Official Saints Report Smokers Thread (Meat) (1 Viewer)

I marked this as 'mad' only b/c I'm being a hater. Smoke on!
Haha....oh I get it. My buddy just got a sous vide and has short ribs going. I've wanted one for years and I don't buy much stuff for myself so I've been hoping for a bday or Xmas I get one at some point. Hasn't happened yet. I was a little salty when he was telling me about how he's doing those short ribs though haha

Do you have an option to buy only the point?
It is the one and only time I've ever seen just a point for sale. Got it at Sam's club a couple months ago and threw it in the freezer. It's a 10# point......wish I could find those all the time. It's all I would cook.

Another thing to consider.....I weighed out what I trimmed off a brisket one time prepping it. I cut off 3 pounds of fat and trimmings....in this case at $5.99/lb that's throwing $18 of that brisket in the trash.
Grind it up and make hamburgers

Sam's has packer brisket prime for $2.98 per pound right now.

I might be making a run to Sam's soon then.. My best brisket ever was a prime from there. Somehow the vacuum sealed pack had broken, so they cut it in half. I got the half with part of the flat and all of the point... 🤤

Grind it up and make hamburgers

That's a good idea. I need to get a grinder. I always end up with random pieces of beef that I cut off from briskets and never know what to do with them. Sometimes I'll do burnt ends, but that requires firing up the smoker and all that and at that point I'd rather just do another brisket.

That's a good idea. I need to get a grinder. I always end up with random pieces of beef that I cut off from briskets and never know what to do with them. Sometimes I'll do burnt ends, but that requires firing up the smoker and all that and at that point I'd rather just do another brisket.

I love my grinder, but pulling it out and ultimately cleaning it is more trouble than firing up the smoker.

Haha....oh I get it. My buddy just got a sous vide and has short ribs going. I've wanted one for years and I don't buy much stuff for myself so I've been hoping for a bday or Xmas I get one at some point. Hasn't happened yet. I was a little salty when he was telling me about how he's doing those short ribs though haha

I've been doing it for years - so long that my first was an actual Haake immersion circulator purchased from a lab that had a freaking dial!

Anyway, you won't be disappointed. THey're all cheap as hell and super reliable now. The annovo is as good as my 1200 Polyscience or whatever brand it was and even Allclad makes a pretty stainless one.

The key though is to break down and actually buy yourself a chamber vacuum machine instead of the fish pump style. Trust me.

Oh, and 48 hours is the right amount of time for short ribs.

I have the grinding attachment for my kitchenaid mixer. There's always that thin, flap of beef that has to be cut off because it'll be destroyed before the rest of the brisket is ready.

I went to Costco today. Prime packers were $4.29 and choice flats were $4.99.

My buddy just bought 4 packer briskets for $90. I placed my order. I did a brisket point, butt, and 2 racks of baby backs yesterday. Everything came out great. Vacuum sealed and froze the butt and brisket and the ribs went to my neighbor.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom