Official Gameday Thread - Saints @ Patriots (1 Viewer)

He played him right this time. Payton sometimes brings in him in the wrong time esp when the offense is moving w/o him, this time it was red zone, he works better there.

The short field really works for him. Those were 2 or 3 great plays by him on the drive.

i wasnt hear when taysom got here, but was taysom giving all series plays when brees was here. I thought he would only get in the game as a change of pace qb power

There was a few times since TH has been here that he's gone in for more than a few plays at QB in one series. It takes a while for him to get going, but Payton has to use him correctly and he did that last drive. The others, not so much.

I hope they get their shirt together and I'm rooting for JW to succeed, but Brees masked a lot of this offense's deficiencies.
Thats one very key defining characteristic or trademark of a future HOF QB. He can make an average, barely passable offense or overall team, in general,.look decent, if not great in spurts. If we hadn't had Brees in 2012, and from 2014-16, we finish with double-digit losing seasons every one of those years.

The ironic thing is in considering most of those teams, the main, glaring problem were historically terrible defenses. If Brees' had had a middle-of-the-road defense from 2014-16, maybe we don't win too many playoff games or even make the postseason, but perhaps we finish 9-7, or God forbid 10-6.

Guys you have to keep in mind Jameis is learning how to play a different way. This ball control, take the checkdown, don't risk it style of play is new for him. He's going to get better with it in time. He is hesitant because he's more worried about making mistakes. He's thinking too much and not just playing ball.
Excellent point. People really need to go back and see how shaky Drew‘s first few starts under this offense (THAT WAS DESIGNED FOR HIM SPECIFICALLY) was. Jameis just needs to settle in. It will also help once he gets some more competent receivers to throw to. I believe he’ll be much better the next batch of games we play.

• 1Like
Reactions: MV2
Yep. And Sean isn’t giving him any easy underneath throws from what I can tell. Looks like whenever Jameis drops back it’s a long developing play. We need more quick slants and intermediate shots. Not everything needs to be an attempt to launch into the stratosphere.
That was the game plan last week. JW did not excel with that game plan. His accuracy is not that great on short plays. JW needs to work on his movement in pocket and process plays/opposing defense a bit quicker. Hell only throw well when he's giving all the time in the world to pass. He needs to adjust to buy himself/receivers more time. I think once he works on that our team will be dominant.

Unfortunately I’m stuck watching the Lions vs Ravens game or Washington vs Buffalo. The Lions game is actually good…sounds like our team has offensive issues….we are now a defensive team, weird. We seriously need some WR help and TE…someone who can get open. I watched that duck Winston threw up for a TD, that was scary. From the comments I’m not sure if our o-line is bad or not. It’s either one way or the other. I think the Lions have better offensive weapons than we do outside AK…
The WRs will come around. It’s the line play that has to get better.

i wasnt hear when taysom got here, but was taysom giving all series plays when brees was here. I thought he would only get in the game as a change of pace qb power
Nah, more and more he was given series plays. He gets more and more (contract).

I think Winston may not be comfortable throwing guys open with ball placement. I don't think that's going to be a strength of his. He probably need guys like Deonte who gets crazy separation with speed. I think it's safe to say that the days of relying on these undrafted receivers and journeyman receivers are over. The investment in the position needs to happen regardless of who is at QB. We've been all too spoiled by Brees greatness for years.
We need to draft a WR. Round 1 or 2.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom