Official Saints Report Smokers Thread (Meat) (1 Viewer)

Neither of my two pellet smokers have apps on them. Part of the love of smoking is sitting outside and drinking a few drinks while visiting with the neighbors that always show up when I am smoking something. I do have wireless temperature probes that I use if the weather is not cooperating to sit outside.
I enjoy the process more than the food these days. I will eat a little BBQ here and there but typically the family eats some and I give the rest to my neighbors. I have 4 smokers....3 charcoal and 1 propane that I basically use to hold food warm. I do several big cooks through the summer where I feed different parties people have. One of my favorite things is to cook for people that's never had my BBQ....especially brisket. It's gotten much more popular up here now but when I first started very few people had ever had smoked brisket. I enjoy giving them that experience.

I love this as well. A friend got me into it a few years ago. I have a Lone Star Grillz 20" offset coming in soon and can't wait! Agree 100% that the process is as enjoyable or more than the food itself.

I spent years charcoal grilling and cast iron cooking and love the experience. These days our schedules are so full I just don’t have the time. So for me, the Traeger is great. Good food and the little time we have is with family.
That being said, I don’t have a lot of experience with legit real smokers so I really can’t compare the two so if any of you guys are cooking, hit me up ?

I began marinating around 4 LBS of bottom round yesterday and making jerky for the second time tmrw...it turned out rather amazing on my initial run, so stuck pretty close to this recipe again:

Wondering what y'all favorite rubs are. I used BBQ Bros. the last time and it was good. Just looking for opinions from the pros.

Wondering what y'all favorite rubs are. I used BBQ Bros. the last time and it was good. Just looking for opinions from the pros.
I've made dozens over the years and tried all sorts of brands and I have come to the conclusion that salt and pepper with maybe some garlic powder and chili powder of some sort is all I need. Sometimes just the salt and pepper.

Did some dinosaur plate ribs earlier this week on the egg.

20200414_193833.jpg20200414_195806.jpg

I've made dozens over the years and tried all sorts of brands and I have come to the conclusion that salt and pepper with maybe some garlic powder and chili powder of some sort is all I need. Sometimes just the salt and pepper.

I bet that crumb at the bottom of the plate was awesome along with everything else.

That’s generally mine but I add just a bit of cumin.

8.5 lbs pork butt
12 hour brine soak
Hickory, onion, garlic, dark brown sugar and white sugar rub. Mustard base
250⁰ smoke for 11 hours
300⁰ smoke wrapped in foil
Pulled at internal of 203⁰
Wrapped in blanket for 1 hour
20200503_135731.jpg
20200503_171622.jpg
20200503_171934.jpg
Looks great. It's crazy how you can't taste the mustard in the end. It works great to hold the rub though.I'm afraid to use sugar in a rub because I'll burn it. I know that people do it all of the time without issue but I goofed it once.

I've never brined a pork butt. Now you're making me want to brine a pork butt.

I broke in the new Weber yesterday with a healthy burn for a couple hours in anticipation of today. I'm still waiting for my hinge and the nomex gasket to arrive from Amazon.

I currently have some wings in marinade for cooking tomorrow. This evening I threw on some country style pork ribs and assorted sausages for a quick smoke. It's been many months since my last smoke, so gotta work my way back into the groove and do a pork butt and eventually a brisket soon.

Looks great. It's crazy how you can't taste the mustard in the end. It works great to hold the rub though.I'm afraid to use sugar in a rub because I'll burn it. I know that people do it all of the time without issue but I goofed it once.

I've never brined a pork butt. Now you're making me want to brine a pork butt.
Brine
20200502_123646.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom