Official Wrasslin' Thread (renamed to reflect the discussion) (15 Viewers)

Well I would say that the Naomi vs. Asuka was good but not great, it was a little clunky, and the main event of Ali/Styles vs. Almas/Bryan was really good but it doesn't really mean anything. But good match. Just too much Vince and they have completely killed all of the momentum that Miz had by having him chase around Shane.

But yeah, you aint' missed anything.....
Well, I wouldn't say the Main Event doesn't mean anything. Ali pinned the champ clean. Usually, that leads to a title shot. However, his botch on Bryan might cool things down for Ali.

https://www.cagesideseats.com/wwe/2018/12/20/18149746/jimmy-jacobs-explains-wwe-creative-process

So I came across this article on Cagesideseats and wanted to share. Jimmy Jacobs explains the wwe creative/writing process and it sounds so dang convoluted and confusing.
The main point I got from it was that pretty much everything goes through Vince and has to get his approval.
This quote was particularly striking:

“The Vince factor is a huge part of writing RAW and SmackDown. Even if you took Vince out of the equation, it’s an extremely difficult task to come up with new ideas, concepts and new matches for 3 hours each week. But yeah, it’s difficult writing for Vince. The prevailing goal is ‘Is Vince going to like this?’ So, [you’re writing things going] ‘Will Vince gonna yell about this?’

It’s hard to know what he wants because things will change, and he’ll want changes. He’s certainly a unique character and some people like to blame Vince for all the bad stuff, I don’t know if that’s true or not. Certainly, I’ll give the devil his due: if you blame him for the bad stuff then you have to blame him for the good stuff.“

That right there is the problem. They are writing the show to suite Vince's tastes and wants. That is the main problem. You shouldn't be writing an episodic show to entertain one 73 year old out of touch billionaire. How many 70 year olds you know that watch wrestling?? yeah.....

It is so disengenious when they come out there and say they are going to listen to the fans and give us what we want when we all know the only person that matter is VKM. It is also highly insulting as well. How dumb do they really think their viewers are????

I give Vince all the credit in the world for making pro wrestling the cultural mainstay it is today and for creating wrestlemania and his many other achievements. But it is time to move on from the 'VKM' era. If this company wants to survive post-VKM they better start making shows to please their audience and main viewers and not the old man in charge. Apple moved on from Steve Jobs. Disney moved on without Walt Disney. When will WWE move on with out VKM making all the decisions????

https://www.cagesideseats.com/wwe/2018/12/20/18149746/jimmy-jacobs-explains-wwe-creative-process

So I came across this article on Cagesideseats and wanted to share. Jimmy Jacobs explains the wwe creative/writing process and it sounds so dang convoluted and confusing.
The main point I got from it was that pretty much everything goes through Vince and has to get his approval.
This quote was particularly striking:

That right there is the problem. They are writing the show to suite Vince's tastes and wants. That is the main problem. You shouldn't be writing an episodic show to entertain one 73 year old out of touch billionaire. How many 70 year olds you know that watch wrestling?? yeah.....

It is so disengenious when they come out there and say they are going to listen to the fans and give us what we want when we all know the only person that matter is VKM. It is also highly insulting as well. How dumb do they really think their viewers are????

I give Vince all the credit in the world for making pro wrestling the cultural mainstay it is today and for creating wrestlemania and his many other achievements. But it is time to move on from the 'VKM' era. If this company wants to survive post-VKM they better start making shows to please their audience and main viewers and not the old man in charge. Apple moved on from Steve Jobs. Disney moved on without Walt Disney. When will WWE move on with out VKM making all the decisions????
Probably not until he's 6 feet under.

Alright fellas the end of 2018 is almost upon us and it's rankings time! This was a truly great year for wrestling. So many fantastic matches and moments. For me personally it was one to remember. I finally got to see a Wrestlemania in person and fulfill a life long dream and it was a fantastic experience!

Here is my list for the Best and Worst of 2018. Feel free to copy and paste your choices in and add any categories that I might have missed:

Male Wrestler of the Year: JOHNNY GARGANO - there are bigger names that I could have chosen but every match this guy had this year was a 5 star classic and his feud with Ciampa was everything I love about wrestling.

Female Wrestler of the Year: BECKY LYNCH - it may have only been for the past 6 months but THE MAN has dominated WWE since Summerslam and has invigorated the entire women's division.

Tag Team of the Year: THE YOUNG BUCKS - both in and out of the ring they have owned 2018

Overall Match of the Year: KENNY OMEGA VS KAZUCHIKA OKADA (NJPW Dominion) This match was just wrestling perfection! What else can be said?

WWE Match of the Year: BECKY LYNCH VS. CHARLOTTE FLAIR (EVOLUTION) - so many to choose from and there may be many others that are superior technically but everything that surrounded this match from the history to character work was amazing and match itself was pretty fantastic.

Runner Up: Six Way Ladder Match (NXT Takeover: New Orleans)

Non-WWE Match of the Year: KENNY OMEGA VS KAZUCHIKA OKADA (NJPW Dominion) - see above

Runner Up: HIROMU TAKAHASHI VS TAIJI ISHIMORI (NJPW Best Of The Super Juniors) - first time watching either guy and I was blown away!

Worst Match of the Year: DX vs. The Brothers of Destruction (Crown Jewel) - not even the return and amazing effort of Shawn Michaels could save this train wreck.

Best PPV of the Year: NXT TAKEOVER: NEW ORLEANS - every match was either great or an amazing 5 star classic!

Worst PPV of the Year: CROWN JEWEL - not only because of all the nasty stuff surrounding it but the show itself was downright unwatchable.

Best Feud of the Year: JOHNNY GARGANO vs. TOMMASO CIAMPA - from the amazing storytelling to the fantastic matches. This is the feud that kept on giving the whole year!

Worst Feud of the Year: KEVIN OWENS vs BRAUN STROWMAN - there are many to choose from but this is the one that I just hated. This was just Braun basically bullying, tormenting and humiliating KO just because KO wanted to be his friend. And we are supposed to cheer for Braun???

Best Moment of the Year: TIE - Daniel Bryan announces he's BACK! A bloody Becky Lynch mocking the RAW women with arms in the air!

Worst Moment of the Year: TIE - Roman's cancer announcement. This just plain sucked!!! The McMahon's announcing that everything will change and be new and fresh... when we all know nothing will. In fact it will probably get worse now.

Dude was one of the great ones. May he rest in peace.

I was too busy watching Clemson beat the brakes off of Alabama.

So I watched RAW last night for the first time in a few weeks and it was better but still not great.
The opening 6 man tag was o.k. Typical wwe throw everyone in a tag match thing. Cena's hair is just awful though, geez!!

Decent tag match b/t Revival and Gable/Roode but the audience just didn't care. Not sure why they should when WWE really doesn't so.....

Very awful awful awful Alexa Bliss segment followed by a trainwreck of a match b/t Nia and Sasha. I was legitimately scared for Sasha being in the ring with the careless Nia Jax. She is going to hurt someone very badly and possible end someones career. Seriously. She is unsafe and should not be allowed to wrestle until she figures it out, I don't care who her freaking cousin is. The top rope spot she did to Sasha was one of the most careless things I have ever seen in a match. She just dropped her onto the top rope and nearly broke her neck. She is the WORST wrestler on any WWE roster, by far. SMH......

The falls count anywhere match was okay. This feud just hasn't been clicking for some reason. Just not feeling Rollins/Ambrose. man Rollins is soooo good when he wan't to be though. I keep dreaming about a possible Rollins vs. Omega match, and then remember that WWE would just mess it up in some kind of way.

The Lesnar/Braun segment was terrible. Braun came off really bad to me. Just an idiot. Lesnar and Heyman are sooooo repetative. Same thing every time he appears. Can Lesnar just go away please???? I don't want to see him anymore for anything. Boring.

I did however love the Mean Gene package and the Hogan promo. Now let me say I am NO fan of Hogan. In fact I despise him for many reasons and wished he would never appear on WWE again. However, he did a great job of getting people to remember Mean Gene and paid a great tribute to him. It was cheesy, it was corny, but gosh darnit, I loved every second of it!! RIP Gene.

Mean, Whooooooooo, by god Gene!!!!!!

Wait, is Alexa still injured? What the hell? Just let her stay home and recover.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom