Official Saints Report Smokers Thread (Meat) (2 Viewers)

Pic is leftovers today for lunch, and got lazy and nuked in the microwave, so not quite the "fresh off the smoker" pic, but you gotta deliver the after pic always even if it's not perfect.

20200622-111600-1.jpg
[

Two smokes in a row that I haven't gotten much smoke ring. Not sure why, not doing anything different from my usual. No impact on taste or moisture or pull-test though. Turned out delicious!

BTW - if you don't think the piece pictured on the bottom right is the best slice of the entire brisket, you're basically a communist.

I think that the smoker that you're using determines the method. I have a ceramic smoker and I don't lift the lid until I hit my temp. Everything stays juicy. I've done the 321 method with stick burners with success. It even works on a weber grill.

I haven't done a brisket in years. Last month I found two choice flats, at my local grocery store, for $12lb. No thanks.

$12lb. No thanks.

That's crazy talk.

I usually get prime untrimmed at Costco for $2.80-$3.00/lb. They're $4/lb right now due to the meat shortages we're seeing, which was more than I usually like to pay.

The pictured brisket was $70 or so for 16lbs. That's expensive, but not when you consider that two pounds of Franklin brisket costs the same at the restaurant.

I got the dehydrator out to make some jerky which I smoked for about an hour before dehydrating it.

Then, at the advice of something I read on line, I bought about 20 heads of garlic and put them in the food processor and then in the dehydrator over night. Pulsed in the food processor again this morning and OMG the best garlic powder ever. So strong.

I also did it with an onion, which also worked well, but a single onion is so much water that it doesn't make much powder. I'll have to do another 4-5 onions to have a decent amount.

That's crazy talk.

I usually get prime untrimmed at Costco for $2.80-$3.00/lb. They're $4/lb right now due to the meat shortages we're seeing, which was more than I usually like to pay.

The pictured brisket was $70 or so for 16lbs. That's expensive, but not when you consider that two pounds of Franklin brisket costs the same at the restaurant.
Brisket up here in CT is way too expensive for me to even think about experimenting smoking one. Unfortunately I moved away from Austin before Aaron Franklin started his thing. When I was working in San Marcos, my office would manage to get to Luling TX a few times a year for City Market, which I loved.

Pretty sure brisket is around $12/lb here, so I have to live vicariously through others for my brisket fix...

I got the dehydrator out to make some jerky which I smoked for about an hour before dehydrating it.

Then, at the advice of something I read on line, I bought about 20 heads of garlic and put them in the food processor and then in the dehydrator over night. Pulsed in the food processor again this morning and OMG the best garlic powder ever. So strong.

I also did it with an onion, which also worked well, but a single onion is so much water that it doesn't make much powder. I'll have to do another 4-5 onions to have a decent amount.
The garlic sounds awesome! What kind of dehydrator do you have?

Brisket up here in CT is way too expensive for me to even think about experimenting smoking one. Unfortunately I moved away from Austin before Aaron Franklin started his thing. When I was working in San Marcos, my office would manage to get to Luling TX a few times a year for City Market, which I loved.

Pretty sure brisket is around $12/lb here, so I have to live vicariously through others for my brisket fix...

That's insane. If any of you guys who live up in BBQ wasteland want me to overnight you one from here some time shoot me a PM. Would still be massively cheaper than buying one up there.

Brisket prices are out of hand right now. I have a 10# tip that I'm doing this week for the 4th. I'll smoke it, vacuum seal it, and throw it in the freezer. Did that last year and it came out fantastic.

I did see a new record brisket price. Last record was $72. It wasn't that long ago I'd buy a case for this much.IMG_20200609_134818.jpg

Another thing to consider.....I weighed out what I trimmed off a brisket one time prepping it. I cut off 3 pounds of fat and trimmings....in this case at $5.99/lb that's throwing $18 of that brisket in the trash.

He's pretty much on the 3-2-1 method, though I did not study the cooking process as much as his rub recipe. I will need to go back and read a little more in depth - it has a ton of info.

My kids prefer dry ribs and adding their own sauce so I am more like a 2 and 2 instead of 3-2-1. I skip the last hour of unwrapped 'saucing'. After 4 hours (wrapped for the last 2) the ribs were around 195 so I pulled them off. Was a little worried about the bark getting mushy without that last unwrapped hour but they turned out pretty well.

Not having sugar in the rub would seem to lessen the bark to begin with? Or did it not?

I tend to do ribs 5 - 6 hours straight through, no wrap or foil. But I have done them with 3-2-1 where it's 3 on smoker, 2 in foil sprayed with ACV, and then 1 unfoiled with BBQ sauce.
3-2-1 is the way I have always cooked them. Since the results have been so good, I don't dare change anything. I use mustard (yellow or brown) and then a spicy, savory rub and either just apple juice or ACV for the middle phase. Sometimes I sauce, sometimes I don't for the last hour but I always give it that last hour uncovered.

Smoked three racks of spare ribs and a couple pounds of pork belly burnt ends yesterday. I pulled four bones clean out of the first rack when someone asked me how tender they were.

IMG_20200621_195610_01.jpg

The garlic sounds awesome! What kind of dehydrator do you have?

I have an LEM. It's a bit bigger than what I need, but I guess if I want to do a lot of something, I can. I had 3 shelves of garlic and one shelf of onion. All of that garlic reduced down to one large shaker size.

Oh, and when you take the top off the food processor when you are making the powder, you can pretty much gas the whole kitchen. I ended up packaging it under the stove hood.

I have an LEM. It's a bit bigger than what I need, but I guess if I want to do a lot of something, I can. I had 3 shelves of garlic and one shelf of onion. All of that garlic reduced down to one large shaker size.

Oh, and when you take the top off the food processor when you are making the powder, you can pretty much gas the whole kitchen. I ended up packaging it under the stove hood.
I like the whole idea of the garlic, do you know what the shelf life would be?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom