Official Wrasslin' Thread (renamed to reflect the discussion) (146 Viewers)

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wwes-vince-mcmahon-start-professional-football-league/story?id=52604957

i know its been rumored a while. got the alert on the WWE app that "vince mcmahon to stream major sports announcement today at 3pm ET"

so assume he's announcing it today.

I don't think I'm opposed to this idea. I just want it to be a secondary league, maybe in the Spring. If it's done right it could end up being like a developmental league for the NFL. Just like NFL Europe, except in the states.

I don't think I'm opposed to this idea. I just want it to be a secondary league, maybe in the Spring. If it's done right it could end up being like a developmental league for the NFL. Just like NFL Europe, except in the states.

I agree. I would like to see it take place in the early summer after basketball and hockey are over.
There is that big dry spell in the summer when the only sport happening is baseball.
Fill that void with some minor league football. Guys can play over the summer as like a tryout for the NFL and then go from Vince's league right into the fall camps for NFL teams.

That's what I would do, but knowing Vince he will probably try to go head to head with the NFL as like an 'alternative' league. If he tries that it will fail though. too much other stuff going on in the fall, IMO.

So just heard that Stephanie McMahon will be doing the commentary for the women's Royal Rumble on Sunday.

What do you guys think about that??

I don't like it. We need less McMahon's not more. This is self-serving at its finest.

I would rather have someone like Lita or Trish doing the commentary as they were actual performers who would know what they were talking about.
But not that big a deal I guess......

I don't have a problem with that at all. Stephanie is leagues better on the mic and can put over the women's battle royal and the women's revolution much better than the likes of a Lita or Trish. Too often when wrestlers do commentary, the chemistry and flow get badly hurt. I would rather have someone like Stephanie who has a better feeling for how to read the situation and keep things going smoothly.

I agree. I would like to see it take place in the early summer after basketball and hockey are over.
There is that big dry spell in the summer when the only sport happening is baseball.
Fill that void with some minor league football. Guys can play over the summer as like a tryout for the NFL and then go from Vince's league right into the fall camps for NFL teams.

That's what I would do, but knowing Vince he will probably try to go head to head with the NFL as like an 'alternative' league. If he tries that it will fail though. too much other stuff going on in the fall, IMO.

this would be perfect. do it like 8 weeks to start or something. late may to mid july. then they can sign with nfl for camps.

I don't have a problem with that at all. Stephanie is leagues better on the mic and can put over the women's battle royal and the women's revolution much better than the likes of a Lita or Trish. Too often when wrestlers do commentary, the chemistry and flow get badly hurt. I would rather have someone like Stephanie who has a better feeling for how to read the situation and keep things going smoothly.

I think it also makes it a better chance that Lita and/or Trish will be in the Rumble.

Good to see you again Joe!

Yeah I think you are probably right. Stephanie is good on the mic. She probably would be better than some of the others. Although Lita just did do the Mae Young Classic so it would make sense that she would do the Rumble. But if she is planning to be IN the Rumble then it makes sense.

I just don't like McMahons on my TV at all. Plus, she has been a heel character on TV for years, but when she made the announcement she was playing the 'CEO' character. So which will she be on Sunday? Heel Steph, or company executive?

OK listening to Vince answer questions from various media outlets.

1) It's single entity, no franchises. ( League owns all teams)
2) WWE isn't affiliated with the league this time around (no B.S. like the original XFL)
3) Seasons will begin in late January to Early February (I assume they will have it right after the SB each year)
4) Vince will remain chairman and CEO of WWE
5) Vince will not be at the front of the league. People are being hired to handle operations. ( IMO this is a good thing. Put your money in and let the people do their jobs)

That's as far as I got before having to step away from it. Seems like it's a more serious attempt at a real football league this time around.

So the Rumble is this weekend guys so we should do our predictions. I am also going to put up a quiz later on the Rumble. But I figured we should start with our predictions.

Here we go-

Men's Rumble winner: Roman Reigns
-God I hope I am wrong on this one. I really don't think they will actually do this but i just have this feeling they will try it again. He just dropped the IC title so now he is free to start going after the Uni belt. I am holding out hope that Bryan will enter and win, but I don't think that is happening, so the next best option would be the Miz. He deserves it.

Women's Rumble winner: Ronda Rousey
-She just recently said that she won't be there as she is going to Colombia to film a movie. But I don't buy any of it. They have been going out of their way to say she won't be there which means that she will be there, and she will win. 2nd choice to win is Asuka.

Brock Lesnar (c) vs. Braun Strowman vs. Kane Triple threat match for the WWE Universal Championship: Brock Lesnar
-I really don't care about this match at all. Kane has sucked all life out of this storyline and Brock being gone so much makes the Uni belt feel like an afterthought. Gotta keep Lesnar looking strong so Roman can slay the beast. The real question is what is Braun going to destroy?? I am going to say he is going to smash a slushie machine and dump it all over Kane.

AJ Styles (c) vs. Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn Handicap match for the WWE Championship: AJ Styles
-I don't see how having Co-champions would work but Sami/Ko could probably pull it off. If the rumors are true I could see KO/Sami winning it and then KO turns on Sami again and claims the belt for himself. Leading to the feud and mania match. It could work.

Seth Rollins and Jason Jordan (c) vs. Cesaro and Sheamus Tag team match for the WWE "RAW" Tag Team Championship: The Bar
-I don't really know what they are doing with RAW's tag division. It's a hot mess right now. I think they drop the belts to lead to Rollins vs. Jordan at some point.

The Usos (Jey and Jimmy Uso) (c) vs. Chad Gable and Shelton Benjamin 2-out-of-3-falls match for the WWE "SmackDown" Tag Team Championship: The Uso's
-I wouldn't be shocked with Gable/Benjamin winning but I think they stick with the hot hand with the Usos. This will probably be the match of the night. I am fine with all outcomes of this one.

As of now that is all the matches announced. No IC match, No U.S. title match, No Cruiserweight title match. No women's title matches. They have to have a few more matches no???

Let's also say one surprise entrant for each rumble.
Women: Lita and Trish

Men: RVD and Kurt Angle
(right now there are only 12 confirmed men entrants, so there will have to be quite a few 'suprises')

Now your turn.......:9:

I’ll get my Rumble predictions in soon.

Also, a reminder: no spoilers on surprises please :)

And for the record, I’m not saying you spoiled anything eg.

So has anyone else seen the stories about Daniel Bryan's Vegas odds of winning the Rumble skyrocketing this week? I believe he went from like 66-1 to 10-1. On the one hand, I feel like the odds of him even wrestling in the WWE again are slim to none. On the other, the wiseguys in that town usually have a lot of inside info. So, forget the winning part, could it be even remotely possible he enters the match? And if it happens, how quickly do your pants come off?

His odds have dropped way back down, so it seems that the wiseguys caught wind of a possible plan to have Bryan win and didn't want to risk taking a bath on it. It appears now from the odds anyway that whatever inside plan there was to have Bryan win has been scrapped.

ETA: Bryan is now back to where he was before, even slightly higher.

Good to see you again Joe!

It's good to be seen. :beerchug:

Yeah I think you are probably right. Stephanie is good on the mic. She probably would be better than some of the others. Although Lita just did do the Mae Young Classic so it would make sense that she would do the Rumble. But if she is planning to be IN the Rumble then it makes sense.

I just don't like McMahons on my TV at all. Plus, she has been a heel character on TV for years, but when she made the announcement she was playing the 'CEO' character. So which will she be on Sunday? Heel Steph, or company executive?

I have no doubt that Steph will be company executive behind the booth. You only get one first impression and the WWE wants to get this women's rumble match idea off the ground right; so Steph will be there to put it over as best she can. I can certainly understand the desire to not want any more McMahons be seen, but I still think that to a lot of casual fans that the inclusion of a McMahon signifies something of added importance.

I must admit that I didn't see the Mae Young Classic, so I can't critique Lita from that. It does at least say a little something that the WWE felt confident enough in her to give her that gig though.

isnt trish pregnant?
No. She gave birth last year. She was supposed to fight Asuka at the Takeover in Canada but that was scraped for Mickie James due to the bundle of joy.

Anyone else notice she's bleached her hair again? Her natural brown hair is gone.

Okay, so my "predictions." (And I use that term very loosely)

Men's Rumble winner: Daniel Bryan.

-Why not go out on a limb? I think this is really a long shot, but they have already been building animosity between DB and AJ. In a perfect world, this is a Mania dream match. Side note: if I were attending this event, I'd be starting a "just walk out" movement if #RomanRuinsEverything wins.

Women's Rumble Winner: Asuka.

-I do think Rousey is also a strong possibility. That story about her being out of town filming a movie smells like a smokescreen to me.

Universal Title match winner: Brock.

-yawn. Don't care. Kane is there to eat the pin in what will likely be a pretty dull match. Just building to another coronation for #RomanRuinsEverything.

WWE Title match winner: AJ.

-I figure there will be some shenanigans involving DB and Shane, but I think Styles is booked to beat the odds.

Raw tag title match winners: The Bar.

-I'm 50/50 on this one. They seem to be building to Rollins v Jordan. They might keep the belts on them just to continue that.

SDL tag title match winners: Gable and Benjamin.

-I think the Usos drop the belts as punishment for Jey's DUI(or was it Jimmy?). Agree with egautr that this could be the match of the night.

For "surprise" Rumble entrants, I'm going with two picks for each match. One from NXT and one I'm just gonna pull out of thin air.

Men's Rumble: Johnny Gargano and EC3.

Women's Rumble: Nikki Cross and Alundra Blaze.

Also, it has been announced that there will be US Title open challenge on the pre-show. Who would you like to see answer it? I'd love it to be Velveteen Dream.

Rumble Predictions

Men's Rumble winner: Roman Reigns
-I would much prefer Nakamura or Bryan but I think they keep it simple and stupid. WWE hates their fans so what better way to stick it to them. Besides if my perfect scenario of Nakamura winning and facing AJ at WM34 were to happen. They would ruin it by having them wrestle each other in 20 different random tag matches each week on Smackdown leading up Mania thus killing the anticipation and mystique of the match.

My dark horse winner: BRAUN!!!!

Women's Rumble winner: Becky Lynch
-I know it a long shot but i gotta pull for my favorite Lass Kicker!! Asuka or Jax probably win.

My dark horse winner: Stephanie. After all she did start the women's revolution and is responsible for all of this right? So its seems only right she should win.

Twitter will EXPLODE winner: Tyler Breeze dressed as woman! A man won the first women's MITB match so why shouldn't a man win the first women's RR match. It would GLORIOUS!!

Brock Lesnar (c) vs. Braun Strowman vs. Kane Triple threat match for the WWE Universal Championship: Brock Lesnar
- Lesnar vs Braun a few months was a total bore. Adding Kane is like....... ugh I'm too bored to finish my thought. :zzz:

AJ Styles (c) vs. Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn Handicap match for the WWE Championship: AJ Styles
- not really sure about this one but as much as love Team Yep! Having Co-World Champs just sounds stupid. Not as stupid as making Jinder Mahal World Champ for 6 months so it could happen.:idunno:

Seth Rollins and Jason Jordan (c) vs. Cesaro and Sheamus Tag team match for the WWE "RAW" Tag Team Championship: Rollins/Jordan
-I don't care who wins as long as we move on from this feud already!!! Rollins has been fighting with Cesaro & Sheamus for months upon months now. Please, please move on.

The Usos (Jey and Jimmy Uso) (c) vs. Chad Gable and Shelton Benjamin 2-out-of-3-falls match for the WWE "SmackDown" Tag Team Championship: The Uso's
- I don't know with this one. As long as we get a great match. I'm happy either way.

Surprise entrant for each rumble.
Women: Stephanie, Nikki Cross, Peyton Royce

Men: EC3, Undertaker

Royal Rumble Match

Who I want to win: Daniel Bryan
Who I think will win: Roman Reigns

WWE should not, under any circumstances, book Reigns to win the Rumble again (right now at least). There are other ways to get him with Brock. Use this to build a new superstar or give the fans something completely unexpected. Shinsuke winning would be great. It would mean more for him than Reigns.

Women’s Royal Rumble Match

This one is tough. Rousey entering and winning would be great, but again, I’d rather see this go to someone who’s been with WWE for a while and could use the boost.

I’m gonna go with Nia Jax.

Universal Title Match

Braun should win this match and just dominate for the next 6 months, but Brock is gonna pin Kane because we’ve all seen this coming.

AJ retains his title.

The Bar defeats JJ/CrossFit Jesus

SDL Tag Team: Gable/Benjamin

Surprises for Men’s RR- Undertaker, Daniel Bryan, EC3

Surprises for Women’s RR- Trish, Lita, Rousey, several from NXT

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom