Offensive Strategy this week? (1 Viewer)

RKNSaint

Contrarian
Reaction score
I see a few Defensive strategy threads. What about Offense? I hope we can line up and run the ball first to open up the pass. Big dose of Murray with Kamara also on the field. Would like to hear from the match up guys what we might do. Thanks.

JvilleJoe

Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The problem with Zack is that, if my memory serves, he has not even practiced in a limited capacity for the last few weeks. Wednesday will be a huge day information wise to see if he is on the field doing some work. Same frankly for Armstead and IMO he is even more important to keeping Drew off the turf against the fierce niner rush.

Last edited:

ASaintFerLife

A Shining light of Truth
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
I wish we would go power run on them and like Baltimore did, but we will go fast bang bang pass plays.

I am not sure if our line is setup for the power run and if SP can stay committed to it.

But if we go one dimensional then it hurts us bad.

Saint Lattimore

Restricted Airspace
Reaction score
If Zach Line is back, we'll have a much better chance at making this a reality. Running game hasn't been the same since he's been hurt.
That and the loss of Andrus Peat. Easton is a more consistent pass blocker than Peat, but when Peat is “on” he’s an absolute road-grader in the run game.

Saint Lattimore

Restricted Airspace
Reaction score
The 49er defense is the real deal. The Saints offense hasn’t been very good even when facing average defenses. The key to winning this game will be the offense doing “enough” and not turning the ball over.
The Saints defense and special teams will have to make some big plays for the Saints to get the W.
If San Fran scores 20 or more, Saints will lose.

blotch1

All-Pro
Reaction score
Run up the middle and lots of short quick passes and an emphasis on no turnovers.

The Moose

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
That wide alignment they do is prime for the screen game.

The real issue with them is they are light and quick. As good as bosa is as a rusher he is not good defending the run right at him. Don't run outside of him where his speed comes into play run at him.

Exploit weaknesses that is they give up almost 5 yards a crack. Then one that is going play action.

They play a ton of zone stuff and let the front four do all the heavy lifting. Last time I checked drew ain't scared of zone. So expect lots of work over the middle up the seams.

SaintsNY

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
49ers aren't that strong against the run as they are against the pass ( stillpretty good though). I'd have Murray handle the majority of runs, with Alvin in passing situations or change of pace.

syracuse saint

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
2 tight end sets with chip from RB's on pass plays, utilizing a lot of screens to counter their pass rush. Zone blocking. Re-visit our Seahawks blocking game plan. The keys to this game would be getting Armstead back and having Zach Line available. Also, we can't hurt ourselves with dumb penalties. Lord knows that the refs will create enough of their own. We aren't good enough to beat the Niners plus the refs, so if the game is called like our recent games (nobody is), we don't have a chance.

Infoman

Lawd Have Mercy!
Reaction score
I'd love to be able to spread them out... use a ton of motion / pre-snap shifts..... multiple 4-wide personnel packages alternating Taysom, Kamara, and Murray in the backfield... and allowing Cook to create the strong side based on where he lines up.... then let Brees chew them up with tempo and checks...

But since we only have one reliable WR... I'm gonna go with Let's try and trick em, maybe get a random screen or 2 to break for a big one, and throw it to MT13 every time we need a play.

Last edited:

saint_drago

I Must Break You
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I'll never get used to saying this but we need to run the ball and play good defense. Stop the run and limit the big plays. Take Kittle out of the equation and force Jimmy G to beat you throwing to someone else.

Really need to limit the mistakes on offense. Stay on time and convert on 3rd and short. SP needs to dust off his screen playbook from the PT days. The 49ers have a great pass rush but the screen game can turn their strength into a weakness.

Running the ball is crucial but SP is going to find out early how they plan to guard MT. If they can't guard him then SP is going to relentlessly exploit that. If AK is healthy and has his head in the game he could be the difference. Cook is going to have a lot of room to work but he has to make the catch. SP needs to get him a few balls early to build confidence and keep him engaged.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom