Official "suicide swing" pass play thread (1 Viewer)

Well here he averages 5.7 yards per catch...he's not going to the pro bowl doing that...

Just for the heck of it I thought up another back that had a horrible year...first thought was Lamont Jordan....8.8 yards per catch.

You don't think it's weird that we have the best receiving back in the league averaging less yards per catch than a guy who lost his job.

You try it..pick a site and type up random running backs to see their receiving stats...bush has all the receptions but no production...and i've said why a million times above. It started as a joke with the "suicide swing" but now i'm concerned that nobody realizes we're wasting talent with the over use of this play. I'm not saying throw it out the playbook...but it is the most often utilization of Reggie Bush. My question to you is simple...do you think this is the best way to utilize Reggie Bush???

You cannot argue that it's not the most commonly Reggie Bush called play.

Well here he averages 5.7 yards per catch...he's not going to the pro bowl doing that...

Just for the heck of it I thought up another back that had a horrible year...first thought was Lamont Jordan....8.8 yards per catch.

You don't think it's weird that we have the best receiving back in the league averaging less yards per catch than a guy who lost his job.

You try it..pick a site and type up random running backs to see their receiving stats...bush has all the receptions but no production...and i've said why a million times above. It started as a joke with the "suicide swing" but now i'm concerned that nobody realizes we're wasting talent with the over use of this play. I'm not saying throw it out the playbook...but it is the most often utilization of Reggie Bush. My question to you is simple...do you think this is the best way to utilize Reggie Bush???

You cannot argue that it's not the most commonly Reggie Bush called play.

If it gets us first downs and TD's then yeah I think it is the best way to utilize him. He was leading the league in first downs for a player up until the Texans game where the injury really started to get to him. Things don't always have to be flashy in football.

Please do not talk down to me like I don't know what our "intentions" are with this play.

You don't find it a little dumb that Reggie Bush's primary role in this offense is to "stretch the defense" for what you call 3-5 yards. However I would say more like 4 yards once you factor in the no gains. Not to mention the incompletions when it's covered up.

You can "stretch the defense" with your full back, your TE, or your slot receiver...you don't have to use the most talented player on the field...unless of course the play is working for big yardage.

So...go stretch defenses elsewhere with 50 million dollar players. No matter how much we differ on how many times he gets "HIT" you can't argue that he does take his worst hits when he's vulnerable on these swing outs. Also, there are different versions of swing outs, deep swings, shallow swings, 3 step swings, 5 step swings, full back swings, slot swings, delayed swing outs...etc. etc. etc.

By your admition we have a #2 overall face of the franchise 50 million dollar halfback who's primary role is to stretch the defense for a "3-5" yard gain and take un necessary punishment while doing so.....BRAVO !!!!

If you don't want to me talked down to then you shouldn't say thing that show you don't understand the game.

I really can't say or correct you anymore then the other posters already have but to try to rally everyone to call the play some silly name when it is an important device that makes other parts of the offense more effective. When the CB's and LB's are runnign to Bush on the swing, other weapons are freed up. You're also trying with no facts trying to say that the play on gets 3 yards but mostly gets -3 yards, Nonsence!!! not to mention, 3 yards in the NFL is not that bad a thing, especially when it opens up other things.

I guess a three yard run up the gut is a stupid play to you as well???? What about how that play wears down a defense and opens up playaction??

The screen play wasn't our biggest play. Bush ran the wheel route and it led to TD.

The wheel is a great play -- remember that 70 yard wheel route touchdown to Reggie against the Rams? Oh yeah, that was just me last night on Madden -- you shoulda been there.....

Seriously, I really don't understand why they can't get Reggie down the middle of the field away from the line of scrimmage more. Maybe he's just not good at reading coverages but he seems like a pretty smart guy.

If you don't want to me talked down to then you shouldn't say thing that show you don't understand the game.

I really can't say or correct you anymore then the other posters already have but to try to rally everyone to call the play some silly name when it is an important device that makes other parts of the offense more effective. When the CB's and LB's are runnign to Bush on the swing, other weapons are freed up. You're also trying with no facts trying to say that the play on gets 3 yards but mostly gets -3 yards, Nonsence!!! not to mention, 3 yards in the NFL is not that bad a thing, especially when it opens up other things.

I guess a three yard run up the gut is a stupid play to you as well???? What about how that play wears down a defense and opens up playaction??

He said that it doesn't open up other things for Reggie. The fact that Reggie finished with 4.34 yards per touch (998/230) is disheartening enough, especially considering that an extremely paltry 5.7 yards per catch average inflates that number.

The swing pass is a very wide play -- wider than any run that wears down a defense and/or opens up play action -- and is not nearly fundamentally the same as a three-yard run up the middle (which, over time, will open up the play action).

Funny how this is called an extension of the run yet people want to tout Brees' completions record. 16.5% of his completions accounted for 9.4% of his yards. We need some passes that travel up the field instead of across the field. Reggie's east-west running is always bagged on (and rightfully so), but throwing the ball east-west is okay? I make a funny face at that notion.

I've not been a huge fan of it. Sending Reggie on deeper wheel routes and flea flickers is a better use in my mind. The Dallas TD was a swing pass but Bush had blockers out in front of him. Too often Bush receives the ball in a standing position because he can't be lead into the play as the defender may make a break on the ball or lay a hard hit and with no blockers in front. Therefore the best outcome is a minimal gain. In Payton's 1st year we used the play well as a fake. The defense all goes one way towards Bush on the swing with the offensive lineman selling it by pulling that way and a guy like Stecker or Karney is waiting on the other side of the field completely open for a 1st down. I don't know why we didn't run that play last year?

^^ A swing pass with blockers in front is called a screen by the way.

I wouldn't consider it a bad play, I'd just perfer we send Bush upfield more often. The NFL is filled with LBs with the sideline to sideline speed to meet Reggie 3-5 yards which is usually what he gets. But, if Reg would start already 5 yards above the LOS and more when he first touches the ball, then we'd see far more big plays out of our USC burner.

I hope Payton works in more plays where Reggie lines up at WR and runs an actual intermediate to deep route. He's got 4.3 speed, I'd love to see us use him like other players with that kinda speed. Devin Hester runs terrible routes, but the Bears still send him deep a couple times a game...

no you can't... very few (anybody?) FBs or TEs or slot receivers can turn a swing pass into an 80 yd. TD, or even a 12 yd. gain... when bush touches the ball on plays like that he's a threat on every play, just as he was in '06

Watch Mike Karney in the Dallas game last year.

whoa... danchrism.. so you're basically dissing the WEST COAST OFFENSE. btw is the offense the saints have chosen for several years and coaching regimes. as it WORKS proven by how many teams go to it.. since it's inception by Walsh.
That spreading it latterally instead of only vertical is the basis of the offense, giving less to defend the vertical.

Watch Mike Karney in the Dallas game last year.

A PA rollout that clears the flat and a FB taking a pass 12 yards is not even close to what Bush does on that quick swing passes.

I want to make it official. The dumbest utilization in our playbook is the swing pass to Reggie Bush. I'm asking that we coin the play The Suicide Swing.

You may refer to it as just another "running play" as most commentators did during the season. IMO it's the dumbest thing we can do, it usually nets about 3 yards, but sometimes is -3 yards. What it does accomplish most consistently is a high floating pass (Brees attempt to get the ball over the DE who KNOWS this play inside and out) which Reggie Bush has to stop and wait on while a linebacker or safety is drooling to jar his brain loose (You may remember the Sheldon Brown hit).

Pump fake that swing that the defenses love so much and let Reggie turn that into a wheel route.

I'm not saying we shouldn't run it ever, but this might be the most common play in our playbook. If Reggie Bush was drafted #2 overall and paid 50 million dollars I think we can be a little more careful and much more creative with him.

Sorry if this thread is a waste of time, but I had to vent.....again.

You were saying? :hihi:

The play is fine and has potential to get our best player the ball in space. What you don't want is Drew to throw that ball when the opposing defense is in Cover 2. This is a good play in man defense, especially with 2 WRs w/both on the same side of the field.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom