Official "suicide swing" pass play thread (1 Viewer)

You were saying? :hihi:

Once it got him railroaded. I'm not even sure what the play was where Reggie improvised his way upfield, because it was a broken play from the start (Stinchcomb massively failed his assignment on that play).

whoa... danchrism.. so you're basically dissing the WEST COAST OFFENSE. btw is the offense the saints have chosen for several years and coaching regimes. as it WORKS proven by how many teams go to it.. since it's inception by Walsh.
That spreading it latterally instead of only vertical is the basis of the offense, giving less to defend the vertical.

Didn't see this when it was posted, but no I'm not dissing the WCO. I'm dissing the at times blatant overuse of a play that doesn't do much for the team. If we swing the ball to Reggie on 3rd-and-8 and he gains 4 yards, that's the end of the drive... 'tis all I'm saying.

Once it got him railroaded. I'm not even sure what the play was where Reggie improvised his way upfield, because it was a broken play from the start (Stinchcomb massively failed his assignment on that play).

Didn't see this when it was posted, but no I'm not dissing the WCO. I'm dissing the at times blatant overuse of a play that doesn't do much for the team. If we swing the ball to Reggie on 3rd-and-8 and he gains 4 yards, that's the end of the drive... 'tis all I'm saying.

I think it was just a bad play-call vs a cover 2. 9 times out of 10 when you run that play against the Bucs, there will be a corner right there to hit Reggie.

We got lucky on the game-winner.

This play is definitely more effective against non cover 2 teams.

I think it was just a bad play-call vs a cover 2. 9 times out of 10 when you run that play against the Bucs, there will be a corner right there to hit Reggie.

Agreed on all counts. I've posted elsewhere that the swing pass is awful against the cover-2 since CBs don't run with the WRs past 5-8 yards.

thing is...if we run it..it makes defenders bite on it and lets us air it out

maybe, brophy, or tcudan, or spam someone help me out here.. but my understanding of the typical "tampa" 2, yes, you have a corner close on the edges.. but a RB, should be able to run through a DB 7 out of 10 times. or more. it's when you get a team that has a good implementation of it with the SPEEDY LB's and safeties that it's a problem.. tampa is one, colts is another (when bob sanders plays)
and as mentioned.. by ndcc. the play would be much more effective, if brees put some zip.. not lazer it like vick, but put some zip to it, so he can get the ball and turn up field before the Defense can react to it.

Today, Reggie got lit up on a swing pass. Today, Reggie LIT UP the Bucs for a TD on a swing pass.

I agree this would be awesome. It worked in the 06 NFCCG and the Bears had a great D. An up the middle running attack makes this play even more likely to work.

I dont think the Bears had a great D in 06 (least not the best D like most people think or one we are let to believe), I think what happened in the NFCCG was a damn circus where most of the Bears defense just happened to be in the right place at the right time by accident, if you seen some of those plays on both sides of the ball you are like ***.........I think it was more the Saints having bad luck then the Bears actually being better, and the Saints have those type of games every year.

Was thinking the same thing with the Saints sending Colston over the middle ala Eric Martin. What are they thinking other than "what play can we design to make two players collide head-on at the highest possible speed?"

Despite the knowledgeable arguments some have proposed, I, like the original poster, cringe when I see this play. Reggie spends too long waiting for the pass to arrive, for one thing. As in the Philly game, it's the defense's golden opportunity to crush a stationary target at full speed.

Also, I'd like to see the actual percentage stats on its success. Too often it results (in my memory) in broken up passes or little yardage. If Reggie's to be used as a receiver, I'd much rather see him using his speed to get space beyond scrimmage, not standing still, waiting. Just seems a misuse of his main gift.

The Saints are at their best when they are matriculating the ball down the field in 4-8 yard chunks
LOL. "Lets keep matriculating the ball down the field, boys." Are you about to call "65 Toss Power Trap?"

Two thoughts:
1. It does make me nervous as hell, because I do have Sheldon Brown flashbacks from that play, and also, I have visions of Jack Squirek. (see Super Bowl XVIII---Raiders v. Redskins)
2. Wasnt that the play Reggie made the spectacular TD on yesterday?

I dont agree with scrapping the play. I do agree with using it a bit more sparingly.
And "Suicide Swing" is actually kinda catchy. I like it.

Wow I love to see my posts re visited months later, sorta makes me proud. Now my opinion of that play hasn't changed. I feel it's a good play at times, but when Drew lofts it, it's suicide. Today Reggie got nailed and took one to the house...two completely different types of throws. The first was a lame duck...and to those who call this play an "extended run" it's not. Because on a toss it's quick safeties don't have time to watch the ball drift for 3 seconds and turn into a spring loaded projectile aimed at killing our undersized franchise back.

If the play had scored 3 TD's and 1 hit that caused Reggie to miss 4 games then it's a loss. I like the play on 3rd downs if it's a checkdown and REGGIE IS OPEN. I hate the play when it's pre meditated (no matter what Drew reads) if the balls drifts, defenders in the NFL have the speed and instinct to literally end Reggie's career.

Cover 2 defenses are usually suited to stop passes into the flats. If you flood the playside of the field outside the numbers, alot of times you can get the flats open, but with a team like the Bucs, their closing speed on defense still is pretty prohibitive toward these plays.

Someone said Brees needs to zing that ball out there. However, on that particular play, the fact that the ball was lobbed is actually what allowed Bush to take that to the house. He didn't have to slow down and caught the ball in stride. Also, the fact that the ball was high made it less predictable where he would actually catch it and prevented a defender from taking a decisive angle, timing his hit, and really separating Reggie from the ball.

Watch the play again... whether intended or not, that lob caused enough hesitation by the defenders (had to break down) to allow Reggie to burn through the first level. Bush's acceleration really stood out as he got his hands on the ball and just was gone from the get-go. Very, VERY good concentration on his part.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom