Official Wrasslin' Thread (renamed to reflect the discussion) (169 Viewers)

My friend Swampbear liked WCW more as well. I asked the wrong question. On either side, hiw was the average show? Were there weeks with excellent episodes or did it vary month to month?
It varied. In the beginning, Raw lost consistently because they suffered from being taped while Nitro was live and came on earlier. So when you turned on Nitro, they were literally giving you the results of Raw without you turning the station. It was a genius move in my opinion.

It varied. In the beginning, Raw lost consistently because they suffered from being taped while Nitro was live and came on earlier. So when you turned on Nitro, they were literally giving you the results of Raw without you turning the station. It was a genius move in my opinion.
I watched that downfall program or whatever it was so I know about certain things but I'm wondering about the consistency of the product from week to week and month to month compared to now. It's obviously worse now but how good was the best time? That time was right before I started to watch.

My friend Swampbear liked WCW more as well. I asked the wrong question. On either side, hiw was the average show? Were there weeks with excellent episodes or did it vary month to month?

I seem to recall a real downshift in quality when Nitro went to 3 hours. It went from must watch weekly TV to having lots of filler. I believe Bischoff has even said this is when the decline for WCW started. That he knew they couldn't reasonably book 3 hours a week for Nitro and that the quality started tanking as a result. But there were countless other reasons as well.

As to WWF/WWE, there was a lot of junk during the Attitude Era that rarely gets mentioned these days. The top of the card stuff was always must see TV, but then you'd have some pointless segment with Godfather and the Ho Train or Naked Mideon or Beaver Cleavage that no one remembers because of how dumb it was.

But overall, there was incentive to watch weekly unlike now.
Let him read it. He's only good when his back is against the wall so force the issue. He either responds and we'll all be happier for it or he fails and sells and that would mean AEW won.
I think the thing is he actually has no incentive to respond. People forget because it was so long ago, but when the Attitude Era started WWF was in real trouble. They were coming off the steroid trial of the early 90's which had tanked the company and Vince's reputation, the awful New Generation era had seen live show business and TV ratings collapse, and they didn't have a bunch of lucrative contracts to keep them afloat. The company wasn't even publicly traded at that point. When they finally changed gears, it was because Vince was desperate.

Now? They're almost in "too big to fail" territory. Between the Fox and Peacock deals and the Saudi blood money shows, they're financially secure for the better part of a decade even if people continue tuning out. Between that and not wanting to rock the boat with investors, Vince has no incentive to push any envelopes or take any risks. There have even been vague rumors Fox would like the product to be a bit edgier but Vince has no interest in it.

I don’t see Vince going back to more edgier programming but it wouldn’t hurt to start using the younger talent he has and stop relying on the part timers. What harm could it do? Rating and the product are declining so why not take the chance

I seem to recall a real downshift in quality when Nitro went to 3 hours. It went from must watch weekly TV to having lots of filler. I believe Bischoff has even said this is when the decline for WCW started. That he knew they couldn't reasonably book 3 hours a week for Nitro and that the quality started tanking as a result. But there were countless other reasons as well.

As to WWF/WWE, there was a lot of junk during the Attitude Era that rarely gets mentioned these days. The top of the card stuff was always must see TV, but then you'd have some pointless segment with Godfather and the Ho Train or Naked Mideon or Beaver Cleavage that no one remembers because of how dumb it was.

But overall, there was incentive to watch weekly unlike now.

I think the thing is he actually has no incentive to respond. People forget because it was so long ago, but when the Attitude Era started WWF was in real trouble. They were coming off the steroid trial of the early 90's which had tanked the company and Vince's reputation, the awful New Generation era had seen live show business and TV ratings collapse, and they didn't have a bunch of lucrative contracts to keep them afloat. The company wasn't even publicly traded at that point. When they finally changed gears, it was because Vince was desperate.

Now? They're almost in "too big to fail" territory. Between the Fox and Peacock deals and the Saudi blood money shows, they're financially secure for the better part of a decade even if people continue tuning out. Between that and not wanting to rock the boat with investors, Vince has no incentive to push any envelopes or take any risks. There have even been vague rumors Fox would like the product to be a bit edgier but Vince has no interest in it.
Wouldn't the idea that AEW has passed him by or even just the possibility of it be enough incentive in taking risks or am I forgetting that even drunk I can think more reasonably than Vince?

Ringside news is notorious for bad info, btw. Not that I think wwe wouldn't be this stupid, but in this case, you definitely need to consider the source.
I know. That's why I said if.

I’ve must of watched Adam Cole debut at least 10 times
Here's the thing though. Everybody was marking out so much, did they not realize he came out of the heel tunnel or just didn't care?

So Fightful is reporting that Kevin Owens' contract is up way sooner than expected (Jan 2022).

On the same night that's posted, Owens posted the latitude and longitude of Mount Rushmore on Twitter before quickly deleting it. Mount Rushmore was the name of the heel supergroup he was part of with the Young Bucks and Adam Cole in PWG years ago.

Make of that what you will.

So Fightful is reporting that Kevin Owens' contract is up way sooner than expected (Jan 2022).

On the same night that's posted, Owens posted the latitude and longitude of Mount Rushmore on Twitter before quickly deleting it. Mount Rushmore was the name of the heel supergroup he was part of with the Young Bucks and Adam Cole in PWG years ago.

Make of that what you will.
Meh... Nothing to see here, Vince. Move along... :hihi:

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom