Official Wrasslin' Thread (renamed to reflect the discussion) (67 Viewers)

Watching the Montreal Screwjob episode. I knew Cornette and Russo hated each other. That's never been a secret. But, man, they REALLY hate each other.

Yeah, they're really good. You can watch them on the Viceland app on various platforms (Roku, etc.) if cable or satellite isn't an option.

Watching the Montreal Screwjob episode. I knew Cornette and Russo hated each other. That's never been a secret. But, man, they REALLY hate each other.

Cornette saying he was going to piss on Russo's grave was hilarious, especially since you know he 100% isnt joking about it.

Yeah, they're really good. You can watch them on the Viceland app on various platforms (Roku, etc.) if cable or satellite isn't an option.

Cornette saying he was going to piss on Russo's grave was hilarious, especially since you know he 100% isnt joking about it.
"Hate is a strong motivator."

Both the Bruiser Brody and Von Erichs episodes are depressing as fork. I already knew the Von Erichs story, but, damn.

Yeah, the Von Erichs are cursed. That family has been through more sheet than the Kennedys. It's depressing to think about.

Decent article with the main point right here...

Put simply, WWE can no longer make stars. Hell, they can’t even keep morale up among the wrestlers they have under contract.

Dean Ambrose left when his contract was up because he was tired of what was being done to his character. Others have reportedly pledged to do the same, like The Revival, who turned down a large contract offer and were booked to lose the tag team titles to the two biggest losers in the company. They’re in the middle of being embarrassed and humiliated on television each week.

Then you have the cases of Luke Harper and Sasha Banks, who are both sick of how they’re being treated and have asked to be let go. They won’t be let go, however, because WWE fears they will simply go to its newest competitor, AEW. They are, then, essentially trapping unhappy folks and holding them hostage -- folks who are, by the way, not even actual employees of the company.

To top it all off, WWE just announced that, yes, the Saudi Arabia money is too good to pass up again and they will be sending the wrestlers they have left back over there so they can cash a fat check, all else be damned. They’re also paying Goldberg, Undertaker, and Brock Lesnar a lot of money to return for it because, again, there are no real stars on the roster anymore.

Decent article with the main point right here...

All true.

The truth is WWE is being buoyed by Saudi money and the Fox Smackdown deal and it's keeping people from seeing how substantially things are really declining. And the Smackdown deal was only because Fox lost UFC and is throwing around absurd amounts of money for anything approaching "live sports" programming. Vince didn't get that deal because has a good product. And part of me wonders if the ratings tanking as badly as they are since then has Fox worried. Because things are only getting worse, not better.

If it weren't for those, we would be talking about the future of this company in a lot more dire terms than we are. And maybe we should be anyway. Live attendance is way down (plenty of pics of almost completely empty house shows, Raw/Smackdown haven't sold out arenas in ages and the side opposite the hard camera always has tons of empty seats), ratings are way down, they aren't creating marketable new stars. After a period of relatively little drama, it seems discontent is growing big time backstage with the talent. The last boom period was 20 years ago and there doesn't seem to be another one on the horizon (I subscribe to the theory that MMA, and UFC specifically, stole this generation's boom period thunder).

And I know people say "Never count Vince out" and all that, but Vince will be 74 years old this year. He's old and out of touch (even moreso than usual) and from some of the backstage stories coming out recently it sounds like some of his "eccentricities" are becoming amplified. He doesn't know what people want anymore. And even if he did he may be too stubborn/crazy to give it to them.

The next five years are going to be interesting to watch. I think some people really buy into the "Then Now Forever" tagline the company uses and think of WWE as just something that will always be around, but nothing lasts forever. Especially in entertainment.

Last edited:
Yeah, and I don’t even think this article touched on the people behind the scenes who are very unhappy.

Road Dog left as the Smackdown co-head writer and Dean Malenko just quit as well.

In the past few months you've had:

Dean Ambrose leave
The Revival ask for their release and allegedly turn down an offered contract extension
Luke Harper ask for his release
Sasha Banks supposedly ask for her release, and she has been MIA since Wrestlemania
Goldust ask for and receive his release
Hideo Itami ask for and receive his release
There's something going on with Ziggler IIRC
Mike Bennett/Maria Kannellis asked for their release.
Arn Anderson fired as a road agent.
Dean Malenko quits as a road agent.
Road Dogg leaves his position as head writer allegedly because he couldn't tolerate Vince throwing out his team's work last minute every week and rewriting from scratch.

That's a LOT of turmoil in four or five months. Especially since people have called this the "I'm just happy to be here" era for talent. Doesn't seem that way anymore.

And I heard that the Revival’s contract extensions would have paid them at least $500K per year, which sounds at least decent for guys who don’t work as singles competitors or main event-ers.

So they didn’t turn those contracts down just because of money.

That was a terrible RAW. RAW sucks. That is all.

When does AEW start???

I wanted so badly to get back in the full swing of things, but the WWE isn't helping with that at all given the current product they are putting out.

Things really go downhill when Cena isn't there, don't they? :tears::run:

I wanted so badly to get back in the full swing of things, but the WWE isn't helping with that at all given the current product they are putting out.

Things really go downhill when Cena isn't there, don't they? :tears::run:
I'm not gonna lie. I kinda miss the guy. Just not the Dr of Thuganomics version. Please never bring that back again.

Also, they have really struggled getting footing after the last shake up and the Bryan injury. SDL is still the better show, but nowhere near what it was pre-Mania.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom