*Official* LSU vs Vandy game thread (1 Viewer)

Gave up 31, as 7 were a gift due to a CEH fumble near the Tigers' goal line close to the end of the first half. But, still, that's too much given the offense they were facing.

Actually the D only gave up 24. You forget the pick 6 Brennan threw. Although 24 is still too many to give up to Vandy imo.

I'm still not clear why Alabama is ranked higher than LSU.

Alabama is ranked higher because their program has built so much equity with voters over the years that until someone in the SEC beats them, people assume they will win the SEC.

LSU has a bigger quality win, but voters are not bound by that. I really do not have a problem with it. If LSU and Bama played on a neutral field, Vegas would have Bama at least a three point favorite.

One could make the argument LSU has the better offense, crazy as that sounds. But LSUs defense is suddenly suspect. If they played in Tuscaloosa tomorrow, Bama might be a touchdown favorite.

Where they are ranked now is meaningless. The game they play will resolve that. If LSU starts winning the SEC every year, then they will get equity with voters.

I know each year is new and all that. But particularly early in the season, equity matters. I would rank Bama over LSU. If Vandy put up 24 points on LSU, how many will Bama? LSU isn’t scoring 50 on Bama. Last year Bama shut LSU out.

If both teams are undefeated when they meet, it will be the biggest college game of the year. I bet it doesn’t end up 9-6.

Actually the D only gave up 24. You forget the pick 6 Brennan threw. Although 24 is still too many to give up to Vandy imo.

It is, but even then, really, the defense gave up 14 of the 24 on the first drive of each half. They really need to come out with their head in the game. Once they settle in, they seem to do a good bit better. The offense was messy at times, and the end of the first half was just a silly sequence.

But, it's against Vandy. If they get their stuff together and play mistake free football, they'll beat anyone in the country not named Bama or Clemson.

If they played in Tuscaloosa tomorrow, Bama might be a touchdown favorite.

It would be more. Not counting this weekend, Bama would be a two touchdown favorite over LSU on a neutral field (according to Vegas). The only team in Bama's zip code (according to Vegas), is Clemson. The book makers are unbiased and usually pretty good. They did a segment on this on local radio this past week.

If the defense doesn't get fixed, it will take a miracle to beat Bama in Alabama. LSU finally has the offense to score some points, but the defense has to tighten up. Too many missed assignments and missed tackles. The injuries are a major concern as well.

The Tigers have a few tough games before they play Alabama. Let's hope the offense continues to shine & defensively they play Tiger ball.

Alabama is ranked higher because their program has built so much equity with voters over the years

LSU has a bigger quality win, but voters are not bound by that. I really do not have a problem with it. If LSU and Bama played on a neutral field, Vegas would have Bama at least a three point favorite.

I know each year is new and all that. But particularly early in the season, equity matters. I would rank Bama over LSU. If Vandy put up 24 points on LSU, how many will Bama? LSU isn’t scoring 50 on Bama. Last year Bama shut LSU out.
I think that’s about it. It’s based on their reputation more than what has been done this year. Same for clemson. And probably ohio...

This year, We have beaten better opponents, scored more points, have better stats etc... yet we sit at 4. That’s what IS.
Imo LSU should be ranked 2.

It’s not a huge deal and I’m certainly not sweating it. Just posted it here to raise awareness to the arbitrary element in these rankings.
I’m still puzzled that they rank teams pre season. That is part of the issue imo since it helps form impressions.

Last edited:
LSU will be faced with playing two Top 10 teams before we have to travel to Tuscaloosa to face Bama. It's not impossible that it will be billed as the battle of #2 versus #3 with either team carrying the #2 position. And incredibly, if either team loses in a close game they could still get a playoff invitation. But I'm trying not to look ahead to playing Bama until I see what we can do against Florida & Auburn. These will certainly be tough games as well, especially if our defense continues to struggle.

All the games leading up to our date with the Tide is going to be important. The next month is going to be crazy!

Chalk up another 7 to the Myles Brennan pick 6 in garbage time. But yeah, the defense is concerning, glad the bye is this week and hopefully some of the injured guys come back on D ready for Oct. 5th.
Missed that, as I had quit watching by then to mow the lawn. :bigsmile:

It would be more. Not counting this weekend, Bama would be a two touchdown favorite over LSU on a neutral field (according to Vegas). The only team in Bama's zip code (according to Vegas), is Clemson. The book makers are unbiased and usually pretty good. They did a segment on this on local radio this past week.

If the defense doesn't get fixed, it will take a miracle to beat Bama in Alabama. LSU finally has the offense to score some points, but the defense has to tighten up. Too many missed assignments and missed tackles. The injuries are a major concern as well.

The Tigers have a few tough games before they play Alabama. Let's hope the offense continues to shine & defensively they play Tiger ball.

This is a fair take. Alabama easily could be a double digit favorite over LSU if they played next week in Tuscaloosa. That’s why I have zero problem with Bama being ranked over LSU if your main criteria is who has the better team.

The defense is such a mystery. LSU fans never cared for Kevin Steele. Aranda came in as boy genius who took a bunch of 2 star and 3 star players in Wisconsin and made them a top ten defense. What might Aranda do with LSU type talent?

Now Steele looks great at Auburn and Aranda looks almost clueless. Against Vandy LSU had poor gap discipline, had busted assignments in the secondary, got pushed around at times and tackled poorly.

It looks almost impossible to fix, but I have seen turnarounds with teams before. LSU is missing some players, but all teams are. Bama has two first round NFL players on their defense out for the season.

It’s the lack of discipline that scares me the most. Vandy’s first big run came through a gaping hole. It looked like Patrick Queen missed his gap to me.

But heck, it’s football. This is an extremely entertaining LSU team to watch and it’s been a fun season so far. We have some really fun games coming up. Florida will entertain Auburn the week before Florida comes to LSU. That’s a big advantage for LSU catching Florida after such a physical game.

Discussing rankings in week 4 of the college season is a waste of time IMO....

I'm as excited as anyone about LSU's offense and new approach, and the fact that Burrow is on fire and the WR's are catching almost everything....

But right now, the way the defense is playing I feel Bama would beat LSU easily, by 2 scores or more. Hopefully we get Lawrence, Divinity, Logan and others back by the Florida game. I realize alot of young players are being forced into action and are not ready but the defense must improve for us to have a chance at the playoffs....

EFHm4j1XkAAYc1r

Very pleased to see that we're ranked Number 2 by USA Today.... THE leader in college football ranking

I'm still not clear why Alabama is ranked higher than LSU.
Because reporters who vote by box scores and history...

The ONLY poll that matters if the playoff committee poll. Since they're supposed to not consider previous seasons, I wouldn't be surprised if LSU was initially ranked higher than Bama if they keep winning by 30 points.

P

Bama's defense has looked almost as bad as LSU's, only Bama is still starting their entire D-Line. LSU still has a few weeks to clean up the missed tackles and get the starters healthy.

LSU/Bama could be one of those "last team with the ball, wins" games...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom