Official "suicide swing" pass play thread (1 Viewer)

Also, while were talking about the vulnerabilities/strengths of the tampa 2 in particular, I think the play that really stood out as an effective attack is the pass to Reggie over the middle. If you force that MIKE to respect the deep middle, you'll find space underneath (inside 10 yards). Then you give Bush room to run and make some things happen.

Despite the knowledgeable arguments some have proposed, I, like the original poster, cringe when I see this play. Reggie spends too long waiting for the pass to arrive, for one thing. As in the Philly game, it's the defense's golden opportunity to crush a stationary target at full speed.

Also, I'd like to see the actual percentage stats on its success. Too often it results (in my memory) in broken up passes or little yardage. If Reggie's to be used as a receiver, I'd much rather see him using his speed to get space beyond scrimmage, not standing still, waiting. Just seems a misuse of his main gift.

Correct...Reggie survived that S. Brown hit. I don't think many people realize how hard that hit was. That hit could have ended Bush's career in more ways than 1. I'm suprised he doesn't have alligator arms on the same plays now.

I understand the play and it converts many 3rd downs for us...all i'm saying is it's over used and unsafe. You don't have to be Reggie Bush to catch that swing and go 3 yards. You can be Deuce, PT, Karney, Shockey, Ray Zellars, Vaughn Dunbar, Mario Bates...or anybody. Now if you want to pump it and let that head hunter safety bite then go Wheel TD ALA Bears NFC-C then i'm on board all day everyday !!!

Also, while were talking about the vulnerabilities/strengths of the tampa 2 in particular, I think the play that really stood out as an effective attack is the pass to Reggie over the middle. If you force that MIKE to respect the deep middle, you'll find space underneath (inside 10 yards). Then you give Bush room to run and make some things happen.

Yes TCU I love when he sat inside that zone. Reggie "shakes" best when he can go either way....on the swings he's basically 1 move then upfield. However in the cover 2 if you spead em out you have 1 guy in a zone in the middle and it's usually a MLB...Reggie can do wonders against that, make a move hopefully pick up a WR on a CB block and to the house. A misconception about Bush is that he tries to run away from the D relying on his speed. Actually he likes to run at the D make a few moves in the middle of the field then use his speed to seperate.

I stand firm on the suicide swing.....it can either get him killed or pay dividends if the safety doesn't read it. My original message in this post 8 months ago was this: Is it worth losing him for several weeks or more for the reward of a TD or even more likely a 5 yard gain?

Bush's acceleration really stood out as he got his hands on the ball and just was gone from the get-go. Very, VERY good concentration on his part.

This is what I noticed too - this time, Bush was going about full speed without dancing around by the time he reached the first defender. Most of the time we've seen this executed, Bush never has a chance to use his speed to his advantage.

I dont care what its called, but the quick toss to Reggie when he is open is the best way to use him. Once hes got that cushion, the guy is gone 15 yards at least. Bush isnt your every day power RB. he wont get 1000 yard seasons, but he doesnt need to. He is absolutely explosive, he makes wild aerial leaps and can turn a corner into the endzone with frightening speed and agility. thats why he is great and thats why people who call him a bust can suck it. This guy isnt a stats machine, hes a scoring machine. whether he does it in 10 yards or a hundred yards, all that matters is that 6 on the scoreboard.

I just rewatched the play and just now picked up on that Bush put a hurtin on Ronde Barber on that play. He was laid out on the field and had to come out of the game.

Its the best way to get him in open space and it should be a staple in this offense, but I think Payton has to set the defense up for it, or audible to it when there is a blitz, the play were he had that TD run, it looked like a different swing pass, Stinch actually pulled out to the flat, as opposed to Reggie just running out toward the sideline....I'm skeptical of the play, but its a big play waiting to happen when called at the right time, I like that play and the play were Reggie runs the underneath route out of the backfield were its him and a linebacker.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom