Official Wrasslin' Thread (renamed to reflect the discussion) (69 Viewers)

-The other guy in the booth. Dio something? he was okay but nothing great. I am assuming Cole and Graves are on Smackdown now? What is gonna happen to Tom Phillips?

From what I've read Phillips has been on the outs with Vince for a while. He might not be back for a while.

I actually really liked most of Raw this week. But the lows were VERY low.

The Hogan and Flair stuff was long and stupid infomercial for Saudi Arabia.

The Lashley and Lana thing was so weird and stupid. It feels like a punishment for Rusev saying he was unhappy. One of these storylines is bad enough, but they think it’s a good idea to have this and the Mike Kanellis junk going on at the same time?

And Jerry Lawler was awful. It’s insane that they thought he was worth bringing back.

Not getting into match quality, production value, or anything else, here was the biggest thing that popped out to me re: NXT vs AEW: The AEW crowd (apparently over 14k) felt big time. They were hot the whole night, the arena looked big and full on TV, there were signs in the crowd. I won't say it felt as electric as peak Monday Night Wars crowds, but it was certainly something you don't see even at Raw or Smackdown anymore.

And with NXT, it was just the same Full Sail crowd. Sounds like old school studio wrestling. Everything looks darkly lit and small. Like if I knew nothing about wrestling and were just flipping channels and saw those two things, I would assume AEW is the much bigger deal just based on those aesthetics.

That said, it remains to be seen if AEW will keep drawing those kinds of crowds long term. Will be interesting to see what ratings look like. Both shows had their merits tonight, and competition can only be healthy.

Not getting into match quality, production value, or anything else, here was the biggest thing that popped out to me re: NXT vs AEW: The AEW crowd (apparently over 14k) felt big time. They were hot the whole night, the arena looked big and full on TV, there were signs in the crowd. I won't say it felt as electric as peak Monday Night Wars crowds, but it was certainly something you don't see even at Raw or Smackdown anymore.

And with NXT, it was just the same Full Sail crowd. Sounds like old school studio wrestling. Everything looks darkly lit and small. Like if I knew nothing about wrestling and were just flipping channels and saw those two things, I would assume AEW is the much bigger deal just based on those aesthetics.

That said, it remains to be seen if AEW will keep drawing those kinds of crowds long term. Will be interesting to see what ratings look like. Both shows had their merits tonight, and competition can only be healthy.
I agree with all of this. I think both shows did their best to put their best foot forward. Good matches. Returns/debuts. AEW lost me a bit with the women's title match. Too many botches, IMO. Both shows were still way better than the soap opera that was Raw.

I agree with all of this. I think both shows did their best to put their best foot forward. Good matches. Returns/debuts. AEW lost me a bit with the women's title match. Too many botches, IMO. Both shows were still way better than the soap opera that was Raw.

AEW's women's roster has been suspect from the beginning. I kind of subscribe to the theory that every promotion now feels pressured to have a women's division, but that there are much fewer women wrestlers than men and WWE signs up most of the top talent that does exist, so what happens is other companies are left with really green and unpolished workers for their women's divisions. I think this was one of the (non-booking) reasons Ring of Honor's Women of Honor died pretty much out of the gate. There's more theoretical demand for female wrestlers than there exists top talent at this point.

Also on that note, the AEW Women's title is really, really small.

Also, it was great to hear Tony Schiovane tonight. Dude hasn't missed a step. Even JR sounded way more lively and engaged. Much better announcing tonight overall.

Last edited:
Can't believe I missed both episodes for dinner with the gf. Dammit... :covri::mecry:

AEW's women's roster has been suspect from the beginning. I kind of subscribe to the theory that every promotion now feels pressured to have a women's division, but that there are much fewer women wrestlers than men and WWE signs up most of the top talent that does exist, so what happens is other companies are left with really green and unpolished workers for their women's divisions. I think this was one of the (non-booking) reasons Ring of Honor's Women of Honor died pretty much out of the gate. There's more theoretical demand for female wrestlers than there exists top talent at this point.

Also on that note, the AEW Women's title is really, really small.

Also, it was great to hear Tony Schiovane tonight. Dude hasn't missed a step. Even JR sounded way more lively and engaged. Much better announcing tonight overall.
AEW should make a play for Impact Wrestling's Tessa Blanchard and Rosemary. And a few familiar faces from WWE that are no longer under contract.

AEW should make a play for Impact Wrestling's Tessa Blanchard and Rosemary. And a few familiar faces from WWE that are no longer under contract.

I'm surprised Tessa didn't make the jump already. I didn't think Impact had that level of exclusivity in their contracts.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom