Official SaintsReport knife part 2 - a new option. Thoughts? (1 Viewer)

Are you interested in a higher priced custom knife as the official SR.com knife?

• Total voters

kooldak

Retired
Administrator
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks to everyone who is continuing to show an interest. :)

One possibility that we are looking at, given that we might not have the numbers to do business directly with Buck is to work with a custom knife maker to build us a knife in limited numbers.

The downside to this approach is that we are talking considerably more cost. I am guessing in the $150 - $200 range although I do not yet have a projected cost. All the work is done by hand. He would also have to provide these knives first-come first-served so those who order first would get theirs first. He is a one man operation and would be creating these knifes one-at-a-time. Probably a deposit to get your spot in line, remainder due when he gets ready to do your copy.

And, in this case, we could probably get "1 of xxx" done along with the rest of the etching on the blade.

The upside is that these knives would be truly unique and unlike anything else out there.

If we go this route, you will be doing business directly with him and he would donate a per-knife fee to SR. If we stick with Buck you would be doing business with me (cost + shipping + $5 per knife) and hence with SR.com.

Here is a prototype of a Buck 110 that he and I have discussed (currently for sale on ebay). The scales are Black Jett reconstituted stone with gold veining.It has a perfectly inset Fleur De Lis that is genuine gold lip mother of pearl.The backspring is fileworked (even inside) as is the blade spine. The bolsters to look like gold nuggett.

This is the same guy who did the custom knife that I posted earlier in this thread. He does great work.

$(KGrHqR,!o4FHFC(ZbB5BRz)W0Q25w~~60_12.JPG

More pics here:

prototype fleur-de-lis knife

There still exists a possibility that we could get enough folks on board to do something directly with Buck and be able to keep more people involved.

So, what are your thoughts?

Whats with these knife threads

I think that they are self-explanatory. :)

But...this site doesn't run for free. It costs quite a lot to keep a site this size running. We are trying to kill two birds with one stone by offering a SR.com official knife to interested people (of which there are quite a few) with a small sum from the sale going to the site for operating costs.

If you have no interest, feel free to bypass the threads. There is nothing obligatory here.

I would rather have an affordable knife that would actually be used. If it costs too much, it would sit in a box (or collect dust) and I would forget about it. I'll probably wind up buying 4 if they're the folding cheaper version. I'm not ready to give my kids expensive/sheath knives... :no: :D

Why dont you create something cheaper that more ppl can afford than trying to get a handfull of ppl to pay for the maintenance of the site?

Why dont you create something cheaper that more ppl can afford than trying to get a handfull of ppl to pay for the maintenance of the site?

That is why I am looking for feedback in this thread. Note the use of the words "option" & "possibility".

Initially, I was looking for enough people to do a direct deal with Buck, but we need numbers to make that happen. As I mentioned in that thread, we need 250 people. At this point it looks like there are not enough people to make that work. I am hoping that will change by the time the season rolls around, but meanwhile I am also looking at alternatives and trying to see how folks will react to other possibilities.

If a higher priced option isn't something that people are interested in, then that is precisely what I need to hear in this thread. Sharon's post, or the opposite POV, is exactly the kind of thing that I am soliciting in this thread.

That is why I am looking for feedback in this thread. Note the use of the words "option" & "possibility".

Initially, I was looking for enough people to do a direct deal with Buck, but we need numbers to get the cost down. As I mentioned in that thread, we need 250 people. At this point it looks like there are not enough people to make that work. I am hoping that will change by the time the season rolls around, but meanwhile I am also looking at alternatives and trying to see how folks will react to other possibilities.

If a higher priced option isn't something that people are interested in, then that is precisely what I need to hear in this thread. Sharon's post, or the opposite POV, is exactly the kind of thing that I am soliciting in this thread.
Ok, I honestly dont think a knife is the way to go. I dont carry knives, though I used to and the buck knife pictured was somnething I carried but found it too big for the pocket. I also carried swiss amry knives and then got away from carying much in my pockets at all.

