, I have no ill thoughts whatsoever towards the Japanese despite both my grandparents living and serving in WWII. It wouldn't shock me one bit if the Japanese tourists took pride in that situation, as there are plenty of American vets who take pride in their wartime accomplishments. Again, it doesn't shock me though I'm not of that ilk because of my age. I'd be just as likely to go up and talk to those tourists and learn their feelings.

Just to be clear, me, personally, I don't find the ad offensive nor do I feel it'll cause much of a stir.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom