~~~ Official 2023 New Orleans Pelican Off-season Discussion Thread ~~~ (1 Viewer)

Looks like we already have a 2023 Offseason thread started at the beginning of the 2022-23 regular season.

Anyway, thoughts on Wiseman and/or Hayes?

It looks like both are going to be traded before the 2023-24 season. Both guys are still young and showed improvement last season, but Detroit is deep with 1st round talent so somebody has to go.

Looks like we already have a 2023 Offseason thread started at the beginning of the 2022-23 regular season.

It looks like both are going to be traded before the 2023-24 season. Both guys are still young and showed improvement last season, but Detroit is deep with 1st round talent so somebody has to go.
Just renamed the 2022 season discussion thread.

Detroit to me is interesting. I wonder when they get a real team going, because they have a lot of great pieces, but they don't come together.

For the life of me, I cannot understand why Jaxson Hayes hasn't made more of an impact.

He has an outside game, he has a midrange game (usually off screens, and in transition), and he has definitely graduated from Phi Slamma Jamma.

Is it that he doesn't post-up well, and gets knocked off his spot? Is it his defense?

For the life of me, I cannot understand why Jaxson Hayes hasn't made more of an impact.

He has an outside game, he has a midrange game (usually off screens, and in transition), and he has definitely graduated from Phi Slamma Jamma.

Is it that he doesn't post-up well, and gets knocked off his spot? Is it his defense?

He was very late (relatively speaking) to begin playing competitive hoops and I don't think he takes it all that seriously. If you watched him before games he's jacking up 3s and basically goofing off while CJ and JV are hitting the same shots they shoot in games or getting stretched, etc. He's got loads of athleticism but no basketball IQ or drive.

He also can't set a screen to save his life but that seems to be a Pels thing.

I should've specified, this is Killian Hayes, not Jaxson.

He’s a Laker as of the 6th of July.

Maybe I missed the discussion... So, who is carrying the Pels games this season? I only kept Directv to watch Sunday Ticket and the Pels games on Bally. However, Sunday Ticket is gone, and I heard that Bally went Belly up. So what's the best way to view both now?

Maybe I missed the discussion... So, who is carrying the Pels games this season? I only kept Directv to watch Sunday Ticket and the Pels games on Bally. However, Sunday Ticket is gone, and I heard that Bally went Belly up. So what's the best way to view both now?
For Saints games, Sunday Ticket is now available on Youtube ($365/year standalone) or YoutubeTv ($249/year + subscription to YoutubeTv). Includes Red Zone. YoutubeTv is a service not unlike Directv, but cheaper (just went up to $70+/mo), no contract, and obtained via streaming. I have it and I like it a lot, especially the near-limitless server based DVR where you can record anything they carry. No device needed, no worry about having space at home.

I don't know if the Pels have announced their streaming partner yet. I had heard some rumblings that they might use a local station to carry the games, but that was just in discussion. Maybe someone else has heard something more definitive?

For the Pels I use NBA League Pass ($15/mo). Not too expensive and, using a VPN, I can spoof my location to watch games where Pels come to Denver. That is the only blackout (but still carried as a replay 3 days later) that I have to worry about as my viewing area is here in Colorado. Not sure how the N.O. viewing area works for you, but you might have to spoof for Pels home games. That is easy to do. The other issues are games broadcast on TNT or ESPN as those are also blacked out. But YoutubeTv carries both (as does Directv) so I just watch them, or record them to view late. Also, League Pass has some extras and provides NBA TV.

Last edited:
For Saints games, Sunday Ticket is now available on Youtube ($365/year standalone) or YoutubeTv ($249/year + subscription to YoutubeTv). Includes Red Zone. YoutubeTv is a service not unlike Directv, but cheaper (just went up to $70+/mo), no contract, and obtained via streaming. I have it and I like it a lot, especially the near-limitless server based DVR where you can record anything they carry. No device needed, no worry about having space at home.

I don't know if the Pels have announced their streaming partner yet. I had heard some rumblings that they might use a local station to carry the games, but that was just in discussion. Maybe someone else has heard something more definitive?

For the Pels I use NBA League Pass ($15/mo). Not too expensive and, using a VPN, I can spoof my location to watch games where Pels come to Denver. That is the only blackout (but still carried as a replay 3 days later) that I have to worry about as my viewing area is here in Colorado. Not sure how the N.O. viewing area works for you, but you might have to spoof for Pels home games. That is easy to do. The other issues are games broadcast on TNT or ESPN as those are also blacked out. But YoutubeTv carries both (as does Directv) so I just watch them, or record them to view late. Also, League Pass has some extras and provides NBA TV.
Thanks for the info, Thunderchild. I just hope that whomever streams the Pels games keeps Joel Myers and Antonio Daniels doing play-by-play.
I bought League Pass last season and Pels games were blacked out (What a waste). So I purchased and watched them on Bally.

A friend of mine and I were talking about the Pels season and he was saying that losing Jose Alvarado was the nail in the coffin. I agreed but later went and looked up our results while he was injured and actually we were pretty good

Some things I noticed
1) our season got derailed by a 10 game losing streak starting in mid-January. This coincided with both Zion and BI being injured. BI came back at the end of January but it took a bit for him to get his legs back.
2) what surprised me (and the reason for this post) is that the Pels are a .600+ team when BI or Zion are out, but not both. We were 23-12 before Zion went out, then we had a stretch where we went 2-13 (the losing streak was during that). After that streak ended, we went 17-13 to finish out the season which is 57% despite Jose being out and CJ playing with an injured shooting hand.

This is why the team has been hesitant to make moves. We have a championship caliber roster. Only 6 teams in the league had a season record better than .600 and we can do that without either Ingram or Zion playing.

Whatever mistakes Griff made early on, he has put together a championship caliber roster and Willie Green has gotten it done as well as anybody could reasonably expect with the injuries he has dealt with.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Twitter

Back
    Top Bottom