Anyway, maybe some type of incentive to subscribing to the site? For instance since its grown much bigger, a subscriber would be entitled to much more incentives than is listed. Say, EE board, BTL, and such would be more toward subscribers? Or subscribe price is $100 a yr or $15 a month. Set a standard rate. Though not sure how its rated as its geared toward donations now. Perhaps a subscrber would get much more entitlement to the site and maybe a gift? Like a large fleur de lis sticker or a T-shirt or something Saints re-lated thats fairly inexpensive? I dont know? I'd think that'd be the route to go IMO. Obviously your doing a service to ppl by having the site open. Unfortunately you have 2 options. You gear it towards having it as a pay site or offer soem sort of major incentive into subscribing. The amount of ppl using this site daily, Id imagine if each one gave $20 you wouldnt be trying to get maintenance paid off. But there's alway ppl who want everything for free...

I am not looking for something to put in a case or drawer. I want something I can carry and use and that would impress my Saint's fan buddies. If the cheaper version were to be chosen, I would buy at least two, maybe more. I would not mind adding a couple of dollars per knife to go to SR.

Ok, I honestly dont think a knife is the way to go. I dont carry knives, though I used to and the buck knife pictured was somnething I carried but found it too big for the pocket. I also carried swiss amry knives and then got away from carying much in my pockets at all.

Anyway, maybe some type of incentive to subscribing to the site? For instance since its grown much bigger, a subscriber would be entitled to much more incentives than is listed. Say, EE board, BTL, and such would be more toward subscribers? Or subscribe price is $100 a yr or $15 a month. Set a standard rate. Though not sure how its rated as its geared toward donations now. Perhaps a subscrber would get much more entitlement to the site and maybe a gift? Like a large fleur de lis sticker or a T-shirt or something Saints re-lated thats fairly inexpensive? I dont know? I'd think that'd be the route to go IMO. Obviously your doing a service to ppl by having the site open. Unfortunately you have 2 options. You gear it towards having it as a pay site or offer soem sort of major incentive into subscribing. The amount of ppl using this site daily, Id imagine if each one gave $20 you wouldnt be trying to get maintenance paid off. But there's alway ppl who want everything for free...

I understand your point. But this does not negatively impact any other effort.

Andrus handles most of the fundraising activities and he may do other things in addition to this. To this point, he has chosen not to make this a pay site, but to raise funds voluntarily. Your suggestions would be best sent to him. But this is my simple effort to help out, in addition to anything he may choose to do.

My intent is to try to get something into the hands of those interested in a knife and make a few dollars for the site as well. If you look through the original thread, there are a lot of people interested in the initial concept. Enough to convince me to continue to pursue this effort. The site will benefit and a few people who enjoy knives will get something special. :)

Maybe you could look into doing this as a kickstarter project or something similar?

People could pledge for the lower cost knife, or pledge for the more expensive knife <-- if there aren't quantity limits/minimums

Maybe you could look into doing this as a kickstarter project or something similar?

People could pledge for the lower cost knife, or pledge for the more expensive knife <-- if there aren't quantity limits/minimums

That is an interesting thought. No limits on the expensive knife, just whatever limit we might chose to place on it. 1 of 100, 1 of 125, that kind of thing.

I've pledged on a couple of kickstarter projects, but not all that familiar with how it works on the other side of the financials. Certainly worth looking into. I really ought to understand both sides of kickstarter anyway... :)

I am interested in both, but would prefer the cheaper version so I could buy two and give one to the kid. I am not spending $200 on a knife for him when I could spend $200 on a ticket to the Atlanta opener. He has plenty of knives now, but he does not have any tickets.

I would be more inclined to have a knife that I could use, but I think the kickstarter idea is a good one. For those that want the "nicer" custom made knife, they could pledge a higher amount and vice versa.

Is Buck the only company that could do a custom knife like this? I already have a Buck knife and quite frankly could not justify dropping $200 on another one (although it does look cool).

I think more people would be interested if it were in the $50 range. Doesn't have to be a particularly awesome knife either IMO, just more of a memento.

Just a thought. That is a nice knife.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom