Official Wrasslin' Thread (renamed to reflect the discussion) (57 Viewers)

How was it bad? What about it made it bad?
The shameless attempt to recapture the excitement of a feud from The Attitude Era 20+ years ago? Or maybe it was that Tyson looked more bewildered than intimidating and had trouble ripping off his shirt? I mean what was good about it? If Vince had a 53 year old Mike Tyson come out and get into a pull away confrontation with AJ Styles, would that be good?

That said, if this is leading to some kind of program between Tyson and Jericho, I have total faith that Le Champion will make it entertaining. Other than that, it's a 'meh' from me.

ETA: I enjoyed the segment up until the Tyson bit, from the t-shirts, to Sammy handing out participation trophies, to Hager's poem. Good God, Hager's poem. But, hey, like Sun said it seems to have people talking so I guess it served its purpose.

Last edited:
I agree that it wasn't great, but it seems to have accomplished its purpose. They've gotten press on ESPN, TMZ, and other outlets reported on it. I've seen people saying it got coverage in local news in places like Portugal and Australia. Whether that translate to anything, who knows, but it had people talking last night and today.

Yeah, I agree that the Tyson thing was lame but I also understand why they did it. It may be the kind of low-hanging, cliched fruit that AEW presents itself as being above, but during these times I can't say that I blame them for going for a shameless ratings and headline grab like that. And while it was a wet blanket ending on what was a very fun pep rally segment, I'll trust Jericho to be charismatic and creative enough to get this program over (even if only barely) as it develops.

But man, oh man. I don't want Dr. Britt Baker's Roll Model/conspiracy theory promo to get lost in the shuffle. That was fantastic. It's also very encouraging to see that they are finding ways to keep her on TV so that she doesn't lose the momentum she's been building (and that she'll apparently be back in about 3 months instead of the 9-12 that was initially feared).

What the Fork!? Reminds me of when Scott Hall was in a downward spiral in WCW and they tried making "drunk Scott Hall" his gimmick.

I sometimes listen to that 83 Weeks podcast with Conrad Thompson and Eric Bischoff............namely because I started watching them about a year ago, and now they constantly come up as Youtube suggestions.

On one of them, Bischoff said he had very few actual "regrets" from his WCW tenure.....citing that while he wasn't perfect, he felt he had done the best he could with whatever was going on at the time.

But of the very few regrets he has..............one was how he treated Ric Flair in the late 90s...........another was the "Drunk Scott Hall" angle.

If I'm remembering the timeframe of that angle correctly.......I'm thinking it was like....Fall 98 or so? By this point in time, I'm guessing Bischoff was in desperation mode with trying to regain the ratings victories. They already did the Goldberg title win over Hogan in early July.....and at some point that fall, Warrior was brought in.

I also remember on one of those podcats, Bischoff says the wheels were coming off WCW long before the average fan had any clue. In hindsight, that makes sense. I just remember WCW, WWF and even ECW all being red hot in Summer '98.........and not even 3 full years later, WCW was sold and ECW was bankrupt.

Well this isnt the first time they have done a drunk storyline. Remember what they did with Hawk.

I think this punishment for just one too many times for Jeff getting in trouble, Matt signing with AEW, and I am sure Jeff following him once his contract is done.

Once his contract is done I think the Hardys will not be around or welcome into the WWE for a very very long time. Possibly not until they are put in the HOF.

Interesting move. Guess they realize how people aren't buying the product.

re: opening up the WWE Network to a free content tier:

Supposedly the reason Vince fired George Barrios and Michelle Wilson a few months ago is they were big boosters of the Network as part of the strategy going forward, whereas Vince (again, supposedly) views it as a money sink that has plateaued and can't really benefit them long term anymore. This is why they were pushing WM on a traditional PPV model for the first time in a long time and had been having talks about moving their streaming content to another provider, similar to what UFC did with ESPN. Also possibly one reason (AEW is the primary one) NXT moved to USA.

Vince may be right. There's a hard cap on the number of wrestling fans willing to pay for it and there's now way too much streaming competition compared to when they started. The subscription numbers were stagnant for years and have been declining domestically the last couple. They've definitely stopped investing in the network like they used to, as well.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom