Official Saints Report Smokers Thread (Meat) (3 Viewers)

I was coming to talk about cigars!!

do you prefer wood chips or logs?

Feel free to resurrect the Cigar thread if you wish ;) :

No after pic, and we slipped all the way to page 3? Where you at @Beast

I have a 16lb brisket on that i started at 1 today to be ready in the morning but it's already at 190. Guess the fire temp got up in the 280s when we were gone for a few hours. Trying to serve around 2pm tomorrow.

Trying not to Texas crutch it for too long but might have to. Decisions. I might just pull it, wrap it and put it in the oven for 12 hours at 195 or so then back on the smoker tomorrow for the last bit.

Only reason I'm up. Have a tee time with Swimmer and coach Pete tomorrow at 8. :cheer:

• 1Like
Reactions: dtc

I have a 16lb brisket on that i started at 1 today to be ready in the morning but it's already at 190. Guess the fire temp got up in the 280s when we were gone for a few hours. Trying to serve around 2pm tomorrow.

Trying not to Texas crutch it for too long but might have to. Decisions. I might just pull it, wrap it and put it in the oven for 12 hours at 195 or so then back on the smoker tomorrow for the last bit.

Wrap it in foil and towels and put it in a cooler. It will stay serving temp for 6 hours in a yeti style cooler. If you do that, let it cool to 170 or so before wrapping or it will continue to cook.

Wrap it in foil and towels and put it in a cooler. It will stay serving temp for 6 hours in a yeti style cooler. If you do that, let it cool to 170 or so before wrapping or it will continue to cook.

Yeah, that's my usual. I shoot for at least 2 hours. actually I think my top 1 brisket was finished way too early for a party we had and I put it in my knockoff yeti for 6 hours. Was expecting it to have mushy bark but it was great. You think it'll hold for 12 though? Seems like a long shot. I'm thinking of foiling and oven now and asking the wife to throw it in the cooler tomorrow a few hours before.

From reading this thread, I believe everyone will agree that Pellet Grills are easier to use, but stick grills offer the best taste.

I am new to BBQ and I have my eyes on a Oklahoma DLX grill.

For those who are familiar with Pellet grills, is this a good one to purchase? Also, what is the gap on taste between meat smoked on a Pellet Grill vs a Stick Grill?
Good bbq is good bbq......your rub and sauce will determine your flavor more than your grill. My buddy uses a traeger and while he would agree the flavor off my stick burner is better he gets no complaints from his when people eat his bbq. Oklahoma Joe makes pretty good smokers....I have a charbroiler side box, chargriller sidebox, and an Oklahoma Joe bandera. The Oklahoma is easily my favorite. It's a much heavier grill and being a vertical sidebox it's pretty darn efficient. I love it. I had to add gaskets but I do that to all of my smokers.

Yeah, that's my usual. I shoot for at least 2 hours. actually I think my top 1 brisket was finished way too early for a party we had and I put it in my knockoff yeti for 6 hours. Was expecting it to have mushy bark but it was great. You think it'll hold for 12 though? Seems like a long shot. I'm thinking of foiling and oven now and asking the wife to throw it in the cooler tomorrow a few hours before.

12 seems long. I've done 6 and it was Ok, but I wouldn't go much further than that. Your oven plan is sound. I'd set for 150 or 175 if possible.

Def has enough smoke laid down. I think i can turn it into a nice scrappy little 16 pounder. Oven at 175. We have a couple house showings in the morning. Whole place gonna smell like meat. It'll be like the Texas version of baking cookies for people touring your place.

Only reason I'm up. Have a tee time with Swimmer and coach Pete tomorrow at 8. :cheer:

I didn't even know there was an "official" smoker thread..

I haven't smoked anything lately, unfortunately. Been watching the diet a bit, and all my favorite smoked foods are fatty. :(

Maybe I'll get something going this week.

I got the Franklin BBQ book for Father's Day and made some pork ribs. Per Franklin I did not use any sugar in the rub, which is the first time I've left it out. Added a bunch of cayenne pepper and it came out with some nice heat in the bark.

Attachments

• 20200621_181624.jpg
    20200621_181624.jpg
    695.3 KB · Views: 13
Nice, Sparkle! What's Franklin's ribs method? I usually do 3-2-1 (3 on smoker, 2 in oven, 1 on smoker) and they turn out fairly well, but I'm not as confident in my ribs as I am my brisket or pulled pork.

My bizarro brisket turned out really well. I wrapped it at 2 or 3am or whenever that was yesterday morning and held it in the oven at 175 for 12 hours until I got back from golf. Bark was still good and it was delicious and juicy. I forgot to take a pic because I was hungry, but I think my wife did.

Nice, Sparkle! What's Franklin's ribs method? I usually do 3-2-1 (3 on smoker, 2 in oven, 1 on smoker) and they turn out fairly well, but I'm not as confident in my ribs as I am my brisket or pulled pork.

My bizarro brisket turned out really well. I wrapped it at 2 or 3am or whenever that was yesterday morning and held it in the oven at 175 for 12 hours until I got back from golf. Bark was still good and it was delicious and juicy. I forgot to take a pic because I was hungry, but I think my wife did.

I tend to do ribs 5 - 6 hours straight through, no wrap or foil. But I have done them with 3-2-1 where it's 3 on smoker, 2 in foil sprayed with ACV, and then 1 unfoiled with BBQ sauce.

He's pretty much on the 3-2-1 method, though I did not study the cooking process as much as his rub recipe. I will need to go back and read a little more in depth - it has a ton of info.

My kids prefer dry ribs and adding their own sauce so I am more like a 2 and 2 instead of 3-2-1. I skip the last hour of unwrapped 'saucing'. After 4 hours (wrapped for the last 2) the ribs were around 195 so I pulled them off. Was a little worried about the bark getting mushy without that last unwrapped hour but they turned out pretty well.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom