Official LSU vs. Miss. St. (SEC football is here!) (1 Viewer)

In the first half the defense was holding up somewhat. They were terrible in the second half but i do contribute that to fatigue because the offense could not sustain a drive. The defense was completed gassed. I dont care how good you are you can't be on the field that much especially the first game of the year.

I watched the whole game and I really think the defense is getting too much blame. Many new starters, night before the game our true freshman CB Ricks finds out he is starting instead of our all-american. Even so if you watch the DBs were actually defending well, but Costello threw maybe 2-3 passes all day that were off target. Pelini is the kind of coach that says, “we’re gonna man up and blitz the qb and if he beats us, well ok, but we will force him to make mistakes.” That worked on exactly one play for the pick-6 and other than that he was leading his receivers on drags and back shoulder fades all day. Not much you can do about that if you’re not collapsing the pocket more, which we did okay actually. Like I said their QB was just dialed in. There were a handful of plays that the secondary had breakdowns and miscommunication. You can blame them for that. And the whiffed tackle on Hill’s 75-yarder, although Todd Harris had an injury that kept him out for like over a year. Might be rust. Stevens, Cox, Gaye, and Ricks made some outstanding plays. But Pelini got smoked and badly. I think the worst call was the zone blitz with Farrell “dropping back into coverage,” if you can call it that.

Brennan looked exactly like I thought he would to be honest, which wasn’t that bad. He is not as good as Burrow. He had some plays in the pocket where his feet barely moved, and when he did scramble he was pretty slow. But not terrible.

The O-line is the big concern because there isn’t a lot you can do about it at this point. That is where I would put the blame. O-line was really really bad and Pelini was stubborn and completely out-coached.

After last season, I am so chill about football that it doesn’t even really matter to me 😂

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom