Official 2021 Quarterback Draft Class and In Season Scouting Thread (1 Viewer)

The bombs that Fields threw showed he has a great arm but prove nothing as far as reading progressions and throwing into windows and to throw guys open. Think back and tell me one throw tonight where Fields completed a pass to a guy breaking open behind a LB with a guy in his face.
The TD pass to the tight end right before the end of the half. Very tight window. And he was under duress. And he was playing with broken ribs.

Sunshine had no broken ribs. And he couldn't stand strong in the pocket. He was terrified of getting hit. He threw off his back foot at least a dozen times tonight, and I think that number is being kind. Recipe for disaster at the next level.

Lawrence has about a 35% chance of being a bust. Because you can't teach heart. He is more likely to want to brush his flawless hair than to stand tall in the pocket.

Good luck Jacksonville. You're going to need it.

Last edited:
Meh. Mr Fumblina didn't look the part. He had a couple decent plays, and his play caller didn't do him any favors tonight, but the clapping to snap the ball, nothing but shotgun, way too many runs with nothing to show, terrible under pressure... And all with having the best player on the field to throw to. #17. I doubt Lawrence has any measurable success as a pro.

The knee jerk reactions based on this game are so typical it borders on cliche. The armchair talent scouts come pouring out during these big bowl games. I feel like this happens most years around this time so can't say I'm surprised.

The knee jerk reactions based on this game are so typical it borders on cliche. The armchair talent scouts come pouring out during these big bowl games. I feel like this happens most years around this time so can't say I'm surprised.

Exactly. If you didn’t see Fields play against Northwestern a couple of weeks ago, then it didn’t happen. Pro scouts actually watch all of the games.

Jets got 2nd... They may try to sell the pick and keep building with Darnold.

Still too expensive
I'm just not sold on Darnold, he has the build but that's all I see. What is he in year 3?

I keep seeing Newman mocked to us in the 2nd. I have never seen him play, is he that good?

If we can't get Big MAC or Zack Wilson...then we roll with Hill or Winston....We wont be an elite team, but we'll be above average for sure with the talent we have .....

From the game story last night, “The defense looked lost with receivers running wide open. The Tigers kept the pocket clean for Fields, and they tackled worse than they had at any other point in the season.” Also, “The Buckeyes dominated Clemson’s offensive line. Lawrence went 33-of-48 for 400 yards, two touchdowns and the interception.” All that with a totally inexperienced playcaller. We all know the value of calling the plays at the right time but also calling plays to bring protections into play. Switch teams for the QBs last night and ask yourself what each would have done. We saw what Fields looked like in the situation Lawrence was dealing with last night. He was horrible against Indians and Northwestern’s defenses. Once again no comparison between the two as pro prospects.

If only you guys knew how to evaluate pro QB prospects. Ohio St is playing the Urban Meyer system which gets one on one coverage on all receivers all of whom run 4.3 or 4.4. They get wide open all game. That is why Tim Tebow was a 68% passer and Dwayne Haskins becomes the 5th pick in the draft. Because they spread the field so much it’s hard to blitz the QB so he can stand in there and make throws to wide open guys all game. The bombs that Fields threw showed he has a great arm but prove nothing as far as reading progressions and throwing into windows and to throw guys open. Think back and tell me one throw tonight where Fields completed a pass to a guy breaking open behind a LB with a guy in his face. Lawrence had guys in his face all game because an inexperienced playcaller was so repetitive with his calls not fooling the Ohio State defense at all. Lawrence when he had time was drilling deep in patterns, crossing patterns and deep button hooks. There is no comparison between these two QBs when it comes to pro potential. Lawrence’s upside is Manning or Brady with the right coach with no chance of being a bust. Fields upside is Donovan McNabb with a chance to be RG III.
Completely agree with this! College and Pro are 2 different beasts. There are a LOT of College QB’s who look amazing because of the system they play in and talent around them.

With Field's performance it's Looking more and more likely that a top QB will fall to the Saints.

Hopefully Mac Jones.

I am not overly impressed with any QBs outside of the Big 4. Desmond Ridder played great in the first half of the Georgia game but the second half was pretty bad. He underthrew a lot of balls and seems like a game manager. I don't know if he would ever ascend to the top tier of QBs in the NFL.

I have seen some people compare Mac Jones to Brady but when I watch Mac Jones he reminds me of Eli Manning. They are very similar in how they move in the pocket.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom