Official Wrasslin' Thread (renamed to reflect the discussion) (7 Viewers)

Like I said, anyone who says such a thing and genuinely means it is taking it too far. I would still have to question as how much of such talk is genuine vs. how much is just hyperbolic for Internet effect. You know...the "Justin Bieber and everyone involved in his type of music needs to die a slow death" type of 'Ooh, I'm so disgusted over here behind my computer' thing.
This thread isn't nearly what it used to be when the WWE was putting out something better...when John Cena was still a full-time sports entertainer giving the industry the life blood it needed to be vibrant and enjoyable.

It's kind of funny to consider that John Cena is (correctly) being retrospectively viewed as a significant net positive to the industry, when for a solid portion of his run it was "We've Cena Nuff", "Ugh, Super Cena".....and people screaming for him to turn heel.

I think there became this assumption that him turning heel would basically be a Hollywood Hogan moment......and while I don't think it would have had nearly that big of an impact, I do think Cena should have at least attempted it. I wonder if they were afraid that he would eventually just become the "cool heel", and then you end up with a 2001 Austin situation where this supposed epic heel turn happened at Wrestlemania, but by the end of the year he's playing a guitar and singing Christmas carols.

It's kind of funny to consider that John Cena is (correctly) being retrospectively viewed as a significant net positive to the industry, when for a solid portion of his run it was "We've Cena Nuff", "Ugh, Super Cena".....and people screaming for him to turn heel.

I think there became this assumption that him turning heel would basically be a Hollywood Hogan moment......and while I don't think it would have had nearly that big of an impact, I do think Cena should have at least attempted it. I wonder if they were afraid that he would eventually just become the "cool heel", and then you end up with a 2001 Austin situation where this supposed epic heel turn happened at Wrestlemania, but by the end of the year he's playing a guitar and singing Christmas carols.

You just poked the bear bro! and I love it!!
Go get him Joe!!!!!

And I agree with Joe, this thread and wrestling used to be something I looked forward to and was excited about. I can't remember the last time I was excited about wrestling, at least in terms of WWE. AEW and possibly New japan might be changing that.

Go get him Joe!!!!!

And I agree with Joe, this thread and wrestling used to be something I looked forward to and was excited about. I can't remember the last time I was excited about wrestling, at least in terms of WWE. AEW and possibly New japan might be changing that.

Far as the E is concerned, for me, the most exciting was when this thing first kicked off - New Orleans' first Mania.

Far as the E is concerned, for me, the most exciting was when this thing first kicked off - New Orleans' first Mania.

I was there.

Even at that point, particularly compared to other times in my life, I was only marginally into the product. But come on, it was WrestleMania, and that needed to be crossed off my bucket list.

Plus who knew I would get to witness The Undertaker's streak ending? I think pretty much every one of us in attendance was the black guy with the glasses in the front row.....he just had the more legendary facial reaction to it.

It's a case of "don't know what you've got until it's gone." Just in my casual viewing of wrestling stuff on Youtube, I can't tell you how widely I've seen the appreciation for Cena and how good he helped make the WWE product. As someone who has always felt comfortable talking the guy up [durr, obviously], it just seems so bizarre to see so many other wrestling fans comfortably talking so favorably about him now, too.

I just happened to see something on Youtube a couple days ago that talked about the possible heel thing. Supposedly, Vince listened to the pitch for it and actually gave it consideration but ultimately opted to stay with the sure thing. And that's something I actually mentioned in this thread way back when. Could turning Cena heel have worked? Absolutely, it could have. Even if creative wouldn't have had 5 star caliber storylines lined up for him, that would have been okay with a polished veteran like Cena who you could trust to improvise and carry a mic work segment if need be. Would all that have translated into a bigger audience for Raw and more buys for the PPVs though? Dunno, and that's where the real gamble would have been. There would have been nothing guaranteed to fully make up for the Brink's trucks of money that Cena's face merchandise was pulling in. Could the IWC have gotten on board with a Cena heel turn? Sure, since they were the ones clamoring most for it. Would they have contributed to help offset the money lost from his merchandising sales as a face by buying his new heel gear? I would have absolutely had my doubts. In addition to all that, Cena was a great PR guy as a face for the company with all the Make-A-Wish and other stuff.

Sadly, we may be deprived of seeing our hero at Wrestlemania this year. Cena put out word that, due to filming a movie in Canada with severe Covid restrictions applying, he won't be able to be at WM. What do you guys think? Might he just be trying to pull one over on us so he can surprise us by showing up? Obviously, he would want to be there, especially since it will be in Tampa and he resides in Florida.

Go get him Joe!!!!!
Cenation running things up in this place now!
iu

Anyone else think this Exploding Barb Wire Death match between Omega and Moxley is going to be one huge fuster cluck

I also miss the days of when we would watch Raw together and this thread was one of the most active here. I haven’t watched WWE programming in months which sucks because I actually like some of the talent they have there. Even with AEW I’ve missed some shows but that’s due to me forgetting it was on because I work most Wednesdays but I am getting a little bored with the NWO type ending the last couple weeks but it fits the story they are telling

I also miss the days of when we would watch Raw together and this thread was one of the most active here. I haven’t watched WWE programming in months which sucks because I actually like some of the talent they have there. Even with AEW I’ve missed some shows but that’s due to me forgetting it was on because I work most Wednesdays but I am getting a little bored with the NWO type ending the last couple weeks but it fits the story they are telling
I miss those days as well. Honestly, though, the only WWE show worth watching is Smackdown, and that's really just due to Reigns. His heel run is everything we all thought it could be and more. The rest? Even when it isn't outright bad, it's still kinda ho-hum.

That said, I am looking forward to Elimination Chamber this weekend. That show has been pretty good the last few years.

I really barely follow WWE at all anymore. I will check in every now and again but aside from Reigns it all just feels so stale. And even with him its obvious there's no real endgame or long term plan in mind. They've got a great character but not a great angle.

NXT no longer really interests me. Ot once felt new and exciting bit...eh. AEW I check out but I feel like it's settled into what it is now and have kind of lost the excitement.

I don't know. I'm just not super into wrestling at the moment.

So Asuka/Lacy Evans seems to have been cancelled for tonight and Keith Lee has been pulled from the US title shot tonight at EC according to PW Insider. They already had a short card tonight.

So Asuka/Lacy Evans seems to have been cancelled for tonight and Keith Lee has been pulled from the US title shot tonight at EC according to PW Insider. They already had a short card tonight.
Supposedly, Lee is dealing with an injury. I hope that's all it is. He's being replaced in the match by Morrison.

Supposedly, Lee is dealing with an injury. I hope that's all it is. He's being replaced in the match by Morrison.

Yeah. Hopefully this means Lashley retains because Morrison nor Riddle are impressive.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom