Official Wrasslin' Thread (renamed to reflect the discussion) (13 Viewers)

They definitely hinted at it, and I'd be all for it as well.

Also, if anyone needs to go back to their old music, it's Cesaro. Or give him a new theme. Either way, his current one is awful.

Agreed. I would've said Keith Lee at one point, but at least they've changed that up already.

The only one who NEEDS a change NOW is the Tribal Chief.

Agreed. I would've said Keith Lee at one point, but at least they've changed that up already.

The only one who NEEDS a change NOW is the Tribal Chief.
Absolutely. It amazes me how mid-carders get new music when they break from a team, but their biggest star is still recycling The Shield's old music.

Forgot all about Takeover. Seems like it was a good show.

I feel like on multiple occasions over the last few years, I've read comments such as "Vince just needs to drop dead", when someone has been frustrated with the direction of the product. I'm not referring to anything I've seen here, so if someone here has said something similar, I've missed it......plus, you know, I haven't read every post in an 8-year-old thread.

But I see stuff like that and think.......really? Fake fighting is that important to some that they'd wish death on someone to get a better fictional storyline?

We live in a world where so much is available to us at a given moment, whether it be knowledge or entertainment.......and some are still mad that WWE isn't as entertaining as it was over 20 years ago.

I feel like on multiple occasions over the last few years, I've read comments such as "Vince just needs to drop dead", when someone has been frustrated with the direction of the product. I'm not referring to anything I've seen here, so if someone here has said something similar, I've missed it......plus, you know, I haven't read every post in an 8-year-old thread.

But I see stuff like that and think.......really? Fake fighting is that important to some that they'd wish death on someone to get a better fictional storyline?

We live in a world where so much is available to us at a given moment, whether it be knowledge or entertainment.......and some are still mad that WWE isn't as entertaining as it was over 20 years ago.
I know that you hedged by saying you weren't necessarily talking about anything anyone said here, but I am going to take the liberty of defending the group here as if you or someone else had.

Wrestling isn't just "fake fighting" to us. It's something we grew up watching and bonded with others over - whether it be a father who took us to local events when we were young, brothers who would build make-shift rings in our den with us so we could wrassle around like we were our heroes that we watched on television, best friends who had the shared interest it, etc. While we had the usual boyhood dreams of making the game-winning play to win the Super Bowl, the last second shot to win the NBA championship, etc., we also dreamt about main-eventing Wrestlemania or cutting the most epic promo the wrestling industry had ever seen. Maybe we still even do a bit of that today. We didn't get and stay into it because it was trendy and would pop mainstream interest for a cycle here and there. We are invested...rather heavily at times by craving and sharing knowledge of what is going on with it in front of the scenes and behind.

That all said, anyone seriously wishing for Vince's death is taking it too far. I would suspect though that much of such talk is hyperbolic...similar to someone who outspokenly wishes harm to Roger Goodell so that the NFL could hopefully then get a new and better commissioner. But just as if Roger were to pass away soon, there would be a rather quelled relief and hope for a better NFL product as a result, yes, too, there will be that feeling after Vince passes in regard to the WWE product. Make no mistake about it though. Vince's death, when it inevitably happens, will be the biggest and most widely mourned passing that the industry has ever experienced, extremely likely to never be topped

I know that you hedged by saying you weren't necessarily talking about anything anyone said here, but I am going to take the liberty of defending the group here as if you or someone else had.

Wrestling isn't just "fake fighting" to us. It's something we grew up watching and bonded with others over - whether it be a father who took us to local events when we were young, brothers who would build make-shift rings in our den with us so we could wrassle around like we were our heroes that we watched on television, best friends who had the shared interest it, etc. While we had the usual boyhood dreams of making the game-winning play to win the Super Bowl, the last second shot to win the NBA championship, etc., we also dreamt about main-eventing Wrestlemania or cutting the most epic promo the wrestling industry had ever seen. Maybe we still even do a bit of that today. We didn't get and stay into it because it was trendy and would pop mainstream interest for a cycle here and there. We are invested...rather heavily at times by craving and sharing knowledge of what is going on with it in front of the scenes and behind.

That all said, anyone seriously wishing for Vince's death is taking it too far. I would suspect though that much of such talk is hyperbolic...similar to someone who outspokenly wishes harm to Roger Goodell so that the NFL could hopefully then get a new and better commissioner. But just as if Roger were to pass away soon, there would be a rather quelled relief and hope for a better NFL product as a result, yes, too, there will be that feeling after Vince passes in regard to the WWE product. Make no mistake about it though. Vince's death, when it inevitably happens, will be the biggest and most widely mourned passing that the industry has ever experienced, extremely likely to never be topped

I grew up on pro wrestling as well.......I used "fake fighting" more for perspective purposes in the cases of those saying Vince needed to die, not to denigrate the industry.

Between the 3-hour Raws and eventually reaching a point within the last 5 to 6 years where I found it to be less and less of a big deal to not only miss weeks (and eventually months) of WWE programming, I eventually came to the conclusion that the product simply wasn't worth following on a consistent basis. I didn't get angry at Vince, or Stephanie, or whoever currently catches the brunt of the internet wrestling community wrath. And I certainly would never feel any form of relief/optimism from seeing someone at the top of that company pass, just because "well maybe now so and so can get a push". And yet, as mentioned, I've seen that comment about Vince get made on multiple occasions over the last few years.

I grew up on pro wrestling as well.......I used "fake fighting" more for perspective purposes in the cases of those saying Vince needed to die, not to denigrate the industry.

Between the 3-hour Raws and eventually reaching a point within the last 5 to 6 years where I found it to be less and less of a big deal to not only miss weeks (and eventually months) of WWE programming, I eventually came to the conclusion that the product simply wasn't worth following on a consistent basis. I didn't get angry at Vince, or Stephanie, or whoever currently catches the brunt of the internet wrestling community wrath. And I certainly would never feel any form of relief/optimism from seeing someone at the top of that company pass, just because "well maybe now so and so can get a push". And yet, as mentioned, I've seen that comment about Vince get made on multiple occasions over the last few years.

Well, the vitriol isn't all that uncommon regardless of the industry you're in. There are always sick people out there wishing bad things on people in whatever industry. This doesn't strike me as something unique to the wrestling industry.

People are extremist weirdos on the internet. I guess that's the "stan" mentality with fandoms now.

I also think there's this implicit understanding that Vince McMahon is kind of a garbage human being (which he is) that makes people comfortable saying stuff like that.

Like I said, anyone who says such a thing and genuinely means it is taking it too far. I would still have to question as how much of such talk is genuine vs. how much is just hyperbolic for Internet effect. You know...the "Justin Bieber and everyone involved in his type of music needs to die a slow death" type of 'Ooh, I'm so disgusted over here behind my computer' thing.

You are clearly not alone in terms of how you feel about the current WWE product. This thread isn't nearly what it used to be when the WWE was putting out something better...when John Cena was still a full-time sports entertainer giving the industry the life blood it needed to be vibrant and enjoyable. Do I want Vince to die so that we could potentially have more going on here for us in the thread? Certainly not. Would we enjoy the thread more if after Vince passes, the product gets markedly better? I would think we would while perhaps not so outwardly saying (but definitely still understanding the catalyst as to) why it got better.

I don't wish Vince to die, I don't believe anyone who posts in this group does either. If you watch the content on a consistent basis you can see our frustration because the content could be very fun or amazing, but everything goes through Vince.

I love NXT, because it's good story telling with great wrestling. Doesn't have the star power of Raw or Smackdown (basically developmental) but it delivers. So then I think of the other two brands, and it's crazy the amount of star power they have for it only to come across as meh most of the time. Which comes down to a common denominator, which is Vince.

BoxerJoe's post was beautifully said.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